FALL 2016 Applicants!

kameldinho

Hey guys! I'm super confused. Is anyone else applying straight from undergrad? 

Stats:

(From an Ivy)

GPA: 3.7

GRE: 167/160/6

Research experience in a

-business lab

-sexuality project,

-intellectual history lab/professor

-urban anthropology professor

And a lot of NGO involvement

but no publications, and anthro undergrad

My interests are in medical sociology, specifically of mental illness and sexuality in urban areas. 

Schools:

1. Rutgers (top choice)

this is all I have for now....can anyone recommend me other programs that might take an undergrad with no publications?

I'm applying directly from undergrad as well. Your GPA and GRE are good, so no need to worry very much there! If you're thinking medical sociology, I know that the University of Alabama at Birmingham is pretty strong in that field. Check here for more info: http://www.asanet.org/medicalsociology/resources.cfm

I'M BAAAAACK!!!

*clings to coffee*

Hi, everyone! I'm Ginger, and I'm currently pursing my M.A. in sociology at Lehigh University.  I'm a TA for the university as well, and it has been a blast, overall!

If you all have questions about Lehigh's M.A. program (and its awesome department and funding opportunities), let me know!!

BUT NOW THE TIME HAS COME FOR PHD PROGRAMS.

Research experience: 

- Undergraduate Thesis: content analysis of ~400 newspaper articles pertaining to the contraceptive clause of the Affordable Care Act. Examined how religious views regarding the contraceptive clause were framed in mainstream media narratives. 

- Master's Thesis: quantitative analysis examining the impact of global environmental degradation on HIV/AIDS prevalence among women in less-developed countries

- Other: co-authoring an article on young women's unemployment and HIV/AIDS prevalence among young women, presented at two conferences in 2014, presenting at 2016 ESS

- Overall package:  research experience in both American and global health matters, along with qualitative and quantitative research experience.

Stats:

- Undergrad GPA: 3.91, cumulative (3.87 AA, 3.97 BA)

- Graduate GPA: 4.0 (so far)

- GRE: 164 (V), 152 (Q)

Cons:

that low quant score!  I've taken undergraduate statistics in the math department, undergraduate social statistics, graduate-level social statistics, and graduate-level quantitative methods, and I have LOVED each and every one of those classes, earning an A in each one! So, I have the aptitude for quantitative work, and I actually prefer it, but someone who never finished high school math (GED class of 2007!) isn't bound to get a perfect score on the GRE quantitative section.

I'm hoping my grades and letters of recommendation offset that quantitative score.

Areas of interest: Medical sociology (reproduction, women's health, global health), religion, gender 

Here are the programs I'm looking at:

-University of Delaware (accepted me for their M.A. program, I went on a recruitment visit there and I LOVED it!)

-Brandeis University (*gets dreamy look in eyes* medical sociology *and* religion ... *swoon* Plus, Wendy Cadge is there, and her book, "Paging God," is awesome!)

-Vanderbilt University (my undergrad thesis advisor got her PhD here)

- Emory University

- UC Davis (I have a good friend who goes here, and who actually is in these forums pretty often)

- NC State

I'm considering more programs than this, but those are my top 6.

Hi gingin, Now it's my turn to comment on your post :) .  I agree with some of the previous posts that you should put a few higher-ranked programs on your list. On top of all, your GRE is not bad. A 152 is definitely not excellent for quantitative scholars, but is okay if you do not want to research on quantitative methodology or demography... Think about Duke, Texas-Austin and have a try. I don't think your application package automatically disqualify you for any program...

Hi gingin, Now it's my turn to comment on your post :) .  I agree with some of the previous posts that you should put a few higher-ranked programs on your list. On top of all, your GRE is not bad. A 152 is definitely not excellent for quantitative scholars, but is okay if you do not want to research on quantitative methodology or demography... Think about Duke, Texas-Austin and have a try. I don't think your application package automatically disqualify you for any program...

You're so sweet, goofylemon! Thanks for taking the time to look over my post! The thing is -- I love quantitative research and even prefer it.  I think that my quantitative aptitude shows forth in my master's thesis and my grades in four quant-based classes (math department statistics, undergrad social statistics, graduate social statistics, and graduate quantitative methods). Hopefully those things will show "Oh, she's good at stats, just not at high school algebra/geometry!" lol! At least that's what I'm hoping for!

