Chemistry Application Fall 2016

ChemEnthusiast

Has anyone received email from Berkeley Admissions?

I received a phone call about acceptance from PI a few week ago but haven't received anything from their Graduate Admissions office regarding visit days and other info.

On the basis of MIT I received a phone call at the beginning of last week and an official email by the end of it. Don't know any status of how far they are, but that a couple of my high achieving friends have yet to get their acceptance as well. 

I'm still waiting to hear back from Michigan despite there being a lot of results, both acceptances and rejections, on the results page. 

Would it be appropriate to send an email like this to the professor I want to work for? I have never emailed this person previously:

Dear Dr. XYZ, 

I am writing to introduce myself as you review my application. I am interested in your work in the field of X and was particularly interested in your article Y. As I discussed in my SOP, I would be interested in working in your lab group. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

34 minutes ago, dells_of_bittersweet said:

I'm still waiting to hear back from Michigan despite there being a lot of results, both acceptances and rejections, on the results page. 

Would it be appropriate to send an email like this to the professor I want to work for? I have never emailed this person previously:

Dear Dr. XYZ, 

I am writing to introduce myself as you review my application. I am interested in your work in the field of X and was particularly interested in your article Y. As I discussed in my SOP, I would be interested in working in your lab group. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Thats a terrible idea

4 minutes ago, phenol said:

Has anyone heard back from Stanford at all in the past week?

Same here. None of my friends heard back from Stanford. Based on past two years' results, they should send out admission decisions within this week though. Good luck! 

Just now, phenol said:

Don't feel bad!  Berkeley is much, much better anyway.

Yeah I'm not too down about it. I'm still riding an emotional high from Berkeley. Still waiting on the official email from them though, so a very small part of me is convinced that sent me the wrong thing lol. 

11 minutes ago, dells_of_bittersweet said:

Is it odd that I have neither an acceptance nor a rejection from MIT?

Nope, I'm still in limbo too.

Fingers still crossed for a good outcome, but realistically I'm expecting a rejection tomorrow or the day after.

3 minutes ago, phenol said:

Nope, I'm still in limbo too.

Fingers still crossed for a good outcome, but realistically I'm expecting a rejection tomorrow or the day after.

Is being wait-listed a plausible outcome?

This happened to me with Michigan too. Nobody has had fresh results from them on the results forum for like a week and a half. They had a string of acceptances, then a big batch of rejections. Then silence. Wondering what that means.

In the interest of full disclosure, I mistakenly ordered my GRE scores sent on a timetable that got them there exactly 1 day after the application deadline for both schools.

Just now, dells_of_bittersweet said:

Is being wait-listed a plausible outcome?

This happened to me with Michigan too. Nobody has had fresh results from them on the results forum for like a week and a half. They had a string of acceptances, then a big batch of rejections. Then silence. Wondering what that means.

In the interest of full disclosure, I mistakenly ordered my GRE scores sent on a timetable that got them there exactly 1 day after the application deadline for both schools.

Honestly, I sure hope so.  Interestingly enough, I also fucked up my GRE score submissions and sent most of them a bit after the deadline.

1 minute ago, phenol said:

Honestly, I sure hope so.  Interestingly enough, I also fucked up my GRE score submissions and sent most of them a bit after the deadline.

I'm wondering if MIT is evaluating us in a second batch? Maybe looked at everyone who had everything in on time first?

6 minutes ago, dells_of_bittersweet said:

I'm wondering if MIT is evaluating us in a second batch? Maybe looked at everyone who had everything in on time first?

Try not to get your hopes up :᠎P

Edited by phenol

3 minutes ago, evanescent_wave said:

I had all of my materials in for MIT in like November, and I'm also still in limbo. I don't think it's (exclusively) a punishment for late GRE scores.

I keep getting emails from my other graduate coordinators asking me to lock in visit weekend dates, but I don't want to commit until I know all the programs I've gotten into.