I'm afraid I'll get rejected because of my lack of experience in the field

eggfish

I pretty much have no experience, no academic extracurriculars.  I study, party, and play dungeons & dragons.  That is my life.  It seems like most people at my school in my major at least have a daycare job or a job in a nursing home.  I've applied and applied, but I just can't find any job, let alone one related to speech therapy.  Yes, there are speech pathology-related clubs at my school, but I feel like an outsider among my cohort.  I don't know how it happened, but every single one of my friends is in engineering or computer science.  Most people in my major steer clear of me, so I find it difficult to put myself out there and go to meetings.  I would really like to get into the University of Wisconsin, but I'm afraid the lack of extracurricular activities will hold me back.  

Have you tried shadowing an SLP or have you looked for ABA therapy jobs?  What about volunteering at centers for those on the spectrum?

Also, why do you think your classmates "steer clear" of you?  And you say you've applied and tried and tried - have you applied in person or just online?  Any interviews?  Sorry for all the questions but it may help with answers...

Have you tried shadowing an SLP or have you looked for ABA therapy jobs?  What about volunteering at centers for those on the spectrum?

Also, why do you think your classmates "steer clear" of you?  And you say you've applied and tried and tried - have you applied in person or just online?  Any interviews?  Sorry for all the questions but it may help with answers...

I've applied for every ABA therapy job in my area.  50+ job applications (all online and mostly for minimum wage positions in food service or retail.  Whenever I try to go in person, they tell me the application is online) in the last 2 months.  

6 interviews, no job.   My friends don't really know why.  My boyfriend suggested sexism, but I doubt it.  I even had a group interview with my brother, and he was shocked that he got called for a second interview and I didn't.  When he got his call, he had assumed I had already gotten one.

I haven't shadowed an SLP, but I've been "observing" a couple of them.  I don't know if that's the same thing. 

I'm not sure if there is volunteer work available.  I'll have to look into that, but everytime I've volunteered for anything, I've felt useless.  Programs here in my college town are so oversaturated with volunteers that there's nothing to do.. 

The reason I've noticed my classmates steer clear of me is because I get to the class early, and no matter where I sit, no one sits near me.  Girls in my cohort typically are in a sorority, very bubbly, athletic, type A personalities, etc.  I usually dress in black, combat boots, etc., and read comic books and am very strongly a type-B personality and I guess they can just tell they don't have much in common with me.  Nothing against them. 

At this point, I can volunteer a bit, but grad apps are due in a few months so there is only so much I can do to improve.  Right now I'm just wondering if it's still likely I'll get in to the schools I want to go.  Stats match up (perfect GPA, decent GRE scores), but I'm not well-rounded.

Edited by eggfish

Observation definitely counts for something! At this point in the game I definitely wouldn't be beating down the door to volunteer if you aren't finding something that's a good fit. Have you thought of looking into being a literacy tutor for kids, teaching a science class for kids, or working with the special recreation department? I found that I had to sift through the Internet using multiple keywords to find places to volunteer at that weren't the usual top ten and over-saturated. 

I think each year is rather a toss up in terms of admissions. You seem like a strong applicant with the stats, and you do have some observation to put on your resume. Again, at this point, there are only so many variables that you can control. If I were in your shoes, I would probably try to observe one more place, and focus on my SOP. 

Also, a lot of college towns have fierce competition when it comes to minimum wage service jobs. From personal experience I've noticed that a lot of hires are referrals, already have experience (especially food, ABA, and retail haha), or fit a certain personality type. Something to look into that actually doesn't require an interview (at least where I am from) is being a substitute paraprofessional in the public schools. You fill out the app, take a proficiency test, get a backround check, then are entered into the system. When an opportunity arises, you just click and the job is yours if it's still available! 

I've applied for every ABA therapy job in my area.  50+ job applications (all online and mostly for minimum wage positions in food service or retail.  Whenever I try to go in person, they tell me the application is online) in the last 2 months.  

6 interviews, no job.   My friends don't really know why.  My boyfriend suggested sexism, but I doubt it.  I even had a group interview with my brother, and he was shocked that he got called for a second interview and I didn't.  When he got his call, he had assumed I had already gotten one.

I haven't shadowed an SLP, but I've been "observing" a couple of them.  I don't know if that's the same thing. 

I'm not sure if there is volunteer work available.  I'll have to look into that, but everytime I've volunteered for anything, I've felt useless.  Programs here in my college town are so oversaturated with volunteers that there's nothing to do.. 

The reason I've noticed my classmates steer clear of me is because I get to the class early, and no matter where I sit, no one sits near me.  Girls in my cohort typically are in a sorority, very bubbly, athletic, type A personalities, etc.  I usually dress in black, combat boots, etc., and read comic books and am very strongly a type-B personality and I guess they can just tell they don't have much in common with me.  Nothing against them. 

At this point, I can volunteer a bit, but grad apps are due in a few months so there is only so much I can do to improve.  Right now I'm just wondering if it's still likely I'll get in to the schools I want to go.  Stats match up (perfect GPA, decent GRE scores), but I'm not well-rounded.