Hey guys! I'm super confused. Is anyone else applying straight from undergrad? 

Stats:

(From an Ivy)

GPA: 3.7

GRE: 167/160/6

Research experience in a

-business lab

-sexuality project,

-intellectual history lab/professor

-urban anthropology professor

And a lot of NGO involvement

but no publications, and anthro undergrad

My interests are in medical sociology, specifically of mental illness and sexuality in urban areas. 

Schools:

1. Rutgers (top choice)

this is all I have for now....can anyone recommend me other programs that might take an undergrad with no publications?

You can look Indiana too

hmm, i'm trying just to stay in the northeast/big cities. geographical preference is trumping programs for me, i think. 

I believe that the Univ. of Massachusetts, Boston has a PhD with a concentration in your interests. Brandeis isn't a bad program either. If you're looking for a more prestigious school in the NE, Brown also has medical sociology, but I've heard from a couple people that they rarely accept people without an MA/MS. However, I suggest that you be very cautious if you're focusing more on geographic region than program in this journey. I've been told by more than one professor that geography should be very low on the list when considering academic programs unless there are extreme circumstances which require you to be in a certain region. I hope this helps! 

hmm, i'm trying just to stay in the northeast/big cities. geographical preference is trumping programs for me, i think. 

I understand geographical preference. When applying for M.A programs, I had to stay in a geographical area close to home because of family circumstances.  If you absolutely need to stay in the northeast/big cities for similar reasons, go for it! If not, then maybe consider applying to one or two other programs with a good fit.  But don't force yourself to apply to those programs if it just doesn't feel right either.

I understand geographical preference. When applying for M.A programs, I had to stay in a geographical area close to home because of family circumstances.  If you absolutely need to stay in the northeast/big cities for similar reasons, go for it! If not, then maybe consider applying to one or two other programs with a good fit.  But don't force yourself to apply to those programs if it just doesn't feel right either.

I might also suggest Indiana for your interests too- especially med soc and gender.

http://www.indiana.edu/~soc/areas_of_specialization.html

I might also suggest Indiana for your interests too- especially med soc and gender.

http://www.indiana.edu/~soc/areas_of_specialization.html

For me? Or were you recommending to anthrostudentcyn?  If me, yes, I was considering Indiana! I see that Peggy Thoits is there.  Her focus is more on mental health, but still.  Awesome. She's not the only one I'd be interested in working with though!! Everyone else there seems amazing as well! Her name just happened to jump out at me when browsing the website.

Edited by gingin6789

Yeah I would go to a program if it was perfect, but I've lived in NYC my whole life and I really can't see myself spending 7+ years in a small college town, it just doesn't fit with my lifestyle and I know I'd be unhappy. 

Hey, you know yourself best.  You've gotta do what's right for you!!

Hey so I'm in a bit of a pickle. My background is the following:

-Undergrad 3.96 GPA

-Founded and was the president of the biggest and most active sociology student organization among all of Chicago's universities 

-Have 8 month research experience

-Attained a competitive $5,000 scholarship award 

-Community's Choice scholarship awards (2013, 2014)

-Presented research at my school's research conference 3 times

-Have 4 online articles on identity and culture published by a news website (nothing big) 

-Have taken 3 grad-level courses

-In 3 honor societies including AKD

But my GRE scores are extremely average... V:152 Q:150 AWA: 4.5

Do I even have a chance at getting into a good program? What do you guys think my options are? Top 20? Top 30? 40? I'm mainly worried about my GRE scores. My research interests lie in Asian studies, Asian American studies, Immigration, Crime and Deviance, Race and Ethnicity, Culture, Globalization, Political Sociology, and Social Psychology.

Also, theres one thing that differentiates me with the majority of sociology students. I used to be a gangbanger from Chicago as a teenager and I feel like this experience gave me unique and insightful perspectives that isn't restricted by privilege or middle-class norms. Do you think the admissions committee would see this as a good thing or too intimidating to accept?

