MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2016 Start (Canada)

50 minutes ago, U of T student said:

Did it say on SGS that a decision was made? 

I thought that they send out the first offers, wait a bit to hear back from them and then send out the second offers in April and do that until the class is full, then they notify people on what their status is waitlist or rejection?

JTMurray said that their first round last year went for a week and some heard on Thursday.

Perhaps them telling you that you're on a waitlist means that you're one of those shortlisted candidates who has a tentative position if the first offers don't accept (suggesting that you're in the second round of applicants), whereas I have my status as "under review"? :/

Good luck *hugs* :D

On SGS my status still says "under review". Here is an excerpt from the email: 

Thank you very much for your application to the Master of Public Policy (MPP) program at the University of Toronto. Unfortunately, at this time we will not be able to offer you a position in the MPP professional graduate program being offered at UofT in September 2016. However, we would like to place you on a waiting list for the FALL 2016 MPP program, commencing this September, and  we will update you on the status of your position on this waitlist by April 15th.  By this date in April, we anticipate we will will have had a response from our offer recipients in the first round and will know if an additional round of offers is required to complete the recruitment of our MPP Class of 2018. 

I would really love to hear if anyone also recieved this today. Please let me know if you have.

Also, I'm unclear whether or not 

a) I'll hear by the 15th of April for a decision ....or

b ) I'll hear on the 15th of April for a decision

what do you guys think?

46 minutes ago, almondmilk44 said:

On SGS my status still says "under review". Here is an excerpt from the email: 

Thank you very much for your application to the Master of Public Policy (MPP) program at the University of Toronto. Unfortunately, at this time we will not be able to offer you a position in the MPP professional graduate program being offered at UofT in September 2016. However, we would like to place you on a waiting list for the FALL 2016 MPP program, commencing this September, and  we will update you on the status of your position on this waitlist by April 15th.  By this date in April, we anticipate we will will have had a response from our offer recipients in the first round and will know if an additional round of offers is required to complete the recruitment of our MPP Class of 2018. 

I would really love to hear if anyone also recieved this today. Please let me know if you have.

Also, I'm unclear whether or not 

a) I'll hear by the 15th of April for a decision ....or

b ) I'll hear on the 15th of April for a decision

what do you guys think?

I think it means by the 15th of April at the latest because I think that's the date they want people in the first round to reply by? That's very interesting, that they're suggesting that there might not be a second round :/

Waitlist is better than rejection :D Let me know if they tell you more!!

4 minutes ago, almondmilk44 said:

allie22, teedee, theracon are any of you able to let us know the acceptance deadline for uoft's first round? 

:)

The first round of Offers of Admission for our 2016 Master of Public Policy Program (MPP) were released on March 14, 2016. Subsequent rounds will continue until the end of April, when we anticipate our incoming 2016 MPP program cohort will be completed. All applicants to the 2016 MPP Program will receive a notification e-mail response from SPPG byFriday, April. 29, 2016.

This was on the website, if it is helpful :D

48 minutes ago, U of T student said:

The first round of Offers of Admission for our 2016 Master of Public Policy Program (MPP) were released on March 14, 2016. Subsequent rounds will continue until the end of April, when we anticipate our incoming 2016 MPP program cohort will be completed. All applicants to the 2016 MPP Program will receive a notification e-mail response from SPPG byFriday, April. 29, 2016.

This was on the website, if it is helpful :D

Hi! The acceptance deadline is April 4th 2016 - It's approaching quickly with the $500 deposit...I need more time to think!!!!

P.S. Your CGPA is close to perfect. I wouldn't worry at all. To be honest, I don't even know what admissions committee look at...

Edited by teedee

13 hours ago, teedee said:

Hi! The acceptance deadline is April 4th 2016 - It's approaching quickly with the $500 deposit...I need more time to think!!!!

P.S. Your CGPA is close to perfect. I wouldn't worry at all. To be honest, I don't even know what admissions committee look at...

Thank you for sharing!! :D 

I got really emotional over this lol, I was crying because I didn't get an email about the waitlist so I'm thinking I got rejected. Because it's either acceptance, waitlist or rejection right? The waitlist people are the second round of offers I think so yeah, I guess no opportunity at an offer for me. Thank you for your encouragement lol, we could PM each other to talk, you're very kind!! 

7 minutes ago, U of T student said:

I got really emotional over this lol, I was crying because I didn't get an email about the waitlist so I'm thinking I got rejected. Because it's either acceptance, waitlist or rejection right? The waitlist people are the second round of offers I think so yeah, I guess no opportunity at an offer for me. Thank you for your encouragement lol, we could PM each other to talk, you're very kind!! 

