Having an Undergrad Degree in a Different Program?

Unimpressed3D

I'm trying to decide if I should bother doing this (not to the exclusion of applying to programs in my own degree area, of course). Sorry if it's in the wrong section, but I'm trying to get a general impression.

I'm a Literature major (senior year), but I switched from Psychology, and my primary interest is still there. It comes through loud and clear in my papers, especially one I just had accepted and read at an academic conference. My prof told me this would look great when it's time for grad school, but what if I jump into a different discipline?

Just to be clear, I'm sure it's next to impossible to get into a PhD, PsyD, or Master's in psychology itself; I was thinking more in a related field, like counseling or something. I'm not sure what my options are, or if it's just not a good idea. I'm also toying with the idea of sociology or even communication. My AA had an emphasis on communication, actually.

Edited by Unimpressed3D
Missed the boat on something I mentioned, so it's no longer relevant

I didn't go into psychology, so I don't know how helpful that would be for you. I was just trying to let you know that it is possible to switch fields for grad school, provided you can convince others of the reasons for the shift.

Oh, I see. Thanks. I'm thinking of wandering into Women's or Gender Studies, which isn't far removed from where my research has tended to go, anyway. I guess I'm kind of leery of limiting myself without knowing what it's going to be like "from the inside." I certainly don't want to attempt changing my focus, outside of a discipline, once in a program. I think I could be happy with literature, too, with the right concentration. Finding that is proving tricky.

I am in the natural sciences, so I may not be able to relate completely to your question.

However, I think an important question you should be asking yourself is, what do you want to do/study/work with day in day out? A motivated application to a program that is maybe a little unusual given your background is going to be much more convincing than an unmotivated application to a program that was just the most obvious fit, but not something you are excited about. I think it is a better idea to start thinking about what you would really like to do, what excites you. Write it all down, even if it seems silly or unrealistic. When you have an idea about what you want, which subjects/methodologies really turn you on, then you can start thinking about how you can get there, which qualifications you have that might support you. Look at programs that have that right mixture of what you are into, and where your background can be an advantage even if it is from a slightly different field. And then write an application that reflects that motivation and focus. 

I changed fields between my BSc and my MSc, and now I am applying for PhDs in areas that are not obvious extensions of the (formal) qualifications of my MSc. It has worked out great, and sometimes to my advantage, because in order to change fields I thought pretty long and hard about it, which means that I switched fields to something that I was really passionate about. The motivation + whatever tools that could be transferred from my previous degree made me a very interesting candidate.

Good luck!

You sound uncertain about what you want overall. It is possible to change fields if one takes the appropriate prerequisite courses, but in the course of the two posts here alone you went from wanting psychology to thinking about gender studies to then saying that you could settle for literature.

What is it that you want to study? Do you have a research question or area of scholarship you are deeply interested in? Because that should guide your PhD program choices. If you want to practice as a therapist, you'll need a degree that will allow you licensure to do that, of course. If you want to be a professor, think about what you would want to teach on a daily basis, and in what department, but also about the kind of research you want to do and through which lens you want to do that research. Psychology is very different from literature. Women and gender studies is an interdisciplinary field that could take a literature major granted your major was relevant to what you wanted to do (e.g., representations of African American women in late 19th century American literature). But you may find faculty options more limited with that PhD.

• 3 weeks later...