Does it matter where you go to graduate school?

CHOCTICK

This opinion applies only to Masters programs; when it comes to Phds, name recognition is more important for academia sake. I am pondering this because I am looking for reasons to attend a California State University system school rather than a University of California system school.

If you don't have any good work experience, then they'll look at where you graduated from and your GPA. If you have the work experience, then I'll say that it doesn't matter. I have friends who graduated from a CSU who now work at Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Netapp, etc.

• 1 month later...

if you want to work in the government, a degree from anywhere is fine, as long you go on and get your PE. But if your goal is to work in a top tier structural consulting firm, it is better if you get a masters degree from a research university. I google'd some consulting firms in the SF and LA area, almost all of their principals graduated from UC's, USC and Stanford with a masters degree. Of course there is exception to everything, best of luck.