:( Its been a very stressful time for a lot of us... Keep your chin up, they still might be sending out waitlist notices. As a few people have mentioned here are there, its not a no until you know for sure. I certainly wish there was some more transparency into their processes. 

1 minute ago, almondmilk44 said:

:( Its been a very stressful time for a lot of us... Keep your chin up, they still might be sending out waitlist notices. As a few people have mentioned here are there, its not a no until you know for sure. I certainly wish there was some more transparency into their processes. 

Thank you so much!! :D 

I'm really not a competitive person with other people, I'm glad those who got accepted got accepted!! :D I am really competitive with myself though, so I think that I messed up my application. The idea of having an internship and being able to work with colleagues (hence, why the competitive feeling?) is such an amazing thing!!

Let me know about the waitlist.

Hey guys, 

I hope that all is well :) 

Sorry to hear you're down about this U of T Student...this has definitely been a rough few months. My status still reads 'under review' so I also highly doubt I'll be accepted. I am now choosing between Carelton's MPP program and the Johnson Shoyama school. I might end up going to sask because everyone I know got great jobs right after (much lower competition than Ontario). 

All in all keep your head up! :) 

1 minute ago, OPI said:

Hey guys, 

Sorry to hear you're down about this U of T Student...this has definitely been a rough few months. My status still reads 'under review' so I also highly doubt I'll be accepted. I am now choosing between Carelton's MPP program and the Johnson Shoyama school. I might end up going to sask because everyone I know got great jobs right after (much lower competition than Ontario). 

WHAT?! Mind me asking what are your stats? Because I think you are very qualified, if you got into Carleton and Johnson Shoyama (not sure what Johnson is, but getting into grad school on its own means you're top notch) Did you get a scholarship for both? :D

Thank you so much for all your love :wub:

1 hour ago, U of T student said:

Same boat here..... Very upset BUT I at least have ryerson's MPP as my second choice :/ THERE STILL MAY BE HOPE.

6 minutes ago, AlinaD said:

Same boat here..... Very upset BUT I at least have ryerson's MPP as my second choice :/ THERE STILL MAY BE HOPE.

I'm glad you have ryerson!! :D

I'm honestly beating myself up so much, I can't even eat without crying :(

1.  The admissions committee works in weird ways I don't think anyone understands. Don't presume to know what it means if you don't get an e-mail or if you're still 'under consideration'. It's, I think, purposefully cryptic. There's still another month to be sent an offer. 

2. Don't get down if you have excellent stats, put out an excellent application and you still didn't get an offer. I hear they got their maximum amount of applicants this year. The program is more popular than ever. Probably why Carleton opened more spots this year.

You guys are all very qualified and probably totally awesomesauce. The school has to make tough decisions. There are 750+ applicants and only 80 spots. Chances are that 81st person is just as qualified as anyone else. So keep on keeping on. You all have bright things ahead. 

1 hour ago, JTMurray said:

1.  The admissions committee works in weird ways I don't think anyone understands. Don't presume to know what it means if you don't get an e-mail or if you're still 'under consideration'. It's, I think, purposefully cryptic. There's still another month to be sent an offer. 

2. Don't get down if you have excellent stats, put out an excellent application and you still didn't get an offer. I hear they got their maximum amount of applicants this year. The program is more popular than ever. Probably why Carleton opened more spots this year.

You guys are all very qualified and probably totally awesomesauce. The school has to make tough decisions. There are 750+ applicants and only 80 spots. Chances are that 81st person is just as qualified as anyone else. So keep on keeping on. You all have bright things ahead. 

Thank you, this is comforting :D 

On 3/16/2016 at 1:30 PM, OPI said:

Hey guys, 

You can't go wrong with Johnson Shoyama. They've been really able to cultivate a great reputation in the policy community lately, and I've been told that they tend to be more flexible than schools like U of T or Carleton in terms of the fed-prov divide. 

On March 16, 2016 at 4:15 PM, JTMurray said:

This is an excellent post JTMurray. Arguably, anything that is not explicitly communicated by the admissions committee are only speculations. Nobody can predict how the committee works. What's a 'good' application? What are 'excellent' stats? What is an 'overall great' application? Are you an 'interesting' applicant? What do those words even mean? Most importantly, what do those words mean to the admissions committee? To put this in other way, nobody can predict whether the admission committee thinks you have a 'great application'. There's no logical method of calculating who will get in or not. Maybe someone got in because the admissions committee thought he/she had an interesting story to tell in their personal statement. Maybe that person got lucky when the admissions committee pulled their name out of a hat. Nobody knows.  This is what I have learned as a graduate student. This is not to say that people's opinions are not valuable. Reading posts from this forum can help you track the admission committee's progress with the offers!

