from Art to Education - advice needed

tunic_youth

First post, first inquiry :)

I'm looking for a PhD program in education:

• that could be open for students who don't have academic base in edu (I have a MA in Art History),
  • programs which have a more multi-/intercultural approach,
  • and with potential funding for international students (coming from Serbia).

Considering important that the studies are not purely theoretical, rather having enough amount of practical work (I really cannot continue solely reading books and learning theories, without a clue how to do smth practical). Also hoping that the studies would give me a strong basis as an future educator/professor...

My background pretty much stands in art history (studies), contemporary art, art projects and curating (experience). However, regarding edu, I do have some basis:

• for almost a year and a half I was working as an associate curator in an African museum, as part of the department of edu, participating in many public projects (workshops, festivals, exhibitions, panel discussions, public guidances), for different audiences (kids, students, general);
  • I was leading a freelance curatorial project targeting art students seeking professional practice, mostly based in experiential learning/learning by doing, with a do-it-together spirit, creating exhibitions;
  • with this project was also a guest professor/lecturer/organizer of a course at the university (although, unofficially because I was not a PhD, however was doing the whole work with a colleague, backed with two professors);
  • and took an online course "Global education: the intercultural dimension".

Apart from that, for the past a couple of years, I have been a part of several projects in the Mediterranean region, which partially inspired my quest for studies targeting the diversity of cultures.

For now, I'm looking closely at USFCA's International and Multicultural Education (IME, a very nice mix of topics with good resources for practice), but surely am open for any useful tips.

Thanks!!!
:D

• 2 years later...

I don't see your specific research interest listed in your old post. That will be important to identify in order to find the right place(s) to apply.

On 4/25/2018 at 3:28 AM, t_ruth said:

I don't see your specific research interest listed in your old post. That will be important to identify in order to find the right place(s) to apply.

Totally get it. For now, PhD is off the list because it seems I'm still not ready for it. To dedicate myself to study and research smth for years, I really need to have a burning issue/research problem to start with.

At this moment, an MA seems as a more practical option. I'm eyeing on Arts in Education at Harvard. Do you have any suggestions?

12 hours ago, tunic_youth said:

Totally get it. For now, PhD is off the list because it seems I'm still not ready for it. To dedicate myself to study and research smth for years, I really need to have a burning issue/research problem to start with.

At this moment, an MA seems as a more practical option. I'm eyeing on Arts in Education at Harvard. Do you have any suggestions?

An MA can be a good place to learn about a field, but there are other ways to do this without spending money--teach for a while, work as a lab manager or in a research position, or just read on your own. If money is no object, might as well do the MA though :)