English MA's that include teacher certification

This is an example of the type of program I'm talking about, for those not familiar:

http://nau.edu/CAL/English/Degrees-Programs/Graduate/MA-Secondary-English-Education/

I've been researching MFA programs (Creative Writing) for years but have only just recently started to look into programs like this. My primary concerns are whether

1) These programs actually include ALL the coursework needed to acquire a teacher certification. I looked into a post-BA licensing program once -- one that didn't even confer a master's degree! -- and they said that, with all the content area courses I'd have to take (having majored in Communication rather than English, History, etc. for my undergrad) I'd end up taking more than 60 credit hours, so these 30-40 hr programs seem too good to be true; and

2) What the funding situation at these programs is like. For instance, I know that many MFA's are fully funded, and even those that aren't not uncommonly offer stipends of $15k or more, tuition remission, etc. I've found many MA program sites tend to be more cagey with this type of info, however.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I think you would be hard pressed to find an MA (or even MFA) that prepares you for HS teaching and offers funding. What is sounds like you are looking for is an MAT (Masters of Arts in Teaching) in English Education, which is usually a 12 month program that requires classroom work (and therefor can't offer assistantships). You may get lucky and find an external assistantship for a program like that, but you won't usually have a TA/RA with tuition/healthcare. These are still usually the cheapest way to get qualified to teach HS (depending on state/county), but ymmv.

Even with a program like that, you likely need to complete additional undergraduate courses in order to be certified in a particular state. There's often little funding for those types of programs. If you want to do a post-bacc certification, you might be better off looking into programs offered by community colleges or other agencies. In Georgia, there's something called GaTAPP where you can actually teach on a provisional certificate while completing the work to become certified. Something like that could be an option for you.

If you do find a funded MFA program, you could see if you could take the undergrad English courses you need while enrolled using your tuition waiver. You'd still likely have to do an alternative certification program though. 

At my home institution there's a program http://www.ccny.cuny.edu/education/cert_certification_programs.cfm, but it's definitely not funded. The NYC teaching fellows program IS however, and it's fairly fantastic if you can relocate to NYC. There's also a loan forgiveness program for teaching in needy schools in NYC which may also be worth looking into.

Thanks for all the great info so far!

I will definitely look into the NYC and GaTAPP programs, as I'm quite open to relocating pretty much anywhere. Most of my family and friends, coincidentally, are looking at leaving Ohio within the next year or two, so before too long there won't be much keeping me in the Buckeye state anyway.

Plenty of other states also offer alternative certification programs so just use Google to find them. Florida: http://www.fldoe.org/teaching/certification/pathways-routes/state-approved-alternative-certificati.stml but also I know that most of the rapidly growing in population states (Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona) have similar programs too.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...