MA/PhD Art History

kellyk0202

I just got an acceptance letter today from Syracuse University, one of my back-ups. Anyone else applying for MA or MA/PhD programs in Art History? My top choices were Northwestern University and Johns Hopkins University. I also applied to Penn State, U of Maryland, and University of Connecticut (which had a late deadline. so they probably haven't made choices yet. Art History... anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats again! It must be great to know that you've got options for next year, even if you haven't heard from the schools you'd most like to attend. French art sounds amazing, and totally different from what I'm into (early 20th century Chinese calligraphy.)

I was rejected from WUSTL earlier this week, which was pretty awful, but I still have two more schools to hear from and a guaranteed spot for a third year in the MA program here. The gambler in me puts my odds at 50/50. Waiting is awful.

Well, I just got rejected from Princeton. The world of Chinese art history is very small, and I was hoping that the fact that I'm taking MA work in Chinese and translating for the National Palace Museum would put me ahead of the pack. Obviously I thought wrong. This rejection is especially sad because a professor at P-town encouraged me to continue my studies way back in 2003. Only Harvard stands between me and a third year here. This is awful.

That's too bad. It sounds like you have really great experience. I really hope you'll get in at Harvard. Aside form the Ivy League, I know U. of Michigan has a Chinese Scholar, though I doubt he's 20th C. I can only go to grad school if I get funding, so I applied to less competitive programs - I figure I'll apply to Ivy League Schools for my PhD (although I haven't entirely given up the idea of law school).

Thanks for yr. well wishes. I'm applying to PhD programs, not MA programs; I'm in the same boat with funding as you. Before I started my MA here, I applied to U. Kansas (got in - no funding.) Chinese art history is very strange, because there are so few truly excellent professors in the United States. I know that U. Mich has a good Chinese program - Martin Powers isn't really into modern stuff like me, but maybe they're worth a second look. And UChicago (although i hear that funding is awful) might make my list for next year, too.

The funny thing about the MA program at Taiwan University is that it's a three or four year program. I (mistakenly it seems) thought that two years of work would be enough to prove my salt to the admission committees. I guess I'm going to have to prepare for orals, after all.

ugh. What a nightmare.

• 10 months later...

I'm interested in contemporary visual culture... which has led me to apply to a variety of programs:

NYU- Visual Culture (PhD)
Stony Brook- Art History (PhD)
Boston University- Art History (rejected)
SAIC- Visual Studies (MA)
Hunter- Art History (MA)
WUSTL - Illustration and Visual Culture (MFA)
CUNY- Art History (PhD)

My undergrad is in Art History- thesis about contemporary Iranian/American visual culture.... so, wish me luck!

Just a suggestion to those posting: there is a History of Art MA/PhD 2008 thread as well. A lot of your questions/comments about specific schools may be addressed there. If there's no objection, I'd suggest moving the conversation about this year's admissions over there (unless of course Art History and History of Art are two different things).

• 1 year later...

Anyone wait listed?

I am in the wait list for harvard graduate program, and at wait is killing me. Anyone that can tell me how exactly this works and if I can do something in the meantime (sending another recomm letter, etc..). I am an international student!