EAPSI 2016

Samieru

15 hours ago, iCki3Tina said:

I accepted the offer today. Are we supposed to receive any confirmation email from Elena? 

I received notification from her stating the acceptance was noted.

EDIT: It took a couple of days to hear back though.

Edited by bhub

On 3/4/2016 at 8:32 AM, LNS_2 said:

Just got my New Zealand offer at 8:30 am! What a way to wake up. FYI: I am geoscience, review started on February 5th. 

Two days ago I received an email stating I had been placed on an alternates list for New Zealand. Apparently for those individuals that initially receive offers and cannot accept for whatever reason alternates will be the next individuals awarded.

Hey, so has anyone, especially others who accepted an offer to Japan, done any work or has successfully found housing? The manuals say to contact your host ASAP, but there has been little guidance. Wondering if anyone else has looked into this.

thanks

38 minutes ago, rdevine said:

Hey, so has anyone, especially others who accepted an offer to Japan, done any work or has successfully found housing? The manuals say to contact your host ASAP, but there has been little guidance. Wondering if anyone else has looked into this.

thanks

I second this for Korea. It seems especially difficult to find anything outside of Seoul. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Definitely ask your host about housing. If you're at a university they might have special short term researcher housing or dorms which are fairly inexpensive. 

5 hours ago, DrIblis said:

Do you guys want to create a Facebook group so we sort of know who is who in DC? The EAPSI group did that last year

Great idea, @Drlblis! 

Also, for those who got accepted to China, has any of you received anything else besides the tentative offer email? Thanks!  

1 minute ago, CeeN said:

Great idea, @Drlblis! 

Also, for those who got accepted to China, has any of you received anything else besides the tentative offer email? Thanks!  

I'm also waiting on China, and haven't gotten any news since my tentative acceptance. Am I right in assuming you haven't either?

Anyone else?

1 minute ago, GBinAZ said:

I'm also waiting on China, and haven't gotten any news since my tentative acceptance. Am I right in assuming you haven't either?

Anyone else?

GBinAZ, yes, you are right! I know they said it may take a few weeks for the offer to become official, but should we be worried at all? 

On 3/10/2016 at 0:27 AM, rdevine said:

thanks

My host just offered me housing through an international student dorm. Perhaps check with your university about availability. (I'm a Japan fellow FYI)

Edited by indigobunting

On March 10, 2016 at 0:27 AM, rdevine said:

My host contacted me about this, actually. They contacted him independently about helping out with finding housing. Might be a good idea to contact your host if s/he hasn't reached out to you already.

Thanks for the help guys. I did the same about contacting my host right away and he had mentioned sending a housing form and forgot, I'll follow up this week. I would also definitely join a Facebook group!

Have people gotten their official acceptances yet? I received my tentative offer and information about traveling to DC, but nothing has changed on the fastlane website (still says pending) and I haven't had any updates via email. If you have received a final acceptance, how did it come? Should I contact Elena?

Thanks for the tips. Also, I created a facebook page last night "EAPSI 2016", it should show up.

For Taiwan, Elena sent us an email with the official acceptance letter attached from MOST, which is the science governing body over there.

The email was sent on March 11th. But the acceptance letter was signed on March 8th.

On March 14, 2016 at 2:56 AM, sciaenops said:

For Taiwan, Elena sent us an email with the official acceptance letter attached from MOST, which is the science governing body over there.

The email was sent on March 11th. But the acceptance letter was signed on March 8th.

Do we need to forward the official acceptance letter from MOST to our host advisor? I just met my advisor yesterday at Taipei :) 

3 hours ago, sal_dali said:

Aside from the flight/travel arrangements - has anyone heard anything about making hotel reservations for the orientation?

My understanding was that those were made when you registered.  One of the emails I got from Andrea said " Hotel accommodations will be made for you based on the dates indicated on your registration form."  I'm assuming that means we automatically have a room at the Marriott where the meeting is...although it doesn't specify if we are sharing rooms or not (I'd guess, based on how pricey that hotel is, that we'll each get a roommate).