Do I Need a Pub to get into a Social Psych PhD. Program?

Moemoemoe

Looking to apply to social psych programs for this upcoming application season. I'd love some feedback on what you guys think and whether I would be a competitive candidate!

• Graduated with B.A. in psychology from state school 
    • overall GPA: 3.12
    • major GPA: 3.79
  • GRE: V=160 (85%), Q=156 (64%), W=4.5 (80%).
  • I have 3 years of research experience in my lab and have a managerial title (not THE lab manger), as well as nearly a year of experience as a paid research technician for an NIH grant (both research positions are related to my field of interest).
  • I have 2 poster presentations, and about 4 oral presentations on my CV (middle or last on author list).
  • I have a fairly clear view of where I want to be going research wise, and all my research experience has been relevant to my ultimate goals.
  • I have T.A.ed for 3 classes as an undergrad, and have taken a graduate seminar for credit when I was enrolled. 

As for schools I'm applying to, it's a lot (still narrowing my list, but I have about 25). Some of my top choices include:

• UVM
  • Stanford
  • University of Washington
  • University of Oregon
  • Indiana University - Bloomington
  • UC Berkeley
  • University of Connecticut
  • University of British Columbia

Is there a chance that I would be admitted to any of these social psych PhD. programs as a stand? Are there parts I need to work on (GRE's, Pubs, etc.)?

For your main post question - no, you don't need a pub.

That being said, social psych is murderously competitive. Oregon had like a 5% acceptance rate last year. So pubs aren't a requirement, but in this environment anything that can give you a leg up and prove that you're a hard working, passionate, insightful student is valuable. I didn't have any publications, but I did have research experience in a new technology that my PI was starting to use and no other applicant had that experience. I wasn't accepted anywhere else, and only got two other phone interviews. 

The best way to up your chances is to have valuable research experience, interests that closely align with the professor, and great writing skills to communicate all that. Even then, you also need a healthy dose of good luck. Upping your other stats helps a bit with that luck. 

The best way to up your chances is to have valuable research experience, interests that closely align with the professor, and great writing skills to communicate all that. Even then, you also need a healthy dose of good luck. Upping your other stats helps a bit with that luck. 

Very true stuff ^

It looks like you definitely have a good chance with all your experience and your clear research interests (just curious, what are they? I'm pretty familiar with the social areas at Stanford and UConn). Just be sure to carefully select your programs - I'm sure you're trying to work on that now. Find out if professors are taking students. If they aren't, save your money and send an app somewhere where you have a better chance. It really does involve a lot of luck. You have better GRE scores than I did but you also seem to have higher ranked programs on your list.

Pubs certainly don't hurt, but it looks like you have a clear research focus and lots of research experience.  What's important beyond that is to show independence: have you had any of your own projects?  I'd say that's the one thing that separates the wheat from the chaff when it comes to reviewing applicants, at least in my department.

I had no pubs and got into three programs. But it def. would not hurt your application. Make sure the top five things are in order and apply to more than one program. I applied to ten. Some of my other successful friends applied to six, seven, and twelve. You have to increase your odds of getting in. If you need any more advice you can pm. 

Honestly no, not at all I'd say. Maybe they can give you a slight, very marginal up on others but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket. From my limited perspective, it's goes like this:

is your GPA at a certain cut off point to show you're a good student in class ? If yes great that's something that will be more of less checked off as opposed to something that can be argued for in terms of admissions. For example I doubt professors will say "this student has a 4.0! " for someone with a 4 and weight that any different than for someone with a 3.5. 

Next are your GREs at the cutoff point? Read above. 

Now we get into the important stuff. How are your LORs? I'd say make sure you can get at least 2 very strong letters. By that I mean, letters from people you've worked for, who know you're a great student and will do their best to improve your chances as far as the LOR goes. 

Then, and I think these work together, what's your SOP focused on and what programs are you applying to? Is there one coherent story you're telling, does it make sense? How does it fit together with the research you've already done ? And what type of research have you done ? 

Lastly also very important and something we all have to come to terms with, there is A lot of variability, and a lot of things we just don't have control over. Small idiosyncrencies that play a roll in admissions so don't stress over those. 

Also so and I'm sure you already know but, make sure your prospective PIs are accepting students. 

I'm in a top 25 Social Program, and I had no publications, but I did have one conference presentation that was mine, first author (that won an award in my presentation session at a student conference). So see what you can do about doing your own research. Additionally, if it's an option to you, maybe beef up your GRE quant score or really highlight the extent to which you helped with the various projects' statistical analysis in your SOP (and maybe your letter writers can do that as well). The GRE won't necessarily keep you out, but it's just one more thing you have control of with a limited amount of time in a super competitive field. Additionally, as much as you can maintain fit with the various social psych departments, try to cast a wide net.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer your main question -- no, you definitely don't need any pub to get into a decent social psych program. Just show that you can think critically and independently about psychological research and have a mature idea about what you want to study in grad school -- this is enough I think. Your research experience definitely helps show your strength in conducting research, so it is pretty good!

I'd say that your overall GPA is a bit low but otherwise your profile is pretty solid. Maybe you can retake the GRE to improve your quant a little bit, if you have time -- but it is not necessary. Good luck :)