Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) Fall 2016 Applicants

asurachm

@east-coast-girl I know... right?

Although, I checked postings of result from the last two years of penn state's HDFS and I found the same pattern. One early acceptance around the middle of December and more acceptance in the middle of January - February. If they still have the same admission mechanism, I think more decisions will be handed out in January until February. 

Where else are you applying for HDFS if you don't mind sharing?   

4 hours ago, asurachm said:

@east-coast-girl I know... right?

Although, I checked postings of result from the last two years of penn state's HDFS and I found the same pattern. One early acceptance around the middle of December and more acceptance in the middle of January - February. If they still have the same admission mechanism, I think more decisions will be handed out in January until February. 

Where else are you applying for HDFS if you don't mind sharing?   

I looked into the previous years too, which made me feel a little better (but I'm still casually freaking out now).

Penn State is actually the only HDFS program I applied to.  I also applied to Wisconsin-Madison (Developmental Psych), Vanderbilt (Quant Psych), and UNC-Chapel Hill (Quant Psych).  

On 12/16/2015 at 3:08 PM, asurachm said:

Just did an interview with my POI from UW-Madison. She said the official results will be handed sometimes in the middle of January. 

I applied to UW-Madison, and I am freaking out that I haven't heard from them yet... Did you apply for Ph.D? 

Hi @kdfnueNF,

Yes, I applied for the PhD program. The POI that I mention on my SOP and the supplemental material contacted me for an interview earlier this week. I think she mentioned during the interview that new students admitted to the program will be directly assigned to a faculty member that they mention in their applications (i.e. in line research interest). So I think it depends on the faculty members whether or not doing interview with their prospective students. If they also do interview, I think the timing will be vary. I hope you'll hear something from them soon :) 

Did you also apply to other HDFS programs?       

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I applied to Penn State's HDFS too, some social psych programs, and some social work programs. (there's not a lot of people doing the research I'm into, I had to be broad--also indecisive too ;) )

Where did we see someone post that they already got accepted into Penn State HDFS? I'm new to this so I'm looking for it @Analyticchic or @east-coast-girl

Fall 2016

Applied (7/7): Penn State (HDFS), USC (MSW/PhD), UW (Social Psych), UCSC (Social Psych), Rutgers (MSW/PhD), Boston College (MSW/PhD), University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (MSW/PhD).

Interviews (1/7): Penn State (HDFS) on 12/15. (to be honest, I don't feel like it went well)

and nothing else so far.

On December 17, 2015 at 0:34 PM, east-coast-girl said:

I applied to Penn State's HDFS program and I cannot believe someone has already received an acceptance. It's blowing my mind; I feel like it's so early. 

Edited by AMStudent

21 minutes ago, AMStudent said:

Hi Everyone,

I applied to Penn State's HDFS too, some social psych programs, and some social work programs. (there's not a lot of people doing the research I'm into, I had to be broad--also indecisive too ;) )

Where did we see someone post that they already got accepted into Penn State HDFS? I'm new to this so I'm looking for it @Analyticchic or @east-coast-girl

Fall 2016

Applied (7/7): Penn State (HDFS), USC (MSW/PhD), UW (Social Psych), UCSC (Social Psych), Rutgers (MSW/PhD), Boston College (MSW/PhD), University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (MSW/PhD).

Interviews (1/7): Penn State (HDFS) on 12/15. (to be honest, I don't feel like it went well)

and nothing else so far.

I did hear about Penn State HDFS program and someone already getting accepted. I actually didn't apply to that program though but will apply to one of their education programs. I'm applying to University of Delaware's HDFS. I'm sure your interview went well! Stay positive! :)

I just got an acceptance notification from Oregon State University (HDFS) today with full funding guarantee. They will have recruitment event at the end of February.

I think I can sleep tight now in the night, knowing that I have a guarantee to go to school again next fall :D

Edited by asurachm
spell ckecked

On January 13, 2016 at 8:50 PM, asurachm said:

I just got an acceptance notification from Oregon State University (HDFS) today with full funding guarantee. They will have recruitment event at the end of February.

I think I can sleep tight now in the night, knowing that I have a guarantee to go to school again next fall :D

Congratulations! 

Received an email from an admission committee (also POI) from Penn State for a Skype interview tomorrow. I'll have two interviews tomorrow (another one with VT), hope I won't mess these up by mentioning the wrong school name or POI :P

Hi @AMStudent, I think the admission committee from Penn State tried to clarify what my research interests are and see if those fit the interests of faculty members in the program. He mentioned that the new students will be directly be prepared to work at certain lab on certain research project. They are going to recruit 10 to 15 new cohort of students this year if I am not mistaken. They will have a reception event next month for new accepted students. Based on the result posts from previous years, they might send the decision within this week and next week. Have you heard anything from them?

For the VT, I was surprised that there were three faculty members interviewing me! Similarly, they asked my research interests. For most of the time, they explain about their program and the university in general. I was so embarrassed as I lost my internet connection in the middle of the interview!hahaha They will update with the decision next week.

So, finger crossed I guess.. :|   

Edited by asurachm