Where are all the Classicists?

LateAntique

Hi, LateAntique.

I'm applying to Classics programs this year, and didn't want to leave you hanging on this thread. Either there aren't too many of us who have discovered/are interested in this forum... or those who have are being sneaky about it, I guess. I suppose I can gather from your name where your general interests lie. I'm not sure I want to be too specific about my interests/where I'm applying... but my plan is to apply to top programs, and I'm trying to narrow that list to around 10. I'm not even quite sure why I want to remain anonymous. Paranoia? Maybe. haha... but best of luck to you! I'll be commiserating every step of the way this tense application season. Hopefully we will both be happy classicists in the spring!

Hi, LateAntique.

Hi!

I'm applying to Classics programs this year, and didn't want to leave you hanging on this thread. Either there aren't too many of us who have discovered/are interested in this forum... or those who have are being sneaky about it, I guess.

I don't think there are that many of us to start off with - only a few hundred people get their degrees in Classics every year.

I suppose I can gather from your name where your general interests lie. I'm not sure I want to be too specific about my interests/where I'm applying... but my plan is to apply to top programs, and I'm trying to narrow that list to around 10. I'm not even quite sure why I want to remain anonymous. Paranoia? Maybe.

I don't understand either - we already know who you are. We've been tracking you for months on end.

haha... but best of luck to you! I'll be commiserating every step of the way this tense application season. Hopefully we will both be happy classicists in the spring!

Best of luck to you. If you figure out to which schools you're applying or care to share any more information, we're all ears.

I can't decide whether to apply in classics in political science. If it's in classics, I'm looking at applying to FSU, Indiana, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, and Colorado definitely, perhaps also to NYU and Minnesota.

I can't decide whether to apply in classics in political science. If it's in classics, I'm looking at applying to FSU, Indiana, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, and Colorado definitely, perhaps also to NYU and Minnesota.

Do your interests cross over? In other words, are you interested in the politics of antiquity? If so, Duke has Peter Euben.

Best of luck to you.

No, I'm more interested in poetry and Greek and Roman (and perhaps even more generally, ancient Mediterranean) religion. I just also happen to enjoy political science. Anyways, thanks for the well-wishes.

I got a 670V and 670Q on my GRE and am still awaiting my analytical score (guessing somewhere between 5-6). What do ya'll think of this score? Should I retake it and try and get closer to a 700 or above on the verbal part? I mean, I'm not going to be applying to an Ivy League school (I'm pretty sure they would laugh at my app :/ ) but I know how competitive classics can be. Or should I not worry too much?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm another Classics person, I've browsed this forum but never felt like posting. I finally hit my tipping point in another thread, so now that I've broken the proverbial seal, I might as well head over here, too.

Also, Joe, I think that your GRE scores are totally fine. You just don't want to raise any eyebrows for the worse (e.g. a score of 370 on a section or something) and you've passed that part for sure.

I'm another Classics person, I've browsed this forum but never felt like posting. I finally hit my tipping point in another thread, so now that I've broken the proverbial seal, I might as well head over here, too.

Also, Joe, I think that your GRE scores are totally fine. You just don't want to raise any eyebrows for the worse (e.g. a score of 370 on a section or something) and you've passed that part for sure.

Welcome - what are your interests and where are you applying?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the department at Johns Hopkins University? Considering applying there.

From what I know (and this is very little), I think they are a department in transition. They're still trying to recover from an exodus of faculty years ago and they're trying to figure out who they are.

I see. That's less than a glowing endorsement :D I don't think I'd be a good fit there anyways. Wish Detienne was still there. And I know I've come across the name Georg Luck somewhere. Ah yes, The Latin Love Elegy. Thank you Google Scholar. Book I should read.

Edited by Joe001