MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2016 Start (Canada)

14 hours ago, city girl said:

I should start looking for a place in waterloo. :)

I'm from Vancouver and have no interest in hunting for my own place and then buying/renting furniture, so I've just gone with a housing company (Domus). 

"Thank you for your continued interest in the Master of Public Policy (MPP) program at the School of Public Policy and Governance.
We would like to update you on our 2016 Admissions process at SPPG and inform you that we have now fully recruited our incoming Class of 2018. As such, your Admissions status for the MPP Program will remain as an applicant on our waiting list for the FALL 2016 MPP program."

-I still remain on the waitlist, with no idea of my rank :( 

If you're in the same position as me, please let me know.

21 hours ago, almondmilk44 said:

"Thank you for your continued interest in the Master of Public Policy (MPP) program at the School of Public Policy and Governance.
We would like to update you on our 2016 Admissions process at SPPG and inform you that we have now fully recruited our incoming Class of 2018. As such, your Admissions status for the MPP Program will remain as an applicant on our waiting list for the FALL 2016 MPP program."

-I still remain on the waitlist, with no idea of my rank :( 

If you're in the same position as me, please let me know.

I am still under review. Still no closure.....

Just curious how many students does UT accept for its incoming class? And other schools?

For City Girl: Did u accept for Waterloo MPS? You are aware that the MPS program is actually located off campus in uptown Waterloo that close by enough to the main campus. Semi disappointed by that but it made sense - I couldn't see where the MPS can be held on main campus.  Sooo just a fyi when u figure out where to rent a place.

Edited by coldzero

5 hours ago, coldzero said:

Just curious how many students does UT accept for its incoming class? And other schools?

For City Girl: Did u accept for Waterloo MPS? You are aware that the MPS program is actually located off campus in uptown Waterloo that close by enough to the main campus. Semi disappointed by that but it made sense - I couldn't see where the MPS can be held on main campus.  Sooo just a fyi when u figure out where to rent a place.

U of T is supposed to let in 80 which is the typical class size, but rumour is they actually accepted 100 and misjudged how many people would decline the offer. This likely accounts for why there didn't seem to be many second round offers. There was also an unusually high number of applications this year. They generally have a 10% acceptance rate so you could imagine how many applied. 

On 4/17/2016 at 5:52 PM, coldzero said:

Wow. Good to know. I just declined my MPS offer so I guess it doesn't matter, but while doing my research on the program, I never saw a tidbit about how the program wasn't situated on main campus...

On 2016-03-29 at 1:42 PM, coldzero said:

To Bellas above me. MPS at Waterloo does not offer funding and TAship because they are a course base master and not thesis according to their website and that why your MA in PS has funding bc it is thesis base.  Having anything like an internship/coop is actually consider a strong front in additional to your studies. Course base and the team base assignment in the last term of MPS offers more 'apply' approach than the MA.  So it really depends if you like to do a thesis or take courses too. Review the MPS courses too. I know I have only been aiming for a course base masters.  Plus you would most likely make back $15K or more with the 8 month coop.  

I finally join this forum because I been accepted to MPS at Waterloo too.  I honestly wanted people opinion on this program? Does anybody know anybody who in or has done the MPS at Waterloo? Their thoughts and opinions on it? I primarily like it the most because it has co-op.  

It was the only master program I applied for this year, I got dejected the last year or two when I only got waitlisted to Munk School of Global Affairs at UT.  I certainly don't apply to enough schools - I get tired just crafting one perfect personal statement lol. I am interested in the international policy stuff. 

Right now for me is either do the master or look for a job.

That's the one I am looking at as well. Could you kindly share some information regarding whether the MPS is really big on volunteer activities?

I only made the decision to go the public service route recently as I was in Commerce before, so never bothered with extra curricular stuff, so I'm in a bit of a rush to get a lot done as I will be competing with those who've been at it longer than me.

