Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

13 minutes ago, shane94 said:

Duke and Michigan have specific online portals to check decision. Do other schools have similar online portals? Or are results updated on the same website where we filled in the application? 

Northwestern has one where you check your application status: http://gradstatus.northwestern.edu

Mine still shows "Decision Status:  An admissions decision has not yet been rendered."

6 minutes ago, ViniciusMJ said:

Northwestern has one where you check your application status: http://gradstatus.northwestern.edu

Mine still shows "Decision Status:  An admissions decision has not yet been rendered."

I didn't apply to NU tho. But it guess it's a good sign for you at this juncture -- you might be in a short wait list? Good luck!

(I was asking that question because I was wondering if Yale has an online portal that we do not know. If not, I will suspect the credibility of that reported Yale rejection on the survey page as well.) 

5 minutes ago, shane94 said:

I didn't apply to NU tho. But it guess it's a good sign for you at this juncture -- you might be in a short wait list? Good luck!

(I was asking that question because I was wondering if Yale has an online portal that we do not know. If not, I will suspect the credibility of that reported Yale rejection on the survey page as well.) 

I think Yale has only the ApplyYourself page. I am waiting to hear from them as well.

Thanks for your wishes and my best wishes for you too! But I think that probably means rejection.

24 minutes ago, MauBicara said:

With no results back yet, and looking at prior years, I'm hoping that we might hear back from Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, in the coming week. Here's hoping! 

It seems that you like California a lot... 

4 hours ago, worryandhope said:

One of those Northwestern rejections was mine. Not that I was surprised given the info here, but I'm more than a little crushed that it wasn't even a wait list. I can't imagine a better "fit". *expletive* I just don't know what else I could do. 

The first one was mine, and it was a backup option for me so pretty crushed right now. Also, they emailed me at 5am on a saturday morning, lol.

7 minutes ago, Hopeful57 said:

I received an email from a POI that made it seem like all admittances had been sent out...but not 100% sure

This is Wisconsin or Northwestern? I assume it is the former, but I have to ask or I will not sleep well. :)

Congrats to the new admits to Penn State, UBC, Ohio State, LSE, and UCL! I'm going to play devil's advocate here about the Yale rejection - while it is strange that this person and only this person posted any sort of decision regarding Yale, I am hesitant to call this person a troll. Trolls don't usually report being rejected from a place.

I suspect Duke will be out on Monday. Other than last year they have been fairly consistent with the 31st of January/1st February notices.

I also spoke to a PhD student close to the process at Vanderbilt, and seems as far as interviews we should know by the end of next week. I'm also thinking Berkeley will be next week as well.

So I suspect this time next week there will be a few broken hearts and some people over the moon.

14 minutes ago, Determinedandnervous said:

Congrats to the new admits to Penn State, UBC, Ohio State, LSE, and UCL! I'm going to play devil's advocate here about the Yale rejection - while it is strange that this person and only this person posted any sort of decision regarding Yale, I am hesitant to call this person a troll. Trolls don't usually report being rejected from a place.

I second that opinion, but that's definitely not the norm. Usually those admitted/invited for interview hear first, and then those rejected get their result. But then again, this person got an EMAIL notification, rather than just checking the website. Nevertheless, some interesting stuff... 

(Also the amount of speculation we put into all this stuff is...whew!)

7 minutes ago, PizzaCat93 said:

Anyone know anything about Michigan? According to their website, decisions should be coming this week, but in past years, it was around February 10. 

Where on the website does it say that?? I've been expecting Feb 10th/11th based on the results of past years as well.

Edited by Straightoutta

Per the Yale post, I think that it's a troll and that they deliberately said they got denied to make it seem more credible.  The alternative is that maybe they emailed the department or POI and heard from them, but I suspect it's just someone trying to be funny. 

I didn't think the wait would bother me this much, but now that hearing from so many schools is so close, it is stressful. 

Anyone have any insights/experience/opinions on whether or not it's a good idea to get a fully-funded PhD from a program that isn't in the top 25? I'm not even sure I want to try to become a tenured professor, although I taught as an adjunct and loved it (NGOs and think tanks are just as interesting to me as tenured teaching/researching).

57 minutes ago, PoliSci2016 said:

Anyone have any insights/experience/opinions on whether or not it's a good idea to get a fully-funded PhD from a program that isn't in the top 25? I'm not even sure I want to try to become a tenured professor, although I taught as an adjunct and loved it (NGOs and think tanks are just as interesting to me as tenured teaching/researching).

I think generally there is a lot of debate on this, but I'll put in my two cents. Especially because you are flexible in the type of job you want to end up with, I would say definitely still explore fully funded PhD in programs IF you think the program in question is a good fit for you (I would not advise it if you don't have a good research/faculty fit). I only have anecdotal evidence, but I have heard from people pursuing/working non-academic jobs that having a PhD can really open doors and usually gives higher pay (particularly if working federal jobs, maybe not so much for NGOs). Also, if you are not set on TT jobs, lower ranked schools routinely place their PhDs in more teaching focused programs and sometimes still tenure track jobs (although depends on how lower ranked for this). If you produce an interesting dissertation and have a couple of publications under your belt at a top 50 program, I think you would still have a decent shot at a TT job. 

Edited by wb3060

2 hours ago, PizzaCat93 said:

Anyone know anything about Michigan? According to their website, decisions should be coming this week, but in past years, it was around February 10. 

Since the website says so, then the school will probably release it this week. Wolverine is under maintenance right now; so it is possible that the School is updating the results.

1 hour ago, wpg205 said:

Per the Yale post, I think that it's a troll and that they deliberately said they got denied to make it seem more credible.  The alternative is that maybe they emailed the department or POI and heard from them, but I suspect it's just someone trying to be funny. 

I didn't think the wait would bother me this much, but now that hearing from so many schools is so close, it is stressful. 

Also, if the person is a troll who has bad intention, then he or she can also deliberately say that he or she is rejected so that people may think that they get admitted because they have not received anything. We do not know for sure. However, it does seem to be a fake report. 

1 hour ago, PoliSci2016 said:

54 minutes ago, wb3060 said:

I think generally there is a lot of debate on this, but I'll put in my two cents. Especially because you are flexible in the type of job you want to end up with, I would say definitely still explore fully funded PhD in programs IF you think the program in question is a good fit for you (I would not advise it if you don't have a good research/faculty fit). I only have anecdotal evidence, but I have heard from people pursuing/working non-academic jobs that having a PhD can really open doors and usually gives higher pay (particularly if working federal jobs, maybe not so much for NGOs). Also, if you are not set on TT jobs, lower ranked schools routinely place their PhDs in more teaching focused programs and sometimes still tenure track jobs (although depends on how lower ranked for this). If you produce an interesting dissertation and have a couple of publications under your belt at a top 50 program, I think you would still have a decent shot at a TT job. 

I agree with the responder but would like to add another opinion. While dissertation and advisers are important in a T-15/20 program, pedigree is also super important. When you start getting into lower ranked universities, who you know (advisors and networking) and how good your work is and what experience you have (presenting, writing, etc.) becomes a much more distinguishable factor that may (or may not) work well in your favor if you want a TT job. While people may assume that Dr. John Doe is great and well educated because he went to Top Ten University, it's also possible to "compensate" for this bias by doing other work that cannot simply be ignored (such as presenting, publishing, great research focus, etc.). So yes, it's harder, but not impossible. 

(but also yes, if you're not focused solely on a TT job, if you can find a program that is a good fit for you, don't worry as much!)