EALC - Fall 2016

Update: Not sure if anybody on here applied this year, but I heard from my POI at Cornell that we should know something about the Asian Literature, Religion, and Culture PhD program soon (I applied for South and Southeast Asia concentrations). Fingers, toes, and just about everything else crossed...

Edited by Samahito

Congratulations!! That's so great! 

So far, I have only heard from one school, and only informally - UCLA (Asian Languages and Cultures Dept). They have been really friendly and helpful. I spoke with someone there today who said they were preparing the materials and they should go out soon - so if anyone else is waiting to hear back from them, it might not be much longer!

7 hours ago, StrumundDrang said:

Just got admission e-mail from Harvard EALC! I'm over the moon!!!

Congratulations! That is amazing!

Glad to hear EALCers are finally getting some good news :)

I'm pretty ready to make my decision but still waiting on a couple schools (UCLA and Vanderbilt for History).

16 hours ago, fencergirl said:

Congratulations! That is amazing!

Glad to hear EALCers are finally getting some good news :)

I'm pretty ready to make my decision but still waiting on a couple schools (UCLA and Vanderbilt for History).

Thanks :) I also heard from Stanford history dept. that I am in the wait list, and my POI really wants me to wait for it. Still waiting for Columbia decision.

Edited by StrumundDrang

On 2016. 2. 10. at 2:36 AM, StrumundDrang said:

Just got admission e-mail from Harvard EALC! I'm over the moon!!!

Hello, StrumundDrang. Congratulations on your admission to Harvard EALC! 

If you don't mind, could you let me know which programs did you apply for? EALC or HEAL? I applied for the HEAL program, but I never have heard from them.. 

I've applied to EALC, Korean history program. Don't know wheather they notice admissions separately, but at least you haven't received rejection yet, I would recommend you to hang on there for a little bit more :)

Edited by StrumundDrang

2 hours ago, StrumundDrang said:

I've applied to EALC, Korean history program. Don't know wheather they notice admissions separately, but at least you haven't received rejection yet, I would recommend you to hang on there for a little bit more :)

You are right! Thank you for your encouragement and congratulations once again :) 

On 2/13/2016 at 11:25 AM, daniel345 said:

Congratulations on all the great news. Very excited! I have been accepted to the University of Washington and the University of Hawaii. Super happy :)))) I hope more good news will continue to hit the members of this thread.

Congratulations! I heard from Hawaii as well, on the 13th, got into the MA program. I probably wont be able to go there because of lack of funding, though. Are you considering them? I did their summer intensive interpreter training program several years ago and loved it there. 

So far, besides Hawaii I have heard from UC Irivine (on the 11th, a rejection). I really hope I hear from UCLA soon. Wishing everyone else speedy notifications and admission to their top choices!

1 hour ago, withoutdoing said:

Congratulations! I heard from Hawaii as well, on the 13th, got into the MA program. I probably wont be able to go there because of lack of funding, though. Are you considering them? I did their summer intensive interpreter training program several years ago and loved it there. 

So far, besides Hawaii I have heard from UC Irivine (on the 11th, a rejection). I really hope I hear from UCLA soon. Wishing everyone else speedy notifications and admission to their top choices!

Thanks! :) Yes, I am strongly considering the offer. I really do like the program, and I received a highly encouraging email from a POI. However, I am waiting on info about funding. What is it like to live in Hawaii.

Also, I just got admission e-mail from Ohio State DEALL MA program. No word on funding yet. Does anyone know what funding is like at OSU?

I hope you get good news soon!

Edited by daniel345

41 minutes ago, daniel345 said:

Thanks! :) Yes, I am strongly considering the offer. I really do like the program, and I received a highly encouraging email from a POI. However, I am waiting on info about funding. What is it like to live in Hawaii.

Also, I just got admission e-mail from Ohio State DEALL MA program. No word on funding yet. Does anyone know what funding is like at OSU?

I hope you get good news soon!

Thanks! Me too!

Re: Hawaii - I was only there for two months, but I absolutely loved it. I lived just off campus at the YMCA, the campus itself is gorgeous and an easy walk from the grocery store, a few cafes and restaurants, and some hiking, regular buses to shopping, movies, and the beach. As far as weather, environment, and lifestyle, it's the best place I've ever lived. I have had friends in the military who were stationed there for longer periods and got a bit stir crazy after a year or two. It does depend on your priorities and what you like in a place/program, but I have only positive things to say about it. 

On 2016/2/16 at 0:29 PM, withoutdoing said:

Thanks! Me too!

Re: Hawaii - I was only there for two months, but I absolutely loved it. I lived just off campus at the YMCA, the campus itself is gorgeous and an easy walk from the grocery store, a few cafes and restaurants, and some hiking, regular buses to shopping, movies, and the beach. As far as weather, environment, and lifestyle, it's the best place I've ever lived. I have had friends in the military who were stationed there for longer periods and got a bit stir crazy after a year or two. It does depend on your priorities and what you like in a place/program, but I have only positive things to say about it. 

Many, many thanks, withoutdoing. This is very, very helpful. :)

Also, I saw some new posts on the results page. Congrats to the new admits!

Edited by daniel345

I got accepted to the PhD program in East Asian linguistics at UCLA! I'm so happy - It was my first choice and I've had such a positive experience with everyone I've interacted with there. Now all I have left to do is plan out what books to read before I get there and figure out how to move my travel-anxious cat across the country. Anyone else thinking about UCLA or other LA area schools?

Hoorary! Congrats, withoutdoing! I know the thought and process of moving is so stressful isn't it? It will work out in the end though! Not going to LA but from SoCal originally so I can maybe answer some general questions :)

Edited by fencergirl

Thanks @kyjin and @fencergirl!! I may ask you some questions once I get down to the moving details. Right now I'm drawing up reading plans and budgets! Good luck to everyone still waiting on more decisions! I got three rejections in a row before this decision, which was the last one I was waiting on.