EALC - Fall 2016

20 hours ago, daniel345 said:

Hi, machacreampuff. I would choose UCLA, given that they have a stronger (if not the strongest) Film/TV/Media faculty than UCSB does per my knowledge. Have the professors at UCSB or UCLA contacted you? I would choose the school which has the more (most) encouraging professor(s).

I just saw one UMich admit. Does anyone want to claim it?

Hey, daniel345, I got into the Ph.D program at UMich (full funding). I am thrilled about that!!! Because I am still an undergraduate student, I am flattered to be admitted to such a wonderful program at UMi.

But now I also have some other concerns.  I got offers of master programs at Yale, Columbia, and Chicago but wait-listed by Harvard (sign....). I'm not sure if I really want to give up the chance to go to those big-name schools and directly attend a Ph.D program without a master degree. I know that the program at UMi is amazing, but I have to admit that I am having a hard time deciding which program I really want to go. I have heard many people said that students who have a degree from an ivy league will be able to find a job much more easily. Does anyone have any suggestion on the decision making for me? Thanks a lot! 

Edited by bushiwo

3 hours ago, bushiwo said:

Hey, daniel345, I got into the Ph.D program at UMich (full funding). I am thrilled about that!!! Because I am still an undergraduate student, I am flattered to be admitted to such a wonderful program at UMi.

But now I also have some other concerns.  I got offers of master programs at Yale, Columbia, and Chicago but wait-listed by Harvard (sign....). I'm not sure if I really want to give up the chance to go to those big-name schools and directly attend a Ph.D program without a master degree. I know that the program at UMi is amazing, but I have to admit that I am having a hard time deciding which program I really want to go. I have heard many people said that students who have a degree from an ivy league will be able to find a job much more easily. Does anyone have any suggestion on the decision making for me? Thanks a lot! 

Hi, bushiwo. If funding is an issue, I would take the funding. If not, I would make my decision based on my research interests. May I ask what your areas of concentration/specializations are? I think most important is getting into a program with at least two (three would be better) professors who are specialized in your areas, who are most interested in your main concerns, and who take you very seriously. :)

11 hours ago, kyjin said:

If you're choosing between funded and unfunded masters: TAKE THE FUNDING! Even for Harvard, it's not worth going into that much debt when you have an option that will pay. That said, you may want to contact Harvard (or any other MAs you were accepted to and still interested in) and let them know about the funding from UCLA. They may be able to give you more money, but you never know. 

Thank you @kyjin! I'll definitely keep this in mind and try to see if Harvard can give me some funding.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2016 at 10:40 PM, daniel345 said:

It's April! How's everybody doing?  :huh:

Pretty good! Got some recommended reading from my professor so I'm working through that. Saving up money to move/be a grad student. Still waiting for the official email/latter from the school itself (??) but it appears all settled at the department level. Did you hear from Hawaii about funding yet? 

On 2016/4/4 at 11:05 AM, withoutdoing said:

Pretty good! Got some recommended reading from my professor so I'm working through that. Saving up money to move/be a grad student. Still waiting for the official email/latter from the school itself (??) but it appears all settled at the department level. Did you hear from Hawaii about funding yet? 

Sounds great! Hawaii have offered me partial funding, and I am waiting for more information from the school, as well as Washington and Oregon. I look forward to more good news.

Has everyone settled down?

Edited by daniel345

Hi, I got offers from the University of Washington (PhD in Asian Languages & Literature) and the University of Hawaii at Manoa (PhD in East Asian Languages and Literatures), and I am struggling between the two. Hawaii has offered me partial funding, and I am waiting for funding information from Washington. My research area of interest is modern/contemporary Chinese literature and East Asian cinema. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

On 4/8/2016 at 10:30 AM, daniel345 said:

Hi, I got offers from the University of Washington (PhD in Asian Languages & Literature) and the University of Hawaii at Manoa (PhD in East Asian Languages and Literatures), and I am struggling between the two. Hawaii has offered me partial funding, and I am waiting for funding information from Washington. My research area of interest is modern/contemporary Chinese literature and East Asian cinema. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Have you sent along the offer from Hawaii to UWashington? May help with negotiating funding (though shouldn't UWashington have given you funding info by now?). I'd advise against entering any PhD program that doesn't offer full funding; the degree isn't worth going into debt for. (And the cost of living in both places is rather high...)