Hey so I'm in a bit of a pickle. My background is the following:

-Undergrad 3.96 GPA

-Founded and was the president of the biggest and most active sociology student organization among all of Chicago's universities 

-Have 8 month research experience

-Attained a competitive $5,000 scholarship award 

-Community's Choice scholarship awards (2013, 2014)

-Presented research at my school's research conference 3 times

-Have 4 online articles on identity and culture published by a news website (nothing big) 

-Have taken 3 grad-level courses

-In 3 honor societies including AKD

Do I even have a chance at getting into a good program? What do you guys think my options are? Top 20? Top 30? 40? I'm mainly worried about my GRE scores. My research interests lie in Asian studies, Asian American studies, Immigration, Crime and Deviance, Race and Ethnicity, Culture, Globalization, Political Sociology, and Social Psychology.

Also, theres one thing that differentiates me with the majority of sociology students. I used to be a gangbanger from Chicago as a teenager and I feel like this experience gave me unique and insightful perspectives that isn't restricted by privilege or middle-class norms. Do you think the admissions committee would see this as a good thing or too intimidating to accept?

Retake GREs. You won't stand a chance at top 20 programs with those scores, unless you had multiple publications (or 1 at a top-tier journal as undergrad.) As for the gangbanger part of your history, that may help you - more plus points if you're Asian American and were involved in an Asian American gang. But you'll have to frame it carefully in your SOP/PHS.

P.S. What exactly do you do in a sociology student organization? Especially one that is the "biggest and most active"? 

Edited by iemons

Yes I'm Asian but I was in a multi-racial gang. It actually has helped me see and understand things that other sociology majors were not able to catch during my undergrad. If I decide to add that to my SOP I'll most likely explain how it helped me sociologically. 

This is exactly why I think you should talk about your gang experience in your SOP.  They want to know how your sociological interests formed, and if this is what helped to sharpen your sociological lens, then it's a strength to your character and portfolio.  

I have a chronic reproductive illness that forced me to drop out of high school, and through my experience living with that illness, I lived gendered inequalities of illness, shaping my interests in medical sociology and gender.  I know it's personal information, but it helped shape my broader sociological viewpoints and areas of interest in research.  

So, I say be bold and just go for it.  Talk about how that experience has been a source of sociological strength, showing where you came from and where you are now. You shouldn't have to write as if part of your sociological life doesn't exist. I think your story is absolutely amazing. 

Edited by gingin6789

Greetings everyone,

I'm planning to apply to some programs for Fall 2016. I have a BA in English Literature (from a prestigious university in Turkey - though with a relatively low GPA [3.19]). I'm currently doing my masters in Cultural Studies and Media (my GPA is fine, around 3.8). So I'm a little worried about my background, which is slightly irrelevant to pursue a PhD in Sociology. I'm mostly interested in political sociology and class with a particular focus on the changing working class, immaterialization and feminization of the labor process and I intend to conduct a research on how the *new* working class relate to these changes. (I'll also integrate the notions of cultural capital, governmentality and neoliberal ethics - with some reflection on Bourdieu and Foucault) (I know it sounds a little vague but it is more complicated than I tried to summarize here - I don't want to bother you with too many details). 

I have checked several schools (including South Carolina, Stony Brook, UMass, New School and Boston Uni.) I only took a few sociology classes in the grad school. I'll take the GRE in two weeks (I'm a little late I know). I have good writing samples (mostly on cultural theory), more than 5 papers presented at undergrad and grad student conferences, a long-term engagement with political activism (which shaped my sociological interests), 5 years of experience as a freelance translator (hence my interest in changing labor processes) and strong recommendation letters. But I'm not sure if my academic background -and a low GPA- will have a negative effect on my application. I know it is possible to compensate for the GPA, but still. Should I rely on my other credentials and go for it (the application process is too costly and I don't want to shoot for the moon just for the sake of it)? Do I even have a chance for the schools Iisted above? 

I think the whole process of searching for the schools has already discouraged me. I also checked some programs in cultural studies but it is really hard to find a fully-funded program which is not a 'top-tier'. I would love apply to Cultural Studies PhD in Southern California but you know it would be nothing but a waste of money and time.