Good luck! I hope your name gets pulled out of the 'admissions hat'! :-P joking! 

Cheers:)

Hey so I got into queens MPA and U of T which is great, I am wondering if any former queen's mpa people or just people with insight can help me out

I want to go to queens, but i don't want to not able to get a job (at least within 6 months post grad). do most people graduate and get jobs from queens? like even someone like me with no experience. i dont need the crazy positions i mean an entry level 35/40,000$ year job or something. Do most grads find jobs? Does anyone have any info on the queens internship, doesnt seem like it exists even?

thanks dudes

48 minutes ago, Clo said:

Hey so I got into queens MPA and U of T which is great, I am wondering if any former queen's mpa people or just people with insight can help me out

I want to go to queens, but i don't want to not able to get a job (at least within 6 months post grad). do most people graduate and get jobs from queens? like even someone like me with no experience. i dont need the crazy positions i mean an entry level 35/40,000$ year job or something. Do most grads find jobs? Does anyone have any info on the queens internship, doesnt seem like it exists even?

thanks dudes

Only thing I know about Queens, and this somewhat influenced my decision to apply there, is from a colleague, who is now a Senior Manager at my firm, who did his there. He served as IPAC President for NRC region and said good things about queens. Besides that I don't know job statistics. I lightly researched a bit on recent alum on LinkedIn (you can check who worked on the Queens Policy Review (which seems to list a large part of the cohort) and look them up).  The shorter one year is a plus for me at Queens, but a possible downside in terms of jobs, is that the one year with 5 courses a semester won't really allow time to learn French or another language. This could impact you if you intend on trying to get into the Feds. Other schools will give you enough time to pursue this in 2 year programs with less courses a semester.   So that could impact where/how you intend to work. I would assume most Queens grads go for consulting (where I am now), or Ont gov, or NPOs and private.

I did see U of T list where alum worked and what sectors/percent worked after graduation but couldn't find that on the Queens website.

Edited by ScotchHudgins

Omg guys, I got an offer of admission!! Very weird considering they sent out the first round offers last Monday and I don't think they do the second round offers until mid April!! :o You guys were right in saying that I shouldn't have assumed it was a rejection!!

So those who haven't heard back, do go on your email!! :D 

51 minutes ago, U of T student said:

Omg guys, I got an offer of admission!! Very weird considering they sent out the first round offers last Monday and I don't think they do the second round offers until mid April!! :o You guys were right in saying that I shouldn't have assumed it was a rejection!!

So those who haven't heard back, do go on your email!! :D 

Hey, congrats. Finally you can eat without crying:)

1 minute ago, Du said:

Hey, congrats. Finally you can eat without crying:)

Thank you so much!! :D My family is very happy that I could pursue my career goals!!

I replied to your other post. Tell me if you hear back from them the week of March 28th!! I'd love to work with you all as colleagues and make friends with you all!! :D

3 minutes ago, U of T student said:

Thank you so much!! :D My family is very happy that I could pursue my career goals!!

I replied to your other post. Tell me if you hear back from them the week of March 28th!! I'd love to work with you all as colleagues and make friends with you all!! :D

You are welcome. Yea, thanks, saw that and i'v replied to your post. I sure will and I look forward to that as well. Cheers:D

55 minutes ago, city girl said:

STILL WAITING FOR UOFT! STILL UNDER REVIEW!  I am nervous.... no indication of acceptance or rejection or waitlisting. ?????

But, I accepted the offer from University of Waterloo and was rejected by Carleton.

U of T student please give words of wisdom. 

PSH you are more wise than me lol :P

I didn't get an acceptance or waitlist last week when the offers went out and I thought I got rejected, but thanks to everyone on the forum, they're right you shouldn't assume you got rejected simply because you haven't heard from them!! :D Do not freak out like I did, but in my justification, I only applied to one school so the stakes were up a notch :P

I wouldn't pay attention to what SGS status says "under review" or whatever, because I did get rejected from another program at U of T via mail and it says "under review" not decision made. All that matters is your email inbox and know that offers go well into April so don't get upset if you haven't heard!!

Please don't hesitate to message me personally to rant or talk lol, I do hope you get accepted so you could all me wise throughout the program and also because you're awesome I'd imagine ;)