Brooklyn College

I just looked at Brooklyn College's stats updated on ASHA page on October 22.

I must say, they are not as competitive as they have been in the past. 

Found on ASHA site: 

GRE:
Verbal reasoning: 145-168
Quantitative reasoning: 139-170
Analytical writing: 3.0-5.5
GPA:
3.2-4
I had everything here and still was denied. I am now really rethinking of not taking the GRE!
My GPA will be much this time around! Any thoughts? Should I retake GRE? V152 AW 4.0 Q141

It's really hard to say.  No one, not even the school's adcom, can predict what this year's applicant pool will look like.  Maybe it will be a repeat of last year's stats, maybe lower or higher.  You said that you met the program's minimum requirements and were still denied.  Sounds like they're looking at more than just scores when making their admission decisions, which (imo) is a balanced approach.  If you feel that your GRE scores are what has kept you from getting accepted, then definitely retake it.   

Have you tried reaching out to the deparment chair to ask if your stats are competititve enough for their program?  Good luck!

Edited by Rose Garden

It's really hard to say.  No one, not even the school's adcom, can predict what this year's applicant pool will look like.  Maybe it will be a repeat of last year's stats, maybe lower or higher.  You said that you met the program's minimum requirements and were still denied.  Sounds like they're looking at more than just scores when making their admission decisions, which (imo) is a balanced approach.  If you feel that your GRE scores are what has kept you from getting accepted, then definitely retake it.   

Have you tried reaching out to the deparment chair to ask if your stats are competititve enough for their program?  Good luck!

I went to the open house.  The graduate director said they look for GRE scores in the 50th percentile and higher. I am not sure what else I can do other than retake the GRE. It is very frustrating. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone who was accepted into Brooklyn college and had both GRE scores in the 140s. Also Brooklyn college does not weigh their GRE scores as heavily as other components. According to some of the faculty, it influences about 15% of their entire decision for each potential student.

32 minutes ago, shiseidored said:

It's not about your grades, they really play favorites and the decision making is rather unfair. I don't like to say that about programs but I went there as a post bac and I've noticed this tendency. 

play favourites in what exactly? like the ad com would chose students they explicitly know (from previous research, etc?)

Compared to other CUNY programs, Brooklyn has a higher acceptance for their students (even though they totally deny it). I also had an interview with a fellow classmate. She was kissing so much ass and was rehearsed her answers so well that I was sure she was wasn't gonna get in. She got into the program (I did too but I rejected the offer). I was talking to another former student who had the interview too and we were talking about our interviewing team. Apparently, one of the interviewers also wrote the recommendation for that student that shared that interview with me. I spoke to a professor friend of mine and told me that was an illegal move on the school's part. It made me sad because I was interested in attending the program when I was a post bac but just had a fishy feeling about them when I started applying to grad programs.

1 hour ago, shiseidored said:

Compared to other CUNY programs, Brooklyn has a higher acceptance for their students (even though they totally deny it). I also had an interview with a fellow classmate. She was kissing so much ass and was rehearsed her answers so well that I was sure she was wasn't gonna get in. She got into the program (I did too but I rejected the offer). I was talking to another former student who had the interview too and we were talking about our interviewing team. Apparently, one of the interviewers also wrote the recommendation for that student that shared that interview with me. I spoke to a professor friend of mine and told me that was an illegal move on the school's part. It made me sad because I was interested in attending the program when I was a post bac but just had a fishy feeling about them when I started applying to grad programs.

oh man... :( im interested in their abroad program.. this kinda blows...

6 hours ago, shiseidored said:

I know someone who was accepted into Brooklyn college and had both GRE scores in the 140s. Also Brooklyn college does not weigh their GRE scores as heavily as other components. According to some of the faculty, it influences about 15% of their entire decision for each potential student.

Do you know the full breakdown on how much weight each component of your application influences their decision?