Programs and evaluation

Reif

Hi everyone,

I plan to apply for PhD in Education(especially education policy/analysis) next year. Would anyone be able to give me some advice on what I should do now so that I have an upper hand a year later when applying?

Here is my brief background.

I am an international student with a Bachelor degree in Finance, and currently, I study an econ master at UW-Madison. Before coming here to the U.S., I have worked tow years as a research assistant at a top research center in my country (probably in the world as well), doing empirical studies on law, policy and economics. However, I do not have any experience in actual teaching or administration work. I plan to apply for programs on the east coast, especially in NY state for family reason. So, I aim at TC Columbia, NYU, Boston, UPenn, Harvard and so forth. I would like to know:

1. There are different PhD or Ed programs. If I want to become a professor or a researcher in the future, which kind of program should I choose? I am a little confused.

2. How much does GPA weigh in applying the program? My undergrad GPA is about 85/100 from the best University in my country (world rank 60-70).

3. Are there any prerequisite courses I need to take? I have looked up the programs' websites but found little information about it. It seems like they accept people from a wide range of discipline.

4. How does GRE matter for schools in different tiers? My GRE taken ten months ago was 168 Q/ 155 V/ 3.5 A. Do I have to take it again?

5. This one is specific to those with a degree in economics. Does having such a degree give me a better chance at being admitted in terms of the quantitative training and research methodology I have received from the master program? 

6. How much does writing sample weigh in application? I am working with a professor now on crime and education policy (economic theory and empirics mixed). Can it be a strong signal for my research potential?

These are the questions I have thought up right now. Please help me with these. I might bring forth more questions later. Thank you!

I have answers to a few of your questions but don't know your field well enough to answer all of them. In general, you'll need to articulate a clear interest in education policy in your statement of purpose, one which connects what you've already done (economics background) to what you want to do going forward.

1) A PhD is a research-based doctorate and is what most professors have, even in schools of education. The Ed.D. is more of a practice-based doctorate. While both are terminal degrees, there are generally differences in the coursework you do and the dissertation. If you look closely at the requirements for the degrees, this should become (more) apparent.

4) As an international student, they will also be looking at your TOEFL score. Your verbal and writing scores are a bit low so a good score on the TOEFL will really help you out.

I'm sure others can chime in with advice on the rest. Best of luck!

5 hours ago, rising_star said:

I have answers to a few of your questions but don't know your field well enough to answer all of them. In general, you'll need to articulate a clear interest in education policy in your statement of purpose, one which connects what you've already done (economics background) to what you want to do going forward.

1) A PhD is a research-based doctorate and is what most professors have, even in schools of education. The Ed.D. is more of a practice-based doctorate. While both are terminal degrees, there are generally differences in the coursework you do and the dissertation. If you look closely at the requirements for the degrees, this should become (more) apparent.

4) As an international student, they will also be looking at your TOEFL score. Your verbal and writing scores are a bit low so a good score on the TOEFL will really help you out.

I'm sure others can chime in with advice on the rest. Best of luck!

Hi Rising_Star,

My TOEFL is 112/120. Does that help me at all? 

I think PhD is the path I am thinking.

Thank you.

In general, you'd want a PhD, but if you were to go to Harvard and get an EdD, that would work for an academic career.

Re: your GREs, the writing score is a bit of a red flag--if you took it again, that's what you should concentrate on.

There are lots of econ-trained people working in ed policy, so I think that's a good background to have.

The #1 thing you can do is get research experience. If you can present and publish before applying (or at least have a few things submitted), that is even better.

Good luck!

Reif - I put my comments below in red underneath your questions:

On 11/25/2015, 2:20:27, Reif said:

Hi everyone,

I plan to apply for PhD in Education(especially education policy/analysis) next year. Would anyone be able to give me some advice on what I should do now so that I have an upper hand a year later when applying?

Here is my brief background.

I am an international student with a Bachelor degree in Finance, and currently, I study an econ master at UW-Madison. Before coming here to the U.S., I have worked tow years as a research assistant at a top research center in my country (probably in the world as well), doing empirical studies on law, policy and economics. However, I do not have any experience in actual teaching or administration work. I plan to apply for programs on the east coast, especially in NY state for family reason. So, I aim at TC Columbia, NYU, Boston, UPenn, Harvard and so forth. I would like to know:

1. There are different PhD or Ed programs. If I want to become a professor or a researcher in the future, which kind of program should I choose? I am a little confused.

You want a PhD.  EdDs are usually for people who want to be full-time administrators and have different curriculum/dissertation requirements.

2. How much does GPA weigh in applying the program? My undergrad GPA is about 85/100 from the best University in my country (world rank 60-70).

Depends on the program, but any competitive program wants to know you can do the academic work.  I won't think that a 85 would put you out of the running though.

3. Are there any prerequisite courses I need to take? I have looked up the programs' websites but found little information about it. It seems like they accept people from a wide range of discipline.

Not usually although some programs will assume you have a couple years of experience in education before you apply especially at the PhD-level.  In my field of higher ed, hardly anyone goes straight through from bachelor's-master's-PhD because the field requires you to have several years of relevant full-time experience.

4. How does GRE matter for schools in different tiers? My GRE taken ten months ago was 168 Q/ 155 V/ 3.5 A. Do I have to take it again?

The importance of the GRE ranges too much within schools of the same tier to give you any generalizable advice.  I would just ask programs directly or current students of the programs you want to apply to to get the best idea.  You can assume though that as you go down the tiers incoming students will have lower GRE scores.

5. This one is specific to those with a degree in economics. Does having such a degree give me a better chance at being admitted in terms of the quantitative training and research methodology I have received from the master program?

It can be a real benefit if your research interests focus on economics of education or something related.  You stated interest of "education policy/analysis" is a bit too vague to know what exactly you mean as that could encompass a lot of different areas and systems of education.  Some people with your research interests also do qualitative research so it is hard to say with that you have written.

6. How much does writing sample weigh in application? I am working with a professor now on crime and education policy (economic theory and empirics mixed). Can it be a strong signal for my research potential?

Unlike other fields, a lot of Education PhDs programs have done away with the writing sample.  I know only one of my programs requested it.  What is heavily weighed which you haven't mentioned is the personal/academic statement.  That is where you craft your personal narrative of your research interests, your professional experiences, and other personal relevant details into one compelling package as why you are ready for the PhD and why you want to attend this program specifically.

These are the questions I have thought up right now. Please help me with these. I might bring forth more questions later. Thank you!

My main concern is after viewing your questions is you never really mention what your research interests are.  This is critical!  Usually you select programs based on who you want to work with on the faculty - it is a little odd to select schools first without knowing if there are faculty that you want to work with.  This usually plays out okay on the master's level, but doesn't work out on the PhD level since you need to do original research to get the degree and you need someone with expertise in your area to direct you.  I would really figure this question out first before starting to look at which programs that you want to apply to.