Electrical/Computer Engineering admission results?

durlov

Hi to all!

I see four entries for acceptance to Stanford. This shows that lots of people received acceptance on 03.02.07. Does anyone know that for how long Stanford sends out acceptances? Please do not say that only for one day. Also I wonder if they are sending funding info after acceptance or is it possible to receive funding with the acceptance mail?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all. I just joined this community and ran through the thread. I must congratulate the people who managed to notch up their admits, they do seem very impressive. It would be really helpful if people also posted some stuff about themselves as it would give one a general idea of what expectations the top schools have :) ..

I just got CS PhD rejects from MIT, Berkeley and CMU. Am still waiting out for UIUC and UPenn. Does anyone have an idea when they will come out (if not already?)

U should also post something about yourself in the style that was used :D

Lol.. Yeah Lukas, I would do that but considering I'm still sitting with an empty basket, I was planning on waiting it out for a little while.. :(

Btw, it looks like I missed the 'style' :oops: .. What is it?

Well it ain't over till the fat lady sings then.. :wink: Thanks!

Basically you should say something like this:

What school u've finished:

One of the best Universities in Romania for me (if that means anything to them)...

GPA while undergrad, masters and class rank:

9.67/10, top 2% while undergrad 10/10 masters

GRE scores, TOEFL scores

800A/570V/4.5 AWA 109 IBT

Publications:

3 IEEE conf.

Research, Teaching experience.

2 yrs Research & Teaching.

Schools applied to:

UW Madison (accepted, no aid)

Notre Dame U (accepted fellowship)

Northwestern U (waitlisted)

UCSD (strange offer)

UMN Twin Cities (waiting)

Berkeley (rejected)

Stanford (waiting)

WUSTL (waiting)

USC (materials didn't arrive at program)

What school u've finished:

One of the good universities in India ( IIIT - Allahabad.)...

GPA while undergrad, masters and class rank:

9.20/10, undergrad (just graduated in Dec)

GRE scores, TOEFL scores

800A/770V/5.5 AWA

115 IBT

Publications:

3 AAAI symposia, 1 ACM workshop, couple in minor confs.

Research, Teaching experience.

Interned for 6+3 months in Canada as a Visting Research Assistant in 2 univs.

Schools applied to:

Rejects: MIT, CMU, Berk :( (All PhD)

Stanford, UMD, Columbia (MS waiting)

UIUC (waiting)

UPenn (waiting)

UToronto (materials didn't arrive at program) :(

(I feel I made a major gaffe in not giving the Subject GRE.)

(I feel I made a major gaffe in not giving the Subject GRE.)

For the top schools a published paper is worth 10e7 subject tests.

The subject tests just shows that you can do homework.

The only case for which it might be useful is when you went to a very very obscure university.

After a year of being in the application process (in a few days it will be my TOEFL anniversary :wink: ), there's one thing that I still don't understand.

I see that people frequently post their stats, but nobody writes their age. Why?

Don't you think that age is significant?

If I finish my Master's at 27 or at 22 there's surely a difference.

From what I understand, in the US it's a don't-ask/don't-tell thing, as nobody writes the age in CVs.

But, if I remember well, all the graduate applications required that I wrote my birth date, so it's surely something they take into account.

I don't exactly know why :)

But in the USA the education is more flexible then in other countries. For example in Romania where I'm from school has a standard duration 4 years for a BS, 5 years for a BEng, 6 years for architecture, medicine etc. You cannot graduate in less.

In the US you can graduate in 3 years if you're smart, another year of masters and at 21-22 you have a masters. A Phd in 3 years and at 25 you're already a doctor.

Yeah Lukas, that's the same case with India. The earliest you can get through your bachelors in engineering (4year prog) is about 21. Schools which offer courses that may be completed before time usually award 3 year science/arts degrees which aren't accepted in the US anyway.

I'm 22 by the way. :P

The CS thread seems dead though :) so I thought I'd post here.

The subject tests just shows that you can do homework.

The only case for which it might be useful is when you went to a very very obscure university.

Don't know man. I've been trying to reason out my rejects so far. Quite a few of my seniors at college were admitted to PhD programs at the universities I got rejected at. The only difference in their profile and mine was that they all had 90%ile or better Subject GRE scores and I didn't give the test..

I think it is rather unethical of the grad admissions committees to refrain from giving out the exact reason for rejection. "There were too many qualified candidates" seems to be the standard nonsensical answer. :roll: Not being able to handle a couple of thousand applications (or less) seems quite funny to me. :x