Thank you all and wish you the best luck with applications!

Those may be average among all test takers, but are way below average for someone doing a PhD in the social sciences; you have to retake them. Forums like these can be a bad source of info since they are filled with undergrads (and sometimes graduate students!) speculating about things they don't know--essentially the blind leading the blind. The sociology department will not be understanding of your subpar scores because the sociology department doesn't admit you to the sociology PhD; they can only recommend you for admission, and a pencil pusher in the Dean's office will eyeball your scores and compare them to the institutional average before giving the final go ahead for admission.

Edited by kameldinho

Those may be average among all test takers, but are way below average for someone doing a PhD in the social sciences; you have to retake them. Forums like these can be a bad source of info since they are filled with undergrads (and sometimes graduate students!) speculating about things they don't know--essentially the blind leading the blind. The sociology department will not be understanding of your subpar scores because the sociology department doesn't admit you to the sociology PhD; they can only recommend you for admission, and a pencil pusher in the Dean's office will eyeball your scores and compare them to the institutional average before giving the final go ahead for admission.

Actually, I have spoken to a sociology PhD student who was enrolled this Fall and she told me she had a point or 2 lower than me in both sections, a 3.8 GPA and no research experience and was still accepted. Her writing sample and other areas must have been good but she told me she knows for a fact that her GRE scores was not the reason she was accepted. 

This may be off topic but I feel like Sociology PhD programs that look for high scores in everything, ironically end up perpetuating inequality. You know for damn sure that the MAJORITY of students who have nearly a perfect package with high GRE, high GPA, lots of professional experience, top 40 college, etc. do NOT come from a socio-economically disadvantaged background.  There may be a few but as sociologists, we all know that the majority of students who have access to resources and opportunities are from privileged backgrounds. How is this even fair? What's the point of teaching and researching about social inequality if they won't practice what they preach. What a load of bull.

Edited by yomamabf

the sociology department doesn't admit you to the sociology PhD; they can only recommend you for admission, and a pencil pusher in the Dean's office will eyeball your scores and compare them to the institutional average before giving the final go ahead for admission.

How did I not know this?? Is this the procedure everywhere?  And does the person in the Dean's office overrule the department recommendations often?  

How did I not know this?? Is this the procedure everywhere?  And does the person in the Dean's office overrule the department recommendations often?  

Procedure definitely happens. But my guess is that there are differences in policy between schools, and exceptions can be made, as is the case about everything else about the application process.

Actually, I have spoken to a sociology PhD student who was enrolled this Fall and she told me she had a point or 2 lower than me in both sections, a 3.8 GPA and no research experience and was still accepted. Her writing sample and other areas must have been good but she told me she knows for a fact that her GRE scores was not the reason she was accepted. 
This may be off topic but I feel like Sociology PhD programs that look for high scores in everything, ironically end up perpetuating inequality. You know for damn sure that the MAJORITY of students who have nearly a perfect package with high GRE, high GPA, lots of professional experience, top 40 college, etc. do NOT come from a socio-economically disadvantaged background.  There may be a few but as sociologists, we all know that the majority of students who have access to resources and opportunities are from privileged backgrounds. How is this even fair? What's the point of teaching and researching about social inequality if they won't practice what they preach. What a load of bull.

I certainly didn't say that you needed high or near perfect GRE scores; the vast majority of sociology applicants certainly don't have that either. Believe me I'm more than familiar with being from a socio-economically disadvantaged background; I disclosed earlier in this thread a bit about my own background, and its certainly not anywhere close to the privileged background you're describing here. Having a mediocre GRE score certainly isn't the end of the world but you're at the 54th percentile in verbal and the 40th percentile in math--that's an entire standard deviation below what would constitute a mediocre score for a social science PhD applicant. You should retake or be prepared to waste your money on application fees.

