Profile Evaluation, I'm pretty insecure

Goal: PhD in Political Science

Type of Undergrad Institution: #1 University in Brazil
Major: International Relations
Undergrad GPA: 3.66

Type of Grad:  M.A. in International Strategic Studies at the same university.

Grad Focus: National Security Institutions
Grad GPA:  3.71
GRE: 166 V, 162 Q, 4.0 AWA
TOEFL: 116

Letters of Recommendation: I have one great letter from my academic advisor, who is pretty well known in our field (international security and intelligence). The other two will be fine I think. I'm asking two guys who were my professors both during undergrad and grad school, so they know me well. One of them is an economist who is very well known in Brazil, but I'm not sure elsewhere. The other guy works with methodology and is one of the coordinators of the World Value Survey project.

Research Experience:  1. Three research projects with my advisor; 2. Undergrad and M.A. theses; 3. 3 papers in Brazilian journals (lower level journals, for undergrad), 3 book chapters, and 4 papers presented in conferences in Brazil, US and Peru (next year I'll present 2 papers at ISA)

Teaching Experience: 2 semesters being a TA during my masters (Security Studies and International Relations Theory B ); I've been teaching a few seminars about geopolitic issues in a prep course.
Subfield/Research Interests: comparative politics, security institutions, national security

I think my main weaknesses are my GPA, which could be better, my AWA score (but maybe the TOEFL can counter that) and the fact that even though I went to the best university in Brazil (and my undergrad program ranking #1), I'm not sure if that'll be acknowledged by the admissions committee. 

My goal is to get in Georgetown or George Washington, but I don't think my application is strong enough. I've sent my GRE scores to Brown and Boston U as well. Thoughts? Tips? Advice on where else I should apply?

Mostly because of the faculty, from what I gathered there are a few professors that could advise me on the stuff I'm interested in studying. I wasn't aware of their funding situation, their website says most people that get in the PhD program are fully funded, but honestly I've been going through so many programs' websites I could be wrong.

You should probably apply to more than two PhD programs if you want to be successful. You really need to identify additional programs where security studies is a focus. Take a look at the posts of other applicants here with similar interests and you'll see a bunch of other programs listed.

I'm planning on applying to 10 programs, but I'm having trouble identifying where I can get in given my profile. As I said, besides GW and Georgetown, I've sent my scores to Boston U and Brown, which are considerably lower on the ranking (U.S. News). Other options that I've found faculty that could help are Ohio State, Penn State, University of Chicago, John Hopkins and Duke, but all of those are better placed than GW and Georgetown, so I figured it would be harder to get in.

I would think you would have a shot at all of those higher ranked places you listed, as long as the faculty fit is good. 

There is obviously a tradeoff when applying to higher ranked schools, in that you are less likely to get in, but if you want to get a job at the end you really want to go to the best place you can get into. Look at the placement pages for BU and Brown...as I recall BU doesn't even list placements? 

No, I graduated from the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul. That's why I worry about the admissions committee not knowing it. Even though it is the best ranked university and program, I don't think people outside Brazil know that. I suppose I can fix that by mentioning it in my SoP.

I scoured the websites of the top 20 schools myself to see if my undergrad background matched the grad student's background when they got admitted. There are plenty of people from Brazil in these programs, and while I don't recall if they from the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, I'm sure enough come out of the country to where the admissions committees have at least some inking of its reputation. Though school reputation matters a whole lot less when you get outside the most competitive schools.

No, I graduated from the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul. That's why I worry about the admissions committee not knowing it. Even though it is the best ranked university and program, I don't think people outside Brazil know that. I suppose I can fix that by mentioning it in my SoP.

IR undergraduate rankings for Brazil are quite debatable, and USP leads the last one. In General USP and Rio Unis have the best brand value overseas.

Nonetheless, Federal Universities are well-regarded.

You should get a letter of recommendation from Paulo Visentini, he was Rio Branco Chair at Oxford recently.

Reis da Silva has taught at SOAS and did his PhD at Leiden which is well-ranked.