Is Princeton Theological Seminary Top Tier?

balto68

I know that PTS isn't actually part of the Princeton. But it's an old, very established seminary. Does it rank with other top programs? I know it's a subjective question. Obviously I'm looking for academic rigor and quality scholarship, but naturally I'm also thinking about how the name looks on an application or resume.

EDIT: should've clarified, I'm looking at the MDiv level. Still undecided about my future interests in terms of doctoral work.

Edited by balto68

M.Div or PhD?

Yes on both accounts. Their PhD graduates are often found at lesser known seminaries. Understandably Harvard, Yale, and Chicago graduates dominate faculty ranks at those respective schools. So on that end, they're fairly incestuous but PTS is still a very highly regarded school.

A recent report ranks PTS as having the highest number of doctoral grads in faculty positions at Association of Theological Schools, which covers a variety of seminaries (https://www.ptsem.edu/indexmobile.aspx?id=25769809577). How an MDiv from PTS will look on an application or resume will depend on where you are applying. PTS is well-respected among mainline denominations, but if you are considering working in a more theologically conservative church or ministry, a PTS education may be respected but looked upon with some suspicion, depending on who you're talking to. For applying to PhD programs in the future, it also depend on the program. For example, biblical studies programs that are more focused on languages, ancient near eastern history, and archaeology may not think of a ministry degree like the MDiv as highly as an MA while other programs are happy to take PTS MDivs.

Biased certainly, but Yes: Duke and Yale are our main peer school in competing for masters level students. Our Systematic Theology, Biblical Studies, and Practical Theology doctoral programs are among the best (depending on your specific focus of course). Further, you can take a class a semester over at the Princeton if it counts for anything.