Well that sucks about your classmates - if anything, it's their loss.  But then again, if you look unapproachable (and you might, to them) then people won't approach unless *you* make the effort.  And not sure if this applies in your area, but if you don't look sort of "preppy and mainstream" in interviews and in class, this may affect how interviewers/professors view you as well.  I used to have four different hair colors in a year, but when I started SLP I switched to one and took all of my (nine) ear piercings out.  And this is in California, where people are fairly liberal.  Sigh.  Not fair, but it is what it is.  I also had to work harder at making SLP friends as I am an "older" student, ha ha.

At any rate, as the previous poster said, observation *definitely* counts as experience.  Find a way to work it into your SOP.  Discuss a client or a specific therapy session you observed that really resonated with you in some way.  Maybe mention (if you feel comfortable) that you are more introverted but that such and such an experience really drew you out of your comfort zone.  I would be willing to bet that half or more of our professors are introverted and would most likely identify with others who are introverted.  (Not saying you are introverted necessarily since I don't know you, but just in case you are).

Your stats are are fantastic - I don't have the time to compare them to your schools, but can assume you did and am guessing yours are higher than what is expected.  BTW it's funny you mentioned Dungeons and Dragons - one of my professors was into it when he was younger and he came across a client who was obsessed with D&D.  He managed to get through to him and help him in therapy because of this common interest.  So you never know what random skills you possess may come in handy some day.  Keep your chin up!  

Edited by Jolie717

Well that sucks about your classmates - if anything, it's their loss.  But then again, if you look unapproachable (and you might, to them) then people won't approach unless *you* make the effort.  And not sure if this applies in your area, but if you don't look sort of "preppy and mainstream" in interviews and in class, this may affect how interviewers/professors view you as well.  I used to have four different hair colors in a year, but when I started SLP I switched to one and took all of my (nine) ear piercings out.  And this is in California, where people are fairly liberal.  Sigh.  Not fair, but it is what it is.  I also had to work harder at making SLP friends as I am an "older" student, ha ha.

At any rate, as the previous poster said, observation *definitely* counts as experience.  Find a way to work it into your SOP.  Discuss a client or a specific therapy session you observed that really resonated with you in some way.  Maybe mention (if you feel comfortable) that you are more introverted but that such and such an experience really drew you out of your comfort zone.  I would be willing to bet that half or more of our professors are introverted and would most likely identify with others who are introverted.  (Not saying you are introverted necessarily since I don't know you, but just in case you are).

Your stats are are fantastic - I don't have the time to compare them to your schools, but can assume you did and am guessing yours are higher than what is expected.  BTW it's funny you mentioned Dungeons and Dragons - one of my professors was into it when he was younger and he came across a client who was obsessed with D&D.  He managed to get through to him and help him in therapy because of this common interest.  So you never know what random skills you possess may come in handy some day.  Keep your chin up!  

I agree with Jolie about random skills coming in handy: where I volunteer, I was able to connect with a child because we both like the Portal video game series! :) 

Eggfish, I'm also somewhat of a type B personality- I sleep in and read webcomics in my spare time.  Quite a few of my friends are in engineering and computer science as well.  The majority of students in my speech department were also type A, peppy, bubbly, athletic, morning person, in a sorority, different sense of humor etc.

You might not get along perfectly with them, but you're bound to meet people who share your peers' personality traits or interests both in grad school and later on in your career, so even if you weren't able to connect with your colleagues during undergrad, it might be good to take small steps outside your comfort zone.  All of my peers were willing to open up to me, but that was only after I opened up to them and started conversations with them proactively.  Hopefully it's the same with yours!

Edited by talkingcake
typo

Observation definitely counts for something! At this point in the game I definitely wouldn't be beating down the door to volunteer if you aren't finding something that's a good fit. Have you thought of looking into being a literacy tutor for kids, teaching a science class for kids, or working with the special recreation department? I found that I had to sift through the Internet using multiple keywords to find places to volunteer at that weren't the usual top ten and over-saturated. 

I think each year is rather a toss up in terms of admissions. You seem like a strong applicant with the stats, and you do have some observation to put on your resume. Again, at this point, there are only so many variables that you can control. If I were in your shoes, I would probably try to observe one more place, and focus on my SOP. 

Also, a lot of college towns have fierce competition when it comes to minimum wage service jobs. From personal experience I've noticed that a lot of hires are referrals, already have experience (especially food, ABA, and retail haha), or fit a certain personality type. Something to look into that actually doesn't require an interview (at least where I am from) is being a substitute paraprofessional in the public schools. You fill out the app, take a proficiency test, get a backround check, then are entered into the system. When an opportunity arises, you just click and the job is yours if it's still available! 

I've looked into tutoring, but apparently you have to get some sort of certification to get hired by the tutoring companies here, and I just don't have the time.  If I knew any families with kids I could offer to tutor or babysit, but I don't.  Two of my best friends are math tutors and they absolutely love it.  

