Diversity statement for Yale?

abed

I feel like there's an obvious answer to this question that I'm missing, but I can't seem to find it so I thought I would turn to the good people of gradcafe for help. Yale's Poli Sci department website states "Please note that ALL applicants for the Ph.D. in Political Science are required to submit GRE General Exam test scores, a writing sample, a personal statement, transcripts, and 3 letters of recommendation", but the online application portal also has a section where you can upload a diversity statement. Should I go ahead and upload a diversity statement (I have written this for other schools so adapting it for Yale wouldn't take too much time), or does the department's lack of request for it mean that it's irrelevant/wouldn't be read/would be frowned upon? Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Although an unnecessarily third agreement, I have stated elsewhere that I usually interpret "optional essay" as a common sense "should do it" extra. If they don't read it, no problem. If they do, it's a bonus insight into what makes you unique. Also, if you've already written a version, that makes it a no-brainer. 

3 hours ago, c_j_l said:

I disagree with the answers above that were given with no qualification.

Do not submit a diversity statement unless you actually add diversity. If you're a middle class white male, they'll think you are a total 'you-know-what' and quite shameless. Not cool.

I agree. I'm a straight, middle-class, white woman applying to Yale, and I did not submit one. Oftentimes, I think, when there are optional statements such as this, it's more the graduate school itself asking for it, not necessarily the department. If the department makes no mention of it - and they don't - then I don't think they place much importance on it.

That being said, if you already have one written - and have something compelling to say - then you should submit one, by all means. 

6 hours ago, c_j_l said:

Do not submit a diversity statement unless you actually add diversity. If you're a middle class white male, they'll think you are a total 'you-know-what' and quite shameless. Not cool.

Well, I'm pretty sure middle class white males can add to the diversity of a department too! In fact, I suppose I could be qualified as a middle class white male and part of the funding that I got in my Master's program was because of diversity considerations.

7 hours ago, c_j_l said:

As a middle-class white male with not much in the way of struggle or an interesting life story, I chose not to submit one either for programs (unless it was required as part of a personal history) because I didn't feel I needed that extra stipend money as much as somebody else might need it. However, that doesn't mean that middle class white males who write those statements are shameless. Diversity doesn't just encompass race or gender - it encompasses life experience as well.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I'm glad I posted, this has been really helpful. The reason I was feeling iffy was because the department website didn't say that the diversity statement was optional -- well, it didn't say anything about the diversity statement at all. But I'm heartened by the responses that if there is space for it in the online application, it can't hurt to include it, especially since I've already prepared one for another school.

I'm an immigrant and a racial minority, which ties directly into my research interests in political science. I'm focusing on that and how it has shaped my research agenda and pedagogy as a teaching assistant, as well as how my background has encouraged my involvement in community organizing efforts that have sparked my interest in social sciences in other ways.