Practicality of taking both GRE and LSAT

Nico Corr

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to apply to law schools to study International Law or apply to grad schools to study some other aspect of International Relations. I know most Grad programs won't take GRE scores in lieu of the LSAT and Law schools won't except GRE. Does it make sense to take both the LSAT and GRE?

Yes, as long as you can afford it and give yourself sufficient time to study for both. The GRE was very easy for me; I scored above the 90th percentile on the first PowerPrep, which I took cold, as well as on the actual test. But I had booked my LSAT for a month after that, and a month was NOT enough time to study enough to get my target LSAT score. I ate the cost of registration rather than get a score like 15 points below what I wanted. (Luckily I then decided law school was a dumb idea for me anyway, but the preparation for the two tests doesn't overlap that much!)

Hi Nico Corr,

While there are some 'elements' that the GRE and LSAT share, they both consist of enough 'unique' material that you would need to invest some serious study time to properly prepare for each Exam. Since you're considering both Exams, it would help to better define your overall timeline.

When do you think you'll be applying to Grad School?

How much time do you think you can commit to studying each week?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nico Corr,

While there are some 'elements' that the GRE and LSAT share, they both consist of enough 'unique' material that you would need to invest some serious study time to properly prepare for each Exam. Since you're considering both Exams, it would help to better define your overall timeline.

When do you think you'll be applying to Grad School?

How much time do you think you can commit to studying each week?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

Thanks for your input. Sorry this is so late. I'm not quite sure how much time I can commit to studying for GRE right now. I am pretty busy with work and the course load I'm taking as is. I won't graduate till next fall, so I have a little time before I have to start thinking about that. I went to a grad school open house earlier in the week, and a student advisor told me its best to give yourself two months to study the GRE to get an optimal grade. So I'm thinking an hour or two a day once I finish my major course work in the spring would be sufficient. I might just wait till after I take the GRE to start studying for LSAT. Thanks again.

Have you thought about doing both? I am currently in law school and one of my best friends is as well and we are both working dual degrees her's is in IR. At my school most dual degrees don't cost any thing extra and wont prolong the length of time you are in law school. 

Just a thought

That's what I thought I would do, too, but from my experience, I'd budget 2x as much study time for the LSAT as for the GRE. It'll work out fine if you do that, but I budgeted the same amount of time and that was way too little.

I was thinking of taking both, but now I'm not sure if that would be enough to get a score conducive to admissions, like you just stated.

Have you thought about doing both? I am currently in law school and one of my best friends is as well and we are both working dual degrees her's is in IR. At my school most dual degrees don't cost any thing extra and wont prolong the length of time you are in law school. 

Just a thought

I have thought about doing both. I thought at the time that the extra cost and time it would take to complete wasn't feasible but if it is about the same as you are saying, then that's something I'll have to reconsider. Thanks