MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2016 Start (Canada)

I was accepted to Queens MPA on Feb.17th and have until March 11th to accept.  Limited funding is only offered after you accept.

I also applied to UofT, LSE (rejected), Carleton. Has anyone heard from Carleton? Some friends who applied 1 and 2 years ago mentioned they got offers in February or early March. 

Before I accept I wanted to hear from more offers but with the early deadline that may be a problem. Have any of you contacted the schools still pending and explained that you have a deadline ?

Edited by ScotchHudgins

On 3/1/2016 at 10:20 PM, Emnikki said:

Accepted today into queens mpa program.

3.2 gpa

3.7 last two 

159 LSAT (I applied for the dual jd program).

Also have very strong softs and LORS

Will likely be accepting! Was one of my top choices! 

Anybody know how many people they let in each year to the program? 

@Emnikki

if you don't mind me asking, have you heard back from other MPA choices?

Hey, 

I got accepted into ryerson's MPP awhile back, I want to say Feb 10th? 5K funding. 

Still waiting on UofT SPPG..

27 minutes ago, ScotchHudgins said:

I was accepted to Queens MPA on Feb.17th and have until March 11th to accept.  Limited funding is only offered after you accept.

I also applied to UofT, LSE (rejected), Carleton. Has anyone heard from Carleton? Some friends who applied 1 and 2 years ago mentioned they got offers in February or early March. 

Before I accept I wanted to hear from more offers but with the early deadline that may be a problem. Have any of you contacted the schools still pending and explained that you have a deadline ?

I was offered 5k in my offer of acceptance for queens mpa - haven't accepted yet, I have until the 17th 

18 minutes ago, ScotchHudgins said:

@Emnikki

if you don't mind me asking, have you heard back from other MPA choices?

Queens was the only MPA one I applied to since I can take it as a joint program with their law school. All other grad programs I've applied to are jds or a masters of poli sci at York 

4 minutes ago, Emnikki said:

I was offered 5k in my offer of acceptance for queens mpa - haven't accepted yet, I have until the 17th 

Congrats!  My deadline to accept feels pretty early, and I'm not sure I will hear from the other schools before then.  Have you thought about contacting schools in case they do not respond before the deadline to accept at Queens?

2 hours ago, ScotchHudgins said:

Congrats!  My deadline to accept feels pretty early, and I'm not sure I will hear from the other schools before then.  Have you thought about contacting schools in case they do not respond before the deadline to accept at Queens?

I'm thinking about it! Trying to figure out how to do this strategically ahaha 

1 hour ago, Emnikki said:

I'm thinking about it! Trying to figure out how to do this strategically ahaha 

I was thinking to email.

"Hello,

I received an offer of admission from another University with a deadline to reply by mid-March.  Blank is a top choice for me. I would like to know about the status of my application. Also, is it possible to know about my acceptance before mid-march? Thanks so much "

5 hours ago, ScotchHudgins said:

Carleton. Has anyone heard from Carleton? Some friends who applied 1 and 2 years ago mentioned they got offers in February or early March. 

Similar situation but I have till March 17th for Dal. Figure I will wait till next week to see if Carleton responds.

I suppose you could call Carleton and U of T and try to get a timeline from them as to when first rounds of offers are being made?

Edited by Herovid

Just now, Herovid said:

Similar situation but I have till March 17th for Dal. Figure I will wait till next week to see if Carleton responds.

I suppose you could call Carleton and U of T and try to get a timeline from them as to when first rounds of offers are being made?

I was thinking to send an email and say something like:

"Hello,

I received an offer of admission from another University with a deadline to reply by mid-March. Blank is a top choice for me. I would like to know about the status of my application. Also, is it possible to know about my acceptance before mid-march?"

As another alternative, is it possible to accept an early offer, then withdrew and accept another one that comes along? losing maybe deposits 

19 minutes ago, ScotchHudgins said:

I was thinking to email.

"Hello,

I received an offer of admission from another University with a deadline to reply by mid-March.  Blank is a top choice for me. I would like to know about the status of my application. Also, is it possible to know about my acceptance before mid-march? Thanks so much "

Email the school with the early deadline and ask for an extension. That's what I did a few days ago - got it extended by three weeks. 

5 hours ago, AlinaD said:

Hey, 

I got accepted into ryerson's MPP awhile back, I want to say Feb 10th? 5K funding. 

