Fall 2016 CANADIAN clinical psych applicants

Generic_Applicant

For people applying to UTSC, I emailed some profs today and was told that the interview processes have been completed. If you didn't attend the UTSC group interview, it means you aren't on the short list. They haven't sent out mass official rejections yet.

For all applying to Windsor, they have completed their first round of interviews. They've sent out their first round of letters of offer. They usually don't conduct a second round of interviews. They don't send out official rejections until all of their spaces have been filled. So if you didn't get an interview, you're likely rejected.

To those who have applied to Manitoba, interviews were completed this week. If you didn't have an interview, you likely are rejected as they have started to send out offers of admission, but haven't sent out their rejection letters yet.

For those waiting to hear from Dalhousie, some faculty members have completed their interviews and sent out offers, but many are waiting on those students to accept/decline the offer. As such, rejections haven't really been made yet as the profs will go back to the application pool if they need more spaces filled or the students the professors gave offers to decline them.

For those waiting to hear from Concordia, the faculty members are currently still going through the applications and starting to send out interview invites/some have sent them out already. The final admission decisions will come out in early-mid March, and people will be notified by April.

12 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

do you have anything on Ryerson? :)

No, not really! I emailed my POIs- the ones that have gotten back to me have said they've sent in their recommendations and done their short lists already, but no general info on whether all the profs had already completed interviews, etc. 

For Ryerson applicants, it appears that all the professors have finished interviewing students. Recommendations are in, and offers are going out. However, professors who did not get a spot in the first round also submitted recommendations in case students decline offers from other professors. 

12 minutes ago, clinicalapplicant said:

For Ryerson applicants, it appears that all the professors have finished interviewing students. Recommendations are in, and offers are going out. However, professors who did not get a spot in the first round also submitted recommendations in case students decline offers from other professors. 

Thanks! Are POIs sending out recommendations?

1 hour ago, Recoverygurl said:

Any news on Lakehead anyone?

The profs aren't directly involved in the application process (they don't do interviews apparently), but they're still choosing applicants apparently- from what I heard they don't  seem to have sent out any notices yet.

13 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

Have they already done interviews? 

Not sure! I haven't heard anything about them having started, but I would guess that it's likely that some profs have probably done some, or have started to invite people.

Hi folks! 

I need advice! Can anyone give me some pros and cons to these 2 programs?: 

The University of Windsor Child Clinical Track 

OISE Counselling and Clinical Psychology 

I have my own pros and cons but don't want to list them because I want some fresh ideas for you guys :) I'm just confused about OISE's program because I'm not sure how much of an emphasis is put on the counselling aspect and therefore compensating for the clinical work and training. I'm also concerned about how limiting the child stream is at Windsor and if this will restrict any future work with adolescents or adults? 

Please - any thoughts are much appreciated!! I'm not sure how else I can ask for their opinion! 

Thanks :D Congratulations to all who have heard back and goodluck to those still waiting! 

36 minutes ago, Generic_Applicant said:

Got official rejection from Ryerson (from POI). Second time interviewing with him. Honestly dont know what works in this process.. so disheartened... 

I'm really sorry to hear this as well. :( Hang in there...

Hi guys! Congrats to everyone getting acceptances. I was wondering if anyone knows how the process at Ryerson works for profs who were not allowed to take an initial student. I was informed by the program coordinator that I was a prof's top choice but that prof wasn't allowed to take a student in the first round. 

So how does this work now? If a student who was made an offer for a lab and declines it, will that lab get to go to their second choice applicant? Or will another prof who initially wasn't allowed to make an offer now get to make one?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

2 hours ago, asa.pearl said:

Hi guys! Congrats to everyone getting acceptances. I was wondering if anyone knows how the process at Ryerson works for profs who were not allowed to take an initial student. I was informed by the program coordinator that I was a prof's top choice but that prof wasn't allowed to take a student in the first round. 

So how does this work now? If a student who was made an offer for a lab and declines it, will that lab get to go to their second choice applicant? Or will another prof who initially wasn't allowed to make an offer now get to make one?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

From my understanding about Ryerson, if a person rejects an offer from a professor, that professor goes to the bottom of the list and waits for their turn again. They generally do not get to offer a spot to their second choice immediately after their first choice chooses to reject. 

Edited by clinicalapplicant

Just now, clinicalapplicant said:

From my understanding about Ryerson, if a person rejects an offer from a professor