Applying to PhD in Anthropology w/o Anthro Degree

ladyoflight17

Hi All, 

I found this forum really helpful in the past for my MA application, so I am posting again, this time for PhD. I am an MA Student in Religion. My interest is in the Anthropology of Religion, looking at the intersections of race, religion and identity and in particular the construction of identity through religious expression and ritual. Over the course of my MA studies, I have come to realize that I may be better suited to an Anthropology PhD program as opposed to a Religion PhD. I have been grappling with this issue a lot over the past few months, specifically because I do not have an Anthropology Degree. My experience with the discipline has been limited to  an Anthropology of Development course for my previous Masters in Development Studies and my current ethnographic research for my MA thesis in Religion. 

I was wondering whether I stand a chance in applying to Anthropology PhD programs - I have been thinking of the Anthropology Programs at NYU, Princeton and Purdue - I know that these programs are super competitive but they all have professors who specialize in my concentration of interest (anthropology of religion; historical anthropology) and in my geographic area (the Americas, particularly the African diaspora in the Americas). 

I also am applying to two religion programs with strong anthropology components as a backup... 

Any thoughts/ advice/ words of wisdom on what you think my chances (realistically) are would be appreciated. Any advice on other programs that may be a potential fit with my interests would also be appreciated... 

Thanks in advance! 

Hello! I have no answers, but I am also interested in this. I have a history BA, but two of the professors I'd most like to work with are in anthropology departments. (I'm interested in ritual change and millennial movements in colonial contexts in the past, so two of my favorite works of scholarship were written by anthropologists using period sources.) I'm aware that I would end up in pretty different places with a history or anthropology PhD on the same topic, but the scholarly fit is so good that I'm inclined to apply to both types of programs and see what happens.

Anthropology is eclectic and interdisciplinary by nature. We draw on non-anthropologists for inspiration, cite non-anthropologists, and welcome non-anthropologists (who love ethnography or anthropological theory) into the fold. So yes, in my experience it is extremely common for people with no BA or MA in Anthropology to gain entrance into top-ranked Anthropology programs. I'm in a well-regarded Anthro PhD program, and I think only 30% or so of my cohort had a previous degree in Anthropology before beginning. Others came from history,  modern languages, area studies, development studies, political philosophy-- at both the BA and MA level.

Both of your projects sound anthropological to me. Just make sure you show off your research chops and ground your statements of purpose in anthropological thinking and writing (i.e. cite anthropologists). What matters is a coherent and compelling research plan that matches the interests of the department faculty, solid research experience (ethnographic, historical, archaeological, whatever), and lots of luck.

My experience with the discipline has been limited to  an Anthropology of Development course for my previous Masters in Development Studies and my current ethnographic research for my MA thesis in Religion. 

I was wondering whether I stand a chance in applying to Anthropology PhD programs - I have been thinking of the Anthropology Programs at NYU, Princeton and Purdue - I know that these programs are super competitive but they all have professors who specialize in my concentration of interest (anthropology of religion; historical anthropology) and in my geographic area (the Americas, particularly the African diaspora in the Americas). 

Also, to the question of your chances -- um, yes! You have two MA degrees? That should make you more than qualified to compete with the best of the best for entrance into top programs. Be sure to emphasize your experience writing up and presenting prior research!

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to an anthro phd program with a masters in health and development, but I have an undergraduate degree in anthropology.  What's more important is the topic you want to do research on; if it's a topical fit for the professor, and they're interested in your initial findings from your masters, I don't think it really matters that your masters isn't in anthro.