What scholarships are worth trying?

Van MtCristo

Hey guys, one quick question in regard to scholarship.  It looks to me that when we apply for PhD programs, we are automatically counted as a scholarship applicant for the school.  But other than those scholarships offered by the schools, what are some other opportunities worth trying?  Are there any specific scholarships open to history students only? Thanks!

Fulbright's usually the default for non-doctoral students; it's difficult without knowing much about your field or interests, but many fellowships will either stipulate they are for doctoral candidates/junior faculty or independent scholars. But most of these fellowships have in mind that you are coming to stay with them for a few months at the very least. I don't know if there are any scholarships that are particularly open to non-graduate students, and you can imagine that's for good reason: most scholarships want to know that you've been vouched as someone who has a project, and is intending to produce *something* from the time you've spent with their money.

But more to the question, it's always worth trying fellowships and scholarships since half your job will always be applying for grants and funding. The more practice you get, even if it's 99% rejections, the better. You can always turn down a scholarship/fellowship if it turns out you got it + there's no way you can possibly do it. 

Usually anything like that is gonna be specific to your field. Like, I got support for my dissertation research and writing from a fellowship that's specific to Holocaust studies. You might be able to find something that's specifically to support research in [whatever your field is]. You can oftentimes get funding for things like language study; I got funding to do summer language programs from a program called Title VIII, which supports people working in Eastern Europe, Central Asia, etc. You just kinda have to poke around on sites that deal with your field, etc. and talk to people in your field to find out what opportunities might be available to you.