Still waiting on UofT SPPG..

Hey AlinaD, what's the offer deadline they've given you?

5 minutes ago, belles said:

Hey AlinaD, what's the offer deadline they've given you?

So they said i had to accept right away, i had 2 days but i called and spoke to the director. You can basically accept and keep your spot but if you get something else, you can accept that as well but you have to contact Ryerson to let them know that you will not be attending.

As long as the deposit isnt paid, which is due in June, i think you are fine

Has anyone heard anything from SFU or U of T yet?

I received offers from UVic and Waterloo so far, but am worried I'll have to give them responses before hearing back from Toronto and SFU 

2 minutes ago, allie22 said:

Has anyone heard anything from SFU or U of T yet?

I received offers from UVic and Waterloo so far, but am worried I'll have to give them responses before hearing back from Toronto and SFU 

Have not heard back from U of T.  I did hear their offers should come early March. 

Hello All - Lurker Here.

Congrats to all who were accepted! I got into the Queens MPA a few days ago with a March 17th deadline to accept. No indication of any funding or entrance scholarships in my offer email. I didn't apply to any other MPA/MPP programs.

Does anyone know what the funding packages are like for Queen's & when we get notice? GPA is 3.86

1 minute ago, noah1990 said:

Hello All - Lurker Here.

Congrats to all who were accepted! I got into the Queens MPA a few days ago with a March 17th deadline to accept. No indication of any funding or entrance scholarships in my offer email. I didn't apply to any other MPA/MPP programs.

Does anyone know what the funding packages are like for Queen's & when we get notice? GPA is 3.86

I also received an offer. My letter did not specify amounts. It said that funding would be awarded after acceptance for those the admissions deemed deserving based on "strongest overall application" you submitted (so your SOP, reference letters, grades, experience etc.). Once they determine the pool of candidates who are attending, they will decide from that grouping who the strongest candidates are. Only details I know is that there is a limited amount awarded,and limited TA/RAships.  There is also the internship route but apparently that is very competitive to get. I'm not banking on anything generous. 

One other person mentioned she received a 5k offer, but she applied for the joint JD/MPA so their funding protocol may be different.

Thank you for clarifying - I understand now (seems like a waiting game).  Although Queens is my first choice, I am waiting to hear back from a PhD Program at Waterloo before making a final decision. March 17th seems too soon.

Good luck to others waiting for admission.  

Hey guys, 

The wait is killing me! I got into one program, but I'm still waiting for UofT and Carelton to send out decisions. I will be giving SPPG a call today to find out when first round acceptances will be sent out. I will make sure to post what they say. 

52 minutes ago, OPI said:

Hey guys, 

The wait is killing me! I got into one program, but I'm still waiting for UofT and Carelton to send out decisions. I will be giving SPPG a call today to find out when first round acceptances will be sent out. I will make sure to post what they say. 

Yes!! Let us know what SPPG says :) thanks 

2 hours ago, OPI said:

Hey guys, 

Hello, i emailed Carleton some days back and they said "We are currently in the process of assessing applications and you should know within the month or so.  I should inform you that funding will not be available and we are only admitting truly exceptional international students".

I'm an international applicant by the way, cold response. Lol

If SPPG is not picking your calls, you can email them. They usually email back same day or the next.Goodluck.

2 hours ago, OPI said:

Hey guys, 

Hello, i emailed Carleton some days back and they said "We are currently in the process of assessing applications and you should know within the month or so.  I should inform you that funding will not be available and we are only admitting truly exceptional international students".

I'm an international applicant by the way, cold response; felt like i was rejected already. Lol

If SPPG is not picking your calls, you can email them. They usually email back same day or the next.Goodluck.

1 hour ago, Du said:

I'm an international applicant by the way, cold response; felt like i was rejected already. Lol

Wow, that's kind of harsh. I wouldn't give up hope though. You might be the applicant they are looking for! :)

My application with Carleton still reads "recommended for assessment". It's been like that since I submitted it

Edited by OPI

39 minutes ago, Du said:

I know right! Even if my grades are so bad, they can reject me politely, I wouldn't mind. Its not the end of the world. Thanks by the way:D

Mine reads "preliminary review required" since i submitted my application.^_^

Did you receive an email from the department asking to fill out a spreadsheet of your grades?