Its great that you spoke to a single person who somehow defied the odds and ended up in a presumably bottom tier PhD program, if what you say is true. You should bear in mind that you're about to embark on journey that will train you to become an academic research, so you should know how disastrous it is to make inferences and generalize from a single observation. Its not that hard to crack the 70th percentile on verbal with a bit of practice, especially for a sociology major; I'm a math/econ guy who has never written a single term paper and hates reading anything that isn't equations and I stilled nailed a 160V with the free magoosh android app and the $20 ETS prep book as my only study material. Its not a question of lack of financial resources, though I will concede that the GRE test fee was quite hard to stomach. I'd have been a lot more sympathetic if it was quant, as I did quite poorly on the quant despite my math background. The GRE quant questions just don't make any sense to me.

Edited by kameldinho

There are minor variations between (and within) schools, but yes the procedure is pretty much universal among PhD admissions in the USA. If a candidate has exceptional non-quantifiable attributes then the department can ask the Dean's office for a waiver, e.g. a candidate has subpar GREs and/or GPA but already has a published paper in a respectable journal. There are probably other idiosyncrasies that are not worth getting into, as they won't apply to the vast majority of PhD applicants.

I certainly didn't say that you needed high or near perfect GRE scores; the vast majority of sociology applicants certainly don't have that either. Please don't lecture me about coming from a socio-economically disadvantaged background. I already disclosed earlier in this thread a bit about my own background, and its certainly not anywhere close to the privileged background you're describing here. Having a mediocre GRE score certainly isn't the end of the world but you're at the 54th percentile in verbal and the 40th percentile in math--that's an entire standard deviation below what would constitute a mediocre score for a social science PhD applicant. You should retake or be prepared to waste your money on application fees.
Its great that you spoke to a single person who somehow defied the odds and ended up in a presumably lower tiered PhD program. If you're willing to make inferences on a single data point and generalize from it then academic research may not be your cup of tea. Its not that hard to crack the 70th percentile on verbal; I'm a math/econ guy who has never written a single term paper and hates reading anything that isn't equations and I stilled nailed a 160V with the free magoosh android app and the $20 ETS prep book as my only study material. Its not a question of lack of financial resources, though I will concede that the GRE test fee was quite hard to stomach. I'd have been a lot more sympathetic if it was quant, as I did quite poorly on the quant despite my math background. The GRE quant questions just don't make any sense to me.

Whoa, didn't mean to offend you there buddy calm down. Sometimes I write things without realizing it may come off as offensive to hyper-sensitive people. I wasn't even referring to you in my latter paragraph earlier which is why I started the sentence with "This may be off topic..." I was just ranting, sorry if you got the wrong idea. I only brought up the person I know that was admitted into the PhD program because you implied that people on this forum have absolutely no idea what they're talking about when you wrote "Forums like these can be a bad source of info since they are filled with undergrads (and sometimes graduate students!) speculating about things they don't know--essentially the blind leading the blind." Also, the student I spoke to got into Duke University. 

The sociology department will not be understanding of your subpar scores because the sociology department doesn't admit you to the sociology PhD; they can only recommend you for admission, and a pencil pusher in the Dean's office will eyeball your scores and compare them to the institutional average before giving the final go ahead for admission.

i really cannot emphasize this enough. There seems to be a notion that these institutions will ~forgive~ low gre/gpa and this may happen in exceptional cases but is not the norm. Mainly because they can't. Ultimately you need to be accepted by the graduate school at large and they care quite a bit about those gre scores.

On 10/30/2015, 4:52:14, kameldinho said:

Its great that you spoke to a single person who somehow defied the odds and ended up in a presumably bottom tier PhD program, if what you say is true. You should bear in mind that you're about to embark on journey that will train you to become an academic research, so you should know how disastrous it is to make inferences and generalize from a single observation. Its not that hard to crack the 70th percentile on verbal with a bit of practice, especially for a sociology major; I'm a math/econ guy who has never written a single term paper and hates reading anything that isn't equations and I stilled nailed a 160V with the free magoosh android app and the $20 ETS prep book as my only study material. Its not a question of lack of financial resources, though I will concede that the GRE test fee was quite hard to stomach. I'd have been a lot more sympathetic if it was quant, as I did quite poorly on the quant despite my math background. The GRE quant questions just don't make any sense to me.

Pretty rude. I hope you don't act this petty if you enter a PhD program. Academia does not have time and space for immature childish behavior. Very unprofessional.

Edited by sociologyheroine