LORs

Soo I reached out to 3 previous professors via email to write recommendation letters and have heard nothing back. Last week I called and left messages and still nothing. I know you need academic recommenders and I can't think of anyone else to ask... I guess I'm more venting then asking a question. Just frustrated that I feel like this is the end of my road bc without academic recommenders I'm out of luck. 

I don't have any super helpful advice but one reason could be if they're going to ASHA next week. Professors are super busy prepping for that and I know professors at my undergrad institution told us they wouldn't even think about LORs until after ASHA. so just a thought. 

If possible, try to meet in person when asking for letters of recommendation. After speaking to a faculty member at my program who was on admissions, they mentioned that they preferred students to ask for LORs in person and found emails for LORs a little off-putting. A letter of rec is a pretty big thing to ask for, so it is nice to take the initiative to ask for it in person. They may also want to talk with you or have questions for you before agreeing to write you a LOR. This is just my experience with the professors I've spoke to at my program after admissions. This is of course no hard set rule, it is just what I had learned/heard after going through the lovely process last year. 

A lot of professors have multiple emails and rarely check their voicemail. As cliche as it sounds, they come from an older generation where in person contact is far more efficient than anything digitally or electronically generated.

If you contact them in person, you'll also receive an answer up front - if they reject you, you have the opportunity to ask why. 

If they are not available in person, then be politely persistent. Make sure your header clearly and concisely states the purpose of the message. If you have time, send a personal note in the mail - professors often check their boxes on the way to work, or after class.