I think I'll observe at a hospital soon because I've only observed in the school setting (because it's easier to set up).  That will help with the schools that have a stronger emphasis on medical SLP (what I want to be doing).  I'm a decent writer when I try hard enough, so I think my SOP will be acceptable.  I totally forgot to mention that I've been learning ASL and volunteering a little bit with the Deaf association in my hometown.  I might be able to talk about experiences from that, especially in the schools that offer ASL classes.  

I will definitely look into being a substitute paraprofessional!  Thanks for the suggestions!

I was offered a job at Jimmy John's under the conditions that I dyed my hair back to a natural color.  I wondered how much that affected me in my other interviews even though it's barely noticeable that I have dyed tips when I pull my hair into a ponytail.  It's kind of sad that that's at all a factor.  

I am definitely introverted, but I try to fake extroversion because it seems like people think you can't want to help people if you're not an extrovert.  I have a lot of empathy and other people are what make life meaningful for me, but I can't be talking outgoing 100% of the time.  Most of my professors seem completely understanding of introverts, but I've heard of people at other schools outright being told, "I think you're too introverted for this field", so I would hesitate to mention it in my SOP.  That's really interesting about D&D helping your professor and his client with therapy!

I agree with Jolie about random skills coming in handy: where I volunteer, I was able to connect with a child because we both like the Portal video game series! :) 

Eggfish, I'm also somewhat of a type B personality- I sleep in and read webcomics in my spare time.  Quite a few of my friends are in engineering and computer science as well.  The majority of students in my speech department were also type A, peppy, bubbly, athletic, morning person, in a sorority, different sense of humor etc.

You might not get along perfectly with them, but you're bound to meet people who share your peers' personality traits or interests both in grad school and later on in your career, so even if you weren't able to connect with your colleagues during undergrad, it might be good to take small steps outside your comfort zone.  All of my peers were willing to open up to me, but that was only after I opened up to them and started conversations with them proactively.  Hopefully it's the same with yours!

I love Portal!  Hopefully when I get a job as a speech therapist they just send all the nerdy clients to me haha
There were a couple girls in my classes I talked to last year, but it turns out they were just taking care of some pre-reqs and leaving!  I think I might have better luck in grad school.  I've almost wondered if it's just the school I go to.  I transferred here from a different (and more highly ranked) school where people in my major seemed friendlier.  Not sure why that is or if it's just in my head.  

Edited by eggfish

A lot of SLP students are introverts! In fact, I read an article recently that talked about why introverts make great SLPs. I am an introvert, along with several others in my cohort. It is not uncommon, and it doesn't mean that you can't interact well or connect with your clients. If anything, we have lots of patience and good listening skills ! :) 

I applied twice, and I feel like getting more experience helped set my application apart the second time around. Even if it wasn't strictly the experience on paper that helped, it certainly gave me a greater understanding of the profession and prepared me for grad school in ways my classes didn't. I recommend volunteering at a hospital or other medical setting, if that is your interest. If you want to tutor, sometimes local libraries look for adult literacy tutors. If not, they might be able to steer you towards something else. Be proactive and look everywhere; make phone calls, ask professors or current grad students about opportunities, etc. It might take going out of your comfort zone, but it's good practice for networking and so forth. I also think you should join your school's NSSLHA. Whether or not your cohort likes you shouldn't hold you back from the benefits of being in the organization, and some people might just become your friend. In grad school, I've had to work with people I might otherwise have never talked to or assumed would want to be my friend, and it's been an awesome experience. I've found that we tend to have a lot more in common than we might initially think!

I agree that the nerdy interests come in handy. Some clients surprise you with the things they are interested in! And kids looooove it when you know about something they like (e.g., MINECRAFT, lol).

Whatever you do, don't hold back or be modest! Put it all on there! Observation, learning ASL, etc. I think with your stats, you definitely have a shot.

Oh thank god.... I'm an introverted, geeky girl with interest in board game/video games and I love interacting with kids about minecraft during speech observations. A lot of the girls in my speech classes were bubbly and sorority-type too and to top it all of, I was also the only latina in my classes so I felt like an outsider.

One recommendation I would give is maybe if you have second language skills, to apply to jobs that require them.. or maybe even learn a new language! Being multilingual has given me so many opportunities and our field desperately needs more SLPs who can work with children of diverse backgrounds. I spend a lot of time immersing myself in other languages, even if it's not to use it only to socialize.

• 1 month later...

Like some people have mentioned, just try to get some experience or observe some professionals in the field so that you can build up some type of network in the industry. Whether you try to get an ABA therapy job or you try to get an externship or job shadow someone - whatever you can find and what you're most comfortable with. Networking is not my favorite thing, but it really helps. Some programs offer externships and fieldwork opportunities to gain clinical hours and to gain practical experience while you're still a student, like this one: http://www.progressustherapy.com/university-students/start-your-career There are different options out there, depending on what type of experience you're looking for. Most of them don't require any prior experience, so it's a great way to get your foot in the door.