Confused about retaking GRE

Gana123

Hi all,

Need help. I took my first GRE today. My score is 315(Quant -165, Verbal - 150).

I am looking to apply for a MS in Computer Science from UCI, USC, UCLA or UCSD.

GPA - 3.5, Permanent resident, 8 years work experience as software development engineer (5 years in India and 3 years in US), good LORs, yet to take TOEFL.

My question is whether I should improve my verbal score. When I checked, the next test date is only on Dec 1.

Will it be too risky because the deadlines for majority of the schools is mid December.

Thanks people!

Hi Gana123,

Since your Quant score is right around the 90th percentile, you've put together a solid performance in that section. However, you should do a bit more research into the individual Programs that you plan to apply to, so that you can get a sense of how your GRE score 'matches up' with the data from past incoming classes (and whether you really have to improve your Verbal score or not). 

Considering the ease with which you should be able to schedule the GRE, why is it that YOUR next available Test Date isn't until December 1st?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

@EMPOWERgreRichC I think he means to say that he cannot get any GRE test dates before 1st DEC. 

@Gana123 Do not give GRE again. You have a nice quant score. Just focus on the rest of the package now. That is important. GRE is just a crucial part of it. Score good in TOEFL and you can make up for your verbal there.

I agree with TheBumChikiBum. I think adcoms care more about a solid performance of TOEFL scores than GRE verbal scores. Your composite GRE score of 315 should get you past most cutoffs. If your TOEFL is solid and you have a strong application in other respects, I don't think you need a retake. 

Edited by tmt503

• 1 month later...

I am so sorry, I didn't check the site after I posted the question. Thank you all for replying.

So I took TOEFL and I got 115. I took the GRE again, got an earlier test date(19th Nov) at a center that was about 70 miles far :)

I did improve my verbal to 156 but Quant came down to 162. So I improved my overall score from 315 to 318. I know not worth the effort :(

Anyways, I sent both scores to all four schools. UCLA and USC takes the best of each section. I am not sure about the other two.

Now concentrating on applications.

Thanks again guys!

Edited by Gana123

On 10/20/2015, 8:51:07, TheBumChikiBum said:

@EMPOWERgreRichC I think he means to say that he cannot get any GRE test dates before 1st DEC. 

This is off topic, but I really wanted to echo this. For those who live in rural areas, taking the GRE is not always so easy. At the location nearest my home, the GRE is offered three times a month. The next closest location offers it five days a week, but it requires a 6 hour drive (so, two days off work + hotel). For Rich and others who counsel test takers, please keep rural realities in mind before assuming GRE scheduling "ease."

Edited by med latte