emailing professors

hamster09

So I have tried to email a professor at U Mass. He works primarily on apoptosis. I introduced, myself gave lil bit of background on the research that I have done and have told him that I am interested in training in his lab. He replied and said that he was delighted about my email and that my background suits the research in his lab. He also mentioned that there is a central admissions process and that there are other labs at U Mass that may suit my interest. He also said that if I go on one of the interviews he would be pleased to meet me. well actually i told him i am interested in cellular signaling in cancer and inflammation and specifically that i wanted to study the mechanisms of regulation of apoptosis. I also offered to send him my CV but i suppose he is not interested.

Is it a bad sign?

Does it end there? Do I write back and tell him more about my interest in apoptosis?

Frankly that sounds like a really good reply to me. He seemed interested in you, but made the point there were other labs, just in case you might be interested in them as well. I wouldn't see that as a sign that he wouldn't want you in his lab.

He might not have seen your question about the CV and just replied to the main content of your email. If he's emailed you back, and you haven't replied yet, go for it! Ask him follow up questions if you have any, etc.

Key words he used were "delighted" and "pleased to meet you." That's very promising.