Do History PhD programs typically give you most/ some summers off?

MiddleEasternHistoryStudent

It depends upon the program. The people I talked to at Baylor last year said you were highly encouraged to take summer courses, though it wasn't required. But you should be doing research during the summer...

Right, of course - but, my point is: are people required to actually be on their regular campuses taking courses as if it was the regular Fall/ Spring term?

I would be taking language classes at Middlebury related to my areas of specialization, not just goofing off doing nothing all summer. And, for the rest of the summer, I would be doing research relevant to my dissertation, but that doesn't necessarily have to be on the campus where I am earning my PhD.

Each department usually has an outline of how they picture your life available online. I've seen departments say explicitely that one is expected to take courses and kindof stretch the 100% credits to 3 semesters instead of 2 (although even then they admitted that it would be acceptable to do 2 intense semesters).

But most I've seen have it as research time for your summers. (although in later years you might actually end up adjuncting)

Edited by random_grad

I used to teach in one of the summer terms to earn extra money, even though I wasn't taking classes then. So, while you may not be required to be on campus, there may be benefits (financially or otherwise) from being local for at least part of the summer.

None of the programs that accepted me required students to take courses over summer. It's generally expected that you'll do research, language acquisition, maybe teach your own course when you've advanced to candidacy, etc during that time. I don't know that any of them even offer graduate courses over summer.

You'll also be expected to start reading for comprehensive exams in your first and second year summers in addition to whatever your primary task is, may it be language study or research.

At my program you are not required to be on-site during breaks, and many people spend the summer doing language intensives like Middlebury, researching, traveling, etc. In fact, my adviser specifically recommended that I do a summer language intensive instead of taking language courses during the school year. Each program is different but generally I think your plan to do language in the summers would be fine. 

On 11/12/2015, 9:44:53, ashiepoo72 said:

None of the programs that accepted me required students to take courses over summer. It's generally expected that you'll do research, language acquisition, maybe teach your own course when you've advanced to candidacy, etc during that time. I don't know that any of them even offer graduate courses over summer.

I'd agree with this assessment. You probably won't "have to" do anything over the summer, but you should be doing something that contributes to what you're studying. 

There are no PhD courses over the summer in my program. The summer between the 1st and 2nd years is free time, although you should be doing some readings or thinking about your research, but you can relax.  The following summer is spent doing preliminary research for your prospectus, which we have to defend in the fall of the 3rd year, and there is a prospectus workshop that is mandatory.  After that, summers are spent doing research or writing, as are the other times of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have courses during the summers, but I spent basically every summer working on language study or on research travel that I couldn't fit in during the school year. I also went to a couple workshops and conferences during the summers.