American Studies 2016

34 minutes ago, tomato8 said:

Does anyone know if brown keeps wait lists? 

I reached out to Brown's DGS and was told all positive communication (i.e. acceptances and waitlists) has been shared. But you might want to confirm with them for peace of mind. 

super late to actually posting on the forums, my bad.

i was one of the wait listers for USC american studies & ethnciity

anyone accepted going for the visit? are the other wait listers on here?

On March 2, 2016 at 11:16 AM, hellatrangsty said:

super late to actually posting on the forums, my bad.

i was one of the wait listers for USC american studies & ethnciity

anyone accepted going for the visit? are the other wait listers on here?

Another Ontarioan! I'm an admit to the program. PM me if you want to talk!

Hi all,

I'm a new poster to the American Studies forum, but have been lurking a while. I'll be primarily applying to religion in America programs housed in religious studies departments, but am interested in a couple of American Studies departments. I was hoping to get some input on the general strength and reputation of the following programs: Iowa, Michigan, Purdue and George Washington. My broad AOI is religion in America, but particularly studied through physical cultures (so interests in things like embodiment, gender, sport). 

Thanks in advance for the input.

12 hours ago, menge said:

Hi all,

I'm a new poster to the American Studies forum, but have been lurking a while. I'll be primarily applying to religion in America programs housed in religious studies departments, but am interested in a couple of American Studies departments. I was hoping to get some input on the general strength and reputation of the following programs: Iowa, Michigan, Purdue and George Washington. My broad AOI is religion in America, but particularly studied through physical cultures (so interests in things like embodiment, gender, sport). 

Thanks in advance for the input.

American Studies rankings are all a bit out of date, so I wouldn't look too much at those. Currently at Purdue here and we've probably got some of the smartest minds I've ever encountered; my fellow graduate students impress me all the time. Also an incredibly diverse program btw. Indiana is still horrendous and always will be though. Unfortunately our funding situation and research opportunities have been less than stellar. Supposedly this will all change in the next couple of years with stipends significantly rising and more money for research/conference travel being available but who knows. 

Does anyone know what the deal is with NYU American Studies? I've already accepted an offer of admission elsewhere, so it's kind of a moot point for me but I'm still curious about why the status of my application never changed at NYU. It looks like some people have received notification already via email (both acceptances and rejections)?  Is there anyone else that hasn't heard anything at all? It looks like a couple of people on the results board seem to be in the same predicament... 

Edited by HeidiBobine

27 minutes ago, HeidiBobine said:

Does anyone know what the deal is with NYU American Studies? I've already accepted an offer of admission elsewhere, so it's kind of a moot point for me but I'm still curious about why the status of my application never changed at NYU. It looks like some people have received notification already via email (both acceptances and rejections)?  Is there anyone else that hasn't heard anything at all? It looks like a couple of people on the results board seem to be in the same predicament... 

if rejections/acceptances were sent out but you didn't hear anything i'm assuming you were waitlisted. some schools don't tell you that you're waitlisted until there is a spot open. also in the same boat with you for brown-- acceptance/rejections were sent out but status didn't change so i'm assuming i was waitlisted. it might not hurt to email them asking about the status of your application! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2016 at 2:16 PM, ARH580 said:
On 2/28/2016 at 6:49 PM, verycunning said:

Thanks so much, everyone!

Yep! Phone call from DGS and then an email with all the details. From the results page it looks like someone else did, too.

Hello all! I'm in the process of making my final decision on American Studies PhD programs and I would love your input. I am currently deciding between William and Mary, UMass Amherst, Delaware, and Boston University. I would like to study twentieth-century American material culture. I am hoping to see if someone has insight into these programs or the decision making process overall. Thank you so much for your help!

On 4/4/2016 at 0:48 PM, LZ89 said:

Hello all! I'm in the process of making my final decision on American Studies PhD programs and I would love your input. I am currently deciding between William and Mary, UMass Amherst, Delaware, and Boston University. I would like to study twentieth-century American material culture. I am hoping to see if someone has insight into these programs or the decision making process overall. Thank you so much for your help!

Easy: which school has faculty you want to work with? Which school has a relationship with 20th century US historic sites and museums, or 20th C material culture scholars? Which school is located in a place where, if they don't have a super strong relationship with your interest, you can easily access opportunities yourself?

Your list and academic interest is similar to my own. But do you have plans to apply to the Winterthur program in material culture at Delaware? It's a fully funded MA from what I've seen on the website, and you work in the Winterthur Museum.