Late LORs..

aichan93

So, I applied to 8 schools and 3 of my schools had dec 1 deadlines and my final LOR is still not sent out. I'm stressed. 2 of the schools told me as long as the letter gets to them asap it should be ok. I'm worried my app will get thrown out the window..

Help,

a worried PhD applicant. 

I'm having a similar problem.  I contacted my late recommender and she told me that the deadline is just for my part of the application; they allow a little more time for the LOR to arrive.  So, as long as you have been in touch with your recommenders and they plan on submitting soon, I wouldn't worry about it.    

5 hours ago, Tinieblas. said:

I'm having a similar problem.  I contacted my late recommender and she told me that the deadline is just for my part of the application; they allow a little more time for the LOR to arrive.  So, as long as you have been in touch with your recommenders and they plan on submitting soon, I wouldn't worry about it.    

I'm beginning to suspect that my late recommender has the same thinking as yours.

Whether or not the deadline for them is the same as yours depends on the institution. Several that I applied to required all documents submitted by that deadline. This includes LORs! However, a few others wouldn't even send emails with the required links to your recommenders until you submitted your application, so they get a few more days. Unless you know that it's the second case, I think it is fair to worry. I think you should make sure your recommender is correct about this.

17 hours ago, MathCat said:

Whether or not the deadline for them is the same as yours depends on the institution. Several that I applied to required all documents submitted by that deadline. This includes LORs! However, a few others wouldn't even send emails with the required links to your recommenders until you submitted your application, so they get a few more days. Unless you know that it's the second case, I think it is fair to worry. I think you should make sure your recommender is correct about this.

That's true, MathCat.  I noticed one program that specifically said that LOR had to be submitted by the deadline.  However, for the ones that don't specify, I'm inclined to think that there's a grace period.  There's a discussion about it here: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/48759-lor-writer-missed-a-deadline-will-a-school-still-look-at-my-application/  I'm still in the process of applying, though.  I wonder if anyone that has been accepted with late LOR could shed more light...?

With Dec 1 deadlines I'd say a week is probably the extent of the grace period, especially if they interview and need to send invites soon. Some of my schools specifically said that materials should be in by the deadline since they start reviewing applications soon after. Whether or not late recommendations get your app thrown out or just reviewed late is still to be determined. However, obviously if it's too late and invites have already been sent out, then they're pretty much the same.

6 hours ago, Tinieblas. said:

That's true, MathCat.  I noticed one program that specifically said that LOR had to be submitted by the deadline.  However, for the ones that don't specify, I'm inclined to think that there's a grace period.  There's a discussion about it here: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/48759-lor-writer-missed-a-deadline-will-a-school-still-look-at-my-application/  I'm still in the process of applying, though.  I wonder if anyone that has been accepted with late LOR could shed more light...?

If there is nothing on the website that clearly states there is a grace period then it is best to contact the school and find out rather than just assume there is.  Then share the schools response with your letter writer and hopefully that will expedite things on their end.  

I got a reply from 2 out of 3 of the schools I contacted and they said it shouldn't be a problem if it is submitted ASAP. The 3 schools are The Scripps, Mt Sinai, and Rockefeller. Rockefeller doesn't interview so I'm not that worried. My missing recommender said if I was a good candidate it wouldn't keep me out, but he's working on it. Sigh, issues with asking a popular recommender...