question about reapplying to programs

glacialflames

So, 2 years ago, i applied to and got into one of my top masters program choices. But I was young, and just finishing my undergrad, and naive when it came to the cost of masters degrees. So I had to turn it down because i couldn't afford to pay and wasn't about to go into such massive debt.

Now, I'm looking to reapply for a masters to the same program i got into before (because I'm adult-like now and can figure out slightly better how finances work.) And I'm wondering about reapplying. I was considering using essentially the same statement of purpose, just updated a little to reflect the past few years.

Does the fact that I applied and was accepted and then turned them down hurt my chances of being accepted again? And should i rewrite or substantially change my statement of purpose?

Any advice is appreciated.

I feel like most programs should be aware and acknowledge that finances for masters right now is a huge mess and therefore more lenient at the masters level than the PhD. I'd suggest writing a note either to the program director expressing your concern directly and the reason why you dropped it, as well as including a sentence in your SoP ensuring them you have funding in place to do the masters and will not turn them down again for that reason.

Does the fact that I applied and was accepted and then turned them down hurt my chances of being accepted again? And should i rewrite or substantially change my statement of purpose?

1) No.

2) Only if it needs it.

A friend of mine was in an extremely similar situation. He got into a highly ranked master's program but, because of career related reasons, could not attend at the time. They told him that, if he reapplied in a few years, his application would only be stronger from the experience he picked up in the meantime. Good luck!

Right to the graduate admissions person in the department and find out if you can re-establish your old application and what you need to do to re-apply.  Don't overthink this, especially that they're not even funding you.  They'd be happy to take your $$$.