Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) Fall 2016 Applicants

asurachm

Just received an email from UW-Madison notifying that I am admitted to their HDFS program. Visit day will be February 26th. I was rejected to the program two years ago for MS/PhD admission. So yes, I am ecstatic! :D

@AMStudent i think the fit om my research interests is really help :) 

When I submitted my applications, Penn State was my first choice (it is in the top rank of HDFS program). Now, I am open to any possibility I think. Hopefully visitation to the programs will give me better pictures and better considerations on deciding my final choice.

What about you, what's your top choice? 

You know, @asurachm I don't really have a first choice. Like you, I really followed common research interests/made sure I connected with each of the professors before applying. Most of the schools I applied to typically don't get back to students until Feb/March which is frustrating, but I like all of the professors I applied to so much that honestly I'd be thrilled to go to any of these places. I live in Seattle, so I really want the opportunity to move, other than that, I'd just like a couple of choices, if you know what I mean. :) 

@AMStudent I live in Indiana now and I would love to move to Seattle,haha I wish UW Seattle offers a program in HDFS! :D

In case you get multiple offers, what will be your main considerations for your final school choice?  

19 hours ago, asurachm said:

@AMStudent I live in Indiana now and I would love to move to Seattle,haha I wish UW Seattle offers a program in HDFS! :D

In case you get multiple offers, what will be your main considerations for your final school choice?  

@asurachm Well I think I have the most perfect fit for two schools research wise. I think that will be what motivates me most, how much our research interests align. Hypothetically, if I don't get in to those schools, then I'd really like to move to the Midwest or East Coast, just for a change, (Rutgers, NYU, Boston College, UW-Milwaukee). Another thing I'm considering is how much warmth and encouragement I've felt before I applied from my POIs. SO many important factors to consider. If I only get into one program, then that's where I'm going, ya know? I've got a lot of self doubt right now, so it's so hard to allow myself to get my heart set on any one school, if that makes sense. 

I just woke up and received an acceptance email from Penn State \m/ 

Further information regarding funding and visit day will be informed through phone call later.  

Congratulations!!! My phone call was not an interview but an offer, I got all the funding deets, so I'm positive you won't be disappointed!!! I can't make the visit weekend, but I will hopefully visit when a couple other students can visit (who also can't make the original visit weekend). Let me know if you are going to visit, who your POI is, and all that jazz! We may go to school together! 

• 4 weeks later...

@asurachm

I only got an admission w/o funding from HDFS at Iowa State University.

You mentioned that PSU is the best among HDFS'.

I wonder how you perceive ISU?

One of my professors who graduated from ISU said it was a great place to study.

But, I have not had any idea about the rank of HDFS' so far besides that PSU may be the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @billychen6, I am sorry for a late reply. I would like to congratulate you for getting an offer from the program :D 

I gave my two cents in the thread that you created about HDFS at ISU :D But I will just give my opinions again here. First of all, some of my professor when I was in Indonesia went to ISU for their grad study and they said they were having a great time there. I also met one other faculty member from Malaysia that just graduated from their PhD program few years back and he mentioned positive opinions about the program. Lastly, in the last NCFR conference, I met one current student from China and she said really enjoying the program. So I think they have a good international population and also good international reputation.

Regarding the funding, I think you have to ask the program directly about that. But the current student that I met mentioned she always secure funding from the program so far. The program also one of the sponsor in the last NCFR conference which could be an indication that they have a good amount of financial resources. They also have a yearly lecture series program where they invite speaker from various backgrounds to talk about different issues related with family and human development. The last thing that I notice is that they have several new, young, and fresh faculty members in the program. That could be positive and negative. But I would love to have a young faculty members in my committee members as they are mostly cool and more open about new idea (IMO).

Program reputation is indeed important. But then again you have to also consider the fit of your research interests and how the program and the faculty members there could support and facilitate you to develop your interests and ability. Then the last thing I would say is about the location. I heard Ames is great, always on the list of America's best college town. Although you might already heard that it is kind of isolated location, but Chicago is 5.5 hours drive and Kansas City is 3.5 hours drive. And it is good as you won't get a lot of distractions while you need to study :P

Have you received any other offers beside ISU?