How credible is World Education Service's GPA calculator?

ArchieLi

I have received my bachelor and master degrees from Australia, where universities don't use 1-4 scale grading system, so I'm looking to convert my grades to US GPA. I am aware of it's not compulsory and graduate schools would eventually check my transcripts if interested - however I've read an article from an associate professor in Columbia suggesting applicants don't leave GPA field blank: http://chrisblattman.com/about/contact/gradschool/  

I searched for GPA calculator online and found WES (wes.org) and I was pretty happy with its converting output. So, I'm here to ask if anyone have any idea about how credible is the GAP calculator of WES regarded among US graduate schools, especially the high tiers ones?

Thank you in advance. 

I personally didn't find it accurate - it converted me about .5 lower than what I actually am (according to 3 different schools). However, if you're happy with it's conversion...

Have you tried using a few different GPA calculators and seeing if they're comparable? Additionally, email the admissions contact for each US school you are applying to with your grades from Australia and ask if you meet the cut/what is their GPA conversion policy (this is what I did from the UK and everyone replied saying I was good, and with their own school converted GPA which is a lot more accurate).

I personally didn't find it accurate - it converted me about .5 lower than what I actually am (according to 3 different schools). However, if you're happy with it's conversion...

Have you tried using a few different GPA calculators and seeing if they're comparable? Additionally, email the admissions contact for each US school you are applying to with your grades from Australia and ask if you meet the cut/what is their GPA conversion policy (this is what I did from the UK and everyone replied saying I was good, and with their own school converted GPA which is a lot more accurate).

Thanks heaps for your reply! Yes I have tried the calculator of Foreign Credits as well, it converted my undergrad grade to 3.38 whereas WES converted it to 3.81, which made me incline to choose WES to do the job... Foreign Credits also converted my master grade 0.09 points lower than WES did. Which online GPA converting services have you tried, may I ask?

Emailing graduate schools with my grades do sound like a good idea. I was concerned the US grade inflation was going to make my grade look less competitive, but it didn't seem to bother you. I'm going to contact the grad schools now.

Thank you again!

My grades, compared to American students, aren't jaw-dropping, but the universities acknowledge that coming from Europe, grades are lower here. 

I stayed away from online converters as they were pretty shoddy at accurately converting - the schools you'll be applying to will have their own way of doing things anyway.  They're definitely your best bet, and they're used to international students applying. Good luck!

• 2 years later...