cheaper program

Hi! My biggest concerns for SLP program is the tuition fee. Some programs cost around 150,000 USD including living housing, meals etc. That is a big burden to me and I cannot 

apply for loans in the states. Do you know if there is any programs that are much cheaper? Thx!

Most state schools offer tuition that is less expensive than a private (without factoring in any financial aid one would receive.) Also, states in the midwest/South (Kansas, Mississippi) tend to run cheaper than the coasts. 

I would do two things: 

1. Make a list of programs you like. Spend time adding up the tuition they would cost. I did this for about twenty programs, it took me about 15 minutes per program. A lot of times you have to see how many units the program is, then multiply that, add on the additional fees, etc. 

2. Search "cheapest graduate schools" on Google, while also searching to see if any programs match up on Asha EdFind as offering a Masters for speech. 

Most state schools offer tuition that is less expensive than a private (without factoring in any financial aid one would receive.) Also, states in the midwest/South (Kansas, Mississippi) tend to run cheaper than the coasts. 

I would do two things: 

1. Make a list of programs you like. Spend time adding up the tuition they would cost. I did this for about twenty programs, it took me about 15 minutes per program. A lot of times you have to see how many units the program is, then multiply that, add on the additional fees, etc. 

2. Search "cheapest graduate schools" on Google, while also searching to see if any programs match up on Asha EdFind as offering a Masters for speech. 

This is not entirely true. Do not assume that private schools are always more expensive than state schools, especially when paying out-of-state/nonresident tuition. While it is true that undergraduate studies at a private university are very expensive, many private universities have graduate programs that cost significantly less than undergraduate and do not charge out-of-state fees. Jacksonville University is one, whose undergraduate tuition is $1,085/credit while the MS-SLP program is $720/credit. This amounts to about 36,000 for the whole program. For comparison, non-resident graduate tuition at the University of Florida is about 30,000/year.

My program at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Oklahoma is $500/credit hour for non-residents. This amounts to about $25,500 for the whole program. In addition, rent is very cheap at about $400/month for a two bedroom apartment. The University of South Dakota is also relatively cheap for out-of-staters/nonresidents I hear.

Are you not an American citizen? Do you have to pay international fees?

Edited by Pennsatucky

This is not entirely true. Do not assume that private schools are always more expensive than state schools, especially when paying out-of-state/nonresident tuition. While it is true that undergraduate studies at a private university are very expensive, many private universities have graduate programs that cost significantly less than undergraduate and do not charge out-of-state fees. Jacksonville University is one, whose undergraduate tuition is $1,085/credit while the MS-SLP program is $720/credit. This amounts to about 36,000 for the whole program. For comparison, non-resident graduate tuition at the University of Florida is about 30,000/year.

My program at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Oklahoma is $500/credit hour for non-residents. This amounts to about $25,500 for the whole program. In addition, rent is very cheap at about $400/month for a two bedroom apartment. The University of South Dakota is also relatively cheap for out-of-staters/nonresidents I hear.

Thank you so much for your information! That's very helpful!  Yes I need to pay at International rates, but I guess that will be same as out-of-state rate for most universities? 

Hopefully i can get accepted in one of those...

Thanks Pennsatucky, I had not actually explored tuition rates beyond my (very small) sample pool of schools I had priced out.

$400 for a two bedroom!? I currently pay $3250/month for a two bedroom in a rather sketchy part of town!

Thanks Pennsatucky, I had not actually explored tuition rates beyond my (very small) sample pool of schools I had priced out.

$400 for a two bedroom!? I currently pay $3250/month for a two bedroom in a rather sketchy part of town!

oh my gosh where do you live? Yea, my rent is that cheap. It would be $200/person but I live alone. 

I would do two things: 

yea, I concur. This is very good advice, especially #2. 

Hi! My biggest concerns for SLP program is the tuition fee. Some programs cost around 150,000 USD including living housing, meals etc. That is a big burden to me and I cannot 

apply for loans in the states. Do you know if there is any programs that are much cheaper? Thx!

Hey! You may be interested in Minot State University. A couple of my colleagues did their leveling there and spoke very highly of the faculty.

From the program website (http://www.minotstateu.edu/cdse/cd/):

"All students pay in-state tuition
Minot State University (North Dakota) is making it affordable for any student in the world to receive a top-notch education from one of the premiere universities in the Great Plains. Whether you're from Texas, China, Washington, Colorado, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Norway or Alberta, you will pay the North Dakota in-state tuition rate when you enroll in on-campus courses."

Annual tuition is about $8000. Wow!

Hey! You may be interested in Minot State University. A couple of my colleagues did their leveling there and spoke very highly of the faculty.

From the program website (http://www.minotstateu.edu/cdse/cd/):

"All students pay in-state tuition
Minot State University (North Dakota) is making it affordable for any student in the world to receive a top-notch education from one of the premiere universities in the Great Plains. Whether you're from Texas, China, Washington, Colorado, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Norway or Alberta, you will pay the North Dakota in-state tuition rate when you enroll in on-campus courses."

Annual tuition is about $8000. Wow!

WOW!!!!!!! Pennsatucky you will change my life!!!!!!!!!!! Thx a looooooot!