Phone Meetings with Professors

peffy1962

Hi everyone,

I know this probably overlaps with the thread on e-mailing professors, but I wanted to get some advice. I was planning on reaching out to various professors via e-mail with a note that basically covers stuff like, "this is me, these are my research interests, I enjoyed your work on X topic and am applying to your school for next fall, is your research continuing along these lines and are you currently accepting new students?"

After I'd crafted a draft of these e-mails, I met with one of my undergraduate professors who suggested that instead of posing questions at the end of the e-mail, I should request to speak with them on the phone. I feel like I'm a better writer than speaker, so I'm a bit hesitant to do this, though I know that I will likely leave more of an impression on the professors if I speak with them on the phone. That being said, I think I am going to go ahead and request phone appointments (unless anyone thinks I can get away with the strictly e-mail approach! ;)).

Before I do that, however, I want to make sure that I have a general idea of how these types of calls typically go. I assume I should have some questions prepared to ask about their research and the program itself, but how many should I have ready? How long do these calls generally last? Is it better to have more questions about their research, or about the program itself? Do I talk about my background at all, or should I really aim to make it more about them? And is there any room for casual conversation, or should I jump right into the formal stuff?

I think that about covers my questions -- any insight or advice would be great!

Are you going to request phone appointments via email?

I'd start by thanking them for taking the time to speak with you. In general, I'd be sure that you're concentrating on questions about their research and not on topics that are better suited for the graduate coordinator -- you don't want to waste their time. Time limit -- it'll depend on how many questions you have and how verbose they are, but I'd say no longer than half an hour.

This is just my opinion, but I'd wait to talk about me until they asked. Other people might be a bit more forward though. :) Good luck!

I had the same reservations as you, I'm much more shy in real time than I am when writing an email, so I was really nervous about speaking to professors on the phone. I bit the bullet though and am really glad I did, since I think I was much more memorable on the phone than via email. I had some great conversations and some OK conversations, totally depending on the professor and how much they were willing to engage.

I've found that a great conversation-starter is to ask them what they're currently working on and sort of go from there. Ask questions about their research and try to introduce what you're doing. They should have some recollection if you also mentioned it in your introductory email. Use the opportunity to ask any questions you have about the department, what they like about it, etc. After a few minutes you'll loosen up and the conversation just flows. I spent 45 minutes talking with one professor, and only 15 with another. Just depends how well you hit it off, and how much they have to say to you, etc. In lieu of actually going to meet the professors in person, which helps them connect a face to the name/email, I think phone convos are really beneficial. Better to connect at least a voice and personality to the email than nothing at all!

That being said, I think I am going to go ahead and request phone appointments (unless anyone thinks I can get away with the strictly e-mail approach! ;)).

I did everything via email. I think in two rounds of applying, only two professors ever requested phone appointments prior to getting accepted. Actually, it might have only been one. So yes, you can get away with doing things strictly via email. If the prof would rather talk on the phone, s/he will say that in a reply.