21 hours ago, prairie_canuck said:

That's the one I am looking at as well. Could you kindly share some information regarding whether the MPS is really big on volunteer activities?

I only made the decision to go the public service route recently as I was in Commerce before, so never bothered with extra curricular stuff, so I'm in a bit of a rush to get a lot done as I will be competing with those who've been at it longer than me.

Did you mean for your application? 

Well when it comes to MPP related - I always feel they prefer if you have had some sort of research and writing experience. Volunteer stuff and extra curricular does help but I feel with research experience puts you further. And having your research supervisor being your recommendations helps even more! I sometimes like to correlate how applying to MPP programs is like Law in how they holistically look at applications. I made it to law but decided I prefer policy instead so my writing approach was about the same.  Having experience working in public service would be beneficial too. I had all of those experience and was part of varsity throughout my undergrad. 

A key word to recognize and learn to utilize is the word ' interdisplinery' in the personal statement. My undergrad was not political sci. but I recognize what MPP was about and linked it to how my undergrad and research experience in that field would help me in MPS.

3 hours ago, coldzero said:

Did you mean for your application? 

Well when it comes to MPP related - I always feel they prefer if you have had some sort of research and writing experience. Volunteer stuff and extra curricular does help but I feel with research experience puts you further. And having your research supervisor being your recommendations helps even more! I sometimes like to correlate how applying to MPP programs is like Law in how they holistically look at applications. I made it to law but decided I prefer policy instead so my writing approach was about the same.  Having experience working in public service would be beneficial too. I had all of those experience and was part of varsity throughout my undergrad. 

A key word to recognize and learn to utilize is the word ' interdisplinery' in the personal statement. My undergrad was not political sci. but I recognize what MPP was about and linked it to how my undergrad and research experience in that field would help me in MPS.

Yes.

You see this is the thing, you had an idea as to what you wanted, so despite the change in track to policy you had been working towards a stellar application nonetheless because of law school. I was in Commerce for sometime and it was just a drag and I did because it was "useful" to get a 9-5 before I decided to pull the plug when I realized there is something I can do with Politics/IR, so now I'm in a bit of a rush to get a lot done in little time. Grades are looking good though.

Unfortunately I am doing BA (4yrs) and not the BA (4 yrs Honors). However, I do write and have articles published in newspapers and while that is not scholarly work I'm sure that should count for something among other extra curricular activities such as campaign work.

I'm hoping to move to Ontario so hopefully UW or Ryerson.

Great insight on the "interdisciplinary" part, much appreciated.

Edited by prairie_canuck

On 4/25/2016 at 0:37 PM, prairie_canuck said:

Yes.

You see this is the thing, you had an idea as to what you wanted, so despite the change in track to policy you had been working towards a stellar application nonetheless because of law school. I was in Commerce for sometime and it was just a drag and I did because it was "useful" to get a 9-5 before I decided to pull the plug when I realized there is something I can do with Politics/IR, so now I'm in a bit of a rush to get a lot done in little time. Grades are looking good though.

Unfortunately I am doing BA (4yrs) and not the BA (4 yrs Honors). However, I do write and have articles published in newspapers and while that is not scholarly work I'm sure that should count for something among other extra curricular activities such as campaign work.

I'm hoping to move to Ontario so hopefully UW or Ryerson.

Great insight on the "interdisciplinary" part, much appreciated.

BA Honours in Ontario is just a 4-year degree. A BA (without honours) is only 3 years in Ontario. My regular, non-honours 4-year UBC degree is technically a 4-year honours degree in Ontario.

Edited by belles

I got my acceptance letter for the University of Calgary MPP program earlier this month. It's the only place I applied as I don't have the option to move right now due to having a toddler, my husbands career and all our support here. But I'm excited to fire up the ol' brain again after being a SAHM for almost two years. 

Most of this thread has been discussing eastern Canadian schools, so I thought I'd holler from Alberta!