Unrequested Materials

johndiligent

One of my schools does not require a writing sample. In fact, the only requirements are the online application, the application fee, the SOP, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a CV (no GRE scores since it's a Canadian school). Would you send a writing sample anyway or should I just be content with the SOP?

The best bet is to contact the department and ask if the adcom would be willing to accept a writing sample. You should probably be content with just the SOP, but if you feel that your writing sample significantly strengthens your application, go ahead and ask. I wouldn't sent it without permission though.

One of my schools does not require a writing sample. In fact, the only requirements are the online application, the application fee, the SOP, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a CV (no GRE scores since it's a Canadian school). Would you send a writing sample anyway or should I just be content with the SOP?

I am having similar thoughts about my CV. Some schools ask for it and some don't. I am thinking I might send it as well. I think that it can't work against me. I don't know about writing sample. I would ask for a permission, as fuzzy here already suggested because it is probably much longer than my cv B)

The best bet is to contact the department and ask if the adcom would be willing to accept a writing sample. You should probably be content with just the SOP, but if you feel that your writing sample significantly strengthens your application, go ahead and ask. I wouldn't sent it without permission though.

I agree.

I do find it odd that some schools don't ask for a writing sample, even for Ph.D. applications. One school I applied to was that way, and I didn't send them a writing sample.

I am having similar thoughts about my CV. Some schools ask for it and some don't. I am thinking I might send it as well. I think that it can't work against me. I don't know about writing sample. I would ask for a permission, as fuzzy here already suggested because it is probably much longer than my cv B)

You might even want to ask about sending a CV, unless there is a section that asks if there is anything else you would like to add. (Many applications have this, it is a good place to put an addendum if needed.)

I would ask as well. One program I'm applying to doesn't request a CV, but with 10 years of work experience, I feel like leaving out that experience (not including the CV) would hurt me. I called and asked and they indicated including the CV was fine.

I sent a CV to every school I applied to, whether they asked or not. Given that when I was applying to PhD programs my CV was only a page, I doubt it really annoyed anyone.

That said, I never sent a writing sample, except for the one program (out of 7) that required it. Don't think it hurt me. Just make sure the SOP is well-written.

I sent a CV to every school I applied to, whether they asked or not. Given that when I was applying to PhD programs my CV was only a page, I doubt it really annoyed anyone.

That said, I never sent a writing sample, except for the one program (out of 7) that required it. Don't think it hurt me. Just make sure the SOP is well-written.

My CV's 6 pages (archaeological excavations really fill it up), but I'd prefer to send it with every application. I'll make the token move of asking every time, but I really can't see them saying, "No, we absolutely don't want to see your CV."