158V 163Q 5.5AW Do I need to retake GRE

Van MtCristo

I did GRE in September and had a diarrhoea the night before the exam. I barely slept that night and had to skip some questions for I was already brain dead after 2.5 hours. The result is 158V 163Q 5.5AW. If I want to apply to PhD at Yale, Penn, Chicago, Duke, do I need to retake it?  What is likely to be the "ceiling" for history departments?

I'm really running out of time right now. And do GRE scores matter in terms of scholarship application?  I tried to reach their admission offices, but it was no use.

Thanks guys!

That score is probably fine for the schools you've listed, but from the number of posts you've made about this, I get the sense you'll feel better if you retake it under more optimal conditions. Do you have the money? If yes, why not take it? You say you're worried about time, but it sounds like you shouldn't need to study much more: you were well-prepared for the last one, apparently, you just got sick. At the same time, that AW is really good, and that's important.

Basically, I've said this because I don't think you'd listen to me if I gave you a "that score is good, don't worry about it!" speech. Your score is good enough to give it, I think, but you seem very worried. If, on the other hand, you really don't have the time and/or money to take the thing again, just say the word and I'll write the speech.

That score is probably fine for the schools you've listed, but from the number of posts you've made about this, I get the sense you'll feel better if you retake it under more optimal conditions. Do you have the money? If yes, why not take it? You say you're worried about time, but it sounds like you shouldn't need to study much more: you were well-prepared for the last one, apparently, you just got sick. At the same time, that AW is really good, and that's important.

Basically, I've said this because I don't think you'd listen to me if I gave you a "that score is good, don't worry about it!" speech. Your score is good enough to give it, I think, but you seem very worried. If, on the other hand, you really don't have the time and/or money to take the thing again, just say the word and I'll write the speech.

Hey knp, thanks for you reply! Of course I would prefer listening to you! A graduate student from Yale also said that my score should be enough and the committee doesn't look at it very seriously, but it was in 2008 when he enrolled! It's been a long time and I'm not sure if his assumption still applies.

Don't worry I got into a phd with V 156

You are in U of Hawaii? Did anyone tell you if there's a "ceiling"? When I got my quantitative I was surprised, for I thought I knew all the questions, but then I realized that no one cares about that score....

I get the feeling you're an international applicant from a non-English speaking country. If so, your GRE may weigh more than that of applicants with domestic degrees, so, whilst it's not absolutely necessary, it may be worthwhile to retake especially when aiming at top schools.

Edited by ExponentialDecay

I get the feeling you're an international applicant from a non-English speaking country. If so, your GRE may weigh more than that of applicants with domestic degrees, so, whilst it's not absolutely necessary, it may be worthwhile to retake especially when aiming at top schools.

I'm from Canada. But if I were to apply to schools in the States, I guess I'm counted as an international student as well.