grad school fair

KieBelle

I've never been to a grad school fair, but I would like to attend one. How do you find out about these things?

I've been to a conference where the exhibit hall had schools passing out information about their program. I spoke to several schools about grad school. I basically told them what I was looking for in a grad program and waited to hear what they had to say. If the program fit, then I talked more and asked for a business card of sort so that I may contact them after.

I've never been to a grad school fair, but I would like to attend one. How do you find out about these things?

I found out about this one through idealist.org - they host them all over the country. It's free and there's 120 programs attending, so it's an awesome opportunity.

pea-jay - I wonder if we're going to the same one - in San Francisco?

i went last year for idealist in SF. at that time i was only giving grad school some light thought and so i asked some pretty broad questions. this years a bit more serious, with apps actually underway, so i plan on asking questions related to the process and what makes one schools program unique from others.

LOL, yes I'm going there. I live 2hrs north of the city so this is the only nearby fair and the only way I will get to talk to schools back east. That's definitely NYU and Baruch. Id like to see what Boston University and Georgetown have to offer as well. I'm not staying in CA for grad school for Urban Planning/Public Policy. I'm especially hoping to catch the admission and financing discussion from 530 to 615. Looks there will be at least three or four of us Grad Cafe posters attending.

It'd be kinda funny if we ran into each other in person (not knowing our online identities) and then discuss the same event from different perspectives tomorrow. Looks like fun and I get to play hookie from work for half a day.

This past thursday I attended Idealist.org's grad fair in San Francisco, geared to a variety of disciplines related to serving others. I hoped to get some pointers and talk to recruiters from the schools I wanted to attend, then leave. Much to my surprise I found the Grad fair far more useful than expected. I attended the first Panel Discussion which focused on admissions and aid. I asked (and got my question answered) on contacting professors before application and learned a lot about the NYC job market. Sweet. The exhibition hall was useful too. I got to talk to NYU Wagner, which I wanted but had a real good conversation with CUNY Baruch's recruiter which now leads me to believe I will apply there as well. I also chatted with Brown and will have to check them out as well now. Formally ruled out a few other schools. Both Baruch and Wagner strongly encouraged pre-application visits to the campus and meet one or more professors. Dang. Easier said than done, considering the distance.

Bottomline: I need to contact professors on research interests and find a way to go visit. :blink:

Oh yeah, the grad fair also replenished my pen supply. B)

I attended the first Panel Discussion which focused on admissions and aid. I asked (and got my question answered) on contacting professors before application and learned a lot about the NYC job market.

LOL I was there and I remember you asking that question! I was happy that you did- I was wondering the same thing.

LOL I was there and I remember you asking that question! I was happy that you did- I was wondering the same thing.

Haha, too funny! Boy, did they sure underestimated the number of chairs (and the volume level) for the discussion panel. As for the asking the professor question itself, when I talked to the Baruch representative, he actually identified specific professors to contact and encouraged me to do so, as well as attend their open house. Which I may end up doing. I'm hoping to line up meetings at NYU (also have a contact) and Hunter College (none yet) as well. That would be a sweet set-up and will have made the trek down to SF worth it. Not that I ever complain about going to that city... :D