Post-grad in NYC

nongfuspring1

Next year my partner and I will be moving to NYC and I've been thinking of trying to start out my time in the city with an MFA or decent residency. Since I'm a foreigner I'm a bit apprehensive about diving into a city where I don't know anyone and has a reputation for having such an overcrowded art scene so I'm really looking for ways to develop networks, especially since my CV is full of European and Asia-Pacific names that won't have much street cred in the states. I thought that a well regarded postgrad program/residency might be a way of developing that foothold more rapidly, with the added benefit of developing my practice in the process. 

In terms of my background I'm 28, a painter, have done 6+ funded international residencies, have a dealer, won a major national award, a decent press kit, have an MFA already though technically it was by dissertation not practice, and half a PhD in philosophy (awkward). At the moment (like quite a few other people it seems...) I'm eyeing up the Yale MFA program in painting, but I'm also open to other programs providing they have sufficient funding and would actually be worth doing (NYU? Hunter?). Would that previous written MFA be enough to automatically take me out of the running for a painting specific program?

And, aside from the post-grad stuff, how about residencies? I'm interested in the Whitney ISP, though I get the feeling (correct me if I'm wrong) that the ISP seems more geared towards post-studio practice which probably wouldn't make for a great match for me. Are there any similar programs in or around NYC that might be worth looking into?

Thanks so much in advance, and sorry if the post is a bit vague. It seems I've still a lot to figure out, so any opinions greatly appreciated. 

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "post-studio" practice in terms of the Whitney ISP, but from what I've read on here about it, it seems to favor highly conceptual artists. I have a friend who did that program and his work is very, very conceptual (although he makes a lot of objects as well). Search the forums a bit and see what people have said about it, it might be a good fit for you depending on your work. 

I think, since you already seem to have an established practice, if I were you, I would focus on residencies. There are a TON in NY: Yaddo, Lower Manhattan Cultural Center, Smack Mellon, to name a few. Just search around. There are also good ones outside of NY like Skowhegan.

As for the MFA, whether or not some programs are worth it really depends on what you want from the experience--to establish a network, focus on your practice, mentorship, or whatever.  Also, I don't think having one already would knock you out, but I'm sure it will raise questions as to why you want another one. Again, I would focus on residencies instead of bothering with another MFA. 

Thanks for the reply cpw. 

By post-studio I mean conceptual artists that aren't tied to a particular material practice and don't personally produce objects. I assume this to be the case since I've heard their working spaces are cubicles and there at least seems to be quite a lean to theoretical research. While I'd love to get it I might be a bit too hands on to make an ideal fit - that said I'll probably give it a go anyway. 

That's good advice re: residencies vs. MFAs, I'll definitely do more research into opportunities around NY, thanks for the suggestions so far. 

Whitney ISP accepts people who do the plastic arts. 
A written Masters Thesis will not disqualify you from getting into an MFA program.
Just remember, 750 people apply to those programs per year and 7 get in, that's less than 1% chance.

I think the previous experience elsewhere makes you a better candidate.

You might want to open up your scope of schools. Hunter CUNY is legit. Also there's Bard's program only during the summers.

• 4 weeks later...

Residencies seem like a good fit for you.  You might want to check out http://residencyunlimited.org/about/ as most of the residents are international artists and is set up expressly for accomplished artists to develop their work and make a meaningful connection to NYC.

I am a first year MFA student at SUNY Purchase.  I would say of the 15 students in the program (both years) 3-4 have your level of accomplishment--prestigious awards, residencies, representation, etc.  All are in this particular program to make better connections with dealers, funders, artists in the city while still managing to focus on their practice.  The program is run by Faye Hirsch who is Sr Editor at Art in America and is a long-time outside critic for Yale and other high prestige programs. The funding is generally good.  SUNY Purchase might make for a reasonable Plan B if Yale, Whitney don't pan out.  

Best of luck.

Residencies seem like a good fit for you.  You might want to check out http://residencyunlimited.org/about/ as most of the residents are international artists and is set up expressly for accomplished artists to develop their work and make a meaningful connection to NYC.

I am a first year MFA student at SUNY Purchase.  I would say of the 15 students in the program (both years) 3-4 have your level of accomplishment--prestigious awards, residencies, representation, etc.  All are in this particular program to make better connections with dealers, funders, artists in the city while still managing to focus on their practice.  The program is run by Faye Hirsch who is Sr Editor at Art in America and is a long-time outside critic for Yale and other high prestige programs. The funding is generally good.  SUNY Purchase might make for a reasonable Plan B if Yale, Whitney don't pan out.  

Best of luck.

Thanks, that's a handy website. It seems you're really happy with your program (as opposed to the usual MFA despair) and I'm pleased to hear there are others in a similar-ish boat using your program to leverage open opportunities in the city. I'll investigate Purchase, some of the faculty seem interesting but I'm not so hot on the student work on the website. 

Ha! I didn't even know there was an online gallery.  Please keep in mind that Purchase is predominantly an undergraduate program and that's the work that appears in the gallery.  For MFAs this means small program but great facilities.  The program is far from perfect but I think this is going to work for me. 

In any event, I'm not trying to sell you on Purchase.  I do think it is an undervalued alternative to very expensive programs. 

Sounds like you know your own mind, which is crucial.  Best of luck.  Hope one of residencies turns out well for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that residencies seem like a much better fit for you right now. Sounds like you already have a portfolio and are well versed with the application process. Check CAA and NYFA for residency listings and opportunities. Reach out to your current networks to see who they can connect you to in the city, even if it's just to have someone to see shows or grab a drink with. Keep in mind,  as an international student, the expense of a degree program in the US is even more burdensome than for domestic students and as established as you sound there may not be many benefits for you. Also, if this is a permanent move, I believe that once you've established NYC residency for a year (you'll need to fact check that) Hunter will be a much more affordable option.

Thanks coach. Those are good points, especially about the costs relating to being an international student. I think my plan is that if I am going to do any further study it would only be on the condition I were able to graduate debt free, which I suppose is pretty unlikely. 

Looking over the admissions materials for Yale it seems I have nearly all of it already so I will give it a shot anyway, but I will definitely weight my efforts towards residencies/grants. 

And thanks Eliza, I hope I didn't come across as abrasive with my comment.