MS in Computer Science..USC or NCSU??

I will recommend USC. I know it gives out tons of admits to international students but you get pretty good jobs as you are close to silicon valley. Also, you will be california, the best place to be in US. If you find enough profs of your research interest at USC then you must go there. Hands down!

Having lived in both Cali and NC, I can say that both areas are quite nice. You may have more crime in LA though, I have never lived in that part of California so can't really comment on that.

If getting a job is part of your motivation, keep in mind silicon valley is norcal, so it's not like you will be living in the heart of silicon valley...where at NCSU you have the research triangle, which you are in the heart of. Opportunites in the triangle are just as good as in silicon valley imo.

Regardless, you should pick the school which is strongest in your research area and concentrate on that.

Both the univesities are pretty good in my research interests. I wudnt mind payin for USC if I d get better benefits from the job scene than from NCSU. But how easy wud it b to search for internships/jobs since raleigh i heard isnt a major city? On these lines, i feel gettin a job/internship in LA would be a lot easier. Correct me if i m wrong..

Check out the wikipedia entry on the research triangle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle

quote:

The Triangle's population is the most educated in the United States, with the highest number of Ph.D.s per capita.

LA def. has its draws too, but I wouldn't count out NCSU as far as getting job contacts goes...I have a few friends working there as scientists in different fields and they enjoy it very much.

I had lived both in NC and CA...particularly Winston-Salem and LA (albeit only for 2-3 months)...as he said research triangle is a big thing in NC but I don't think it can be compared to silicon valley....silicon valley is way ahead...also if you want a really calm and peaceful place, you should go to NC as LA is pretty much happening and crowdy... So, I think you have an idea...As far as the interactions are concerned I had a feeling USC had very strong alumni connections etc which helps a lot in getting jobs.. as arlutin mentioned research interest should be the top priority but if both are equally good, you know the details to decide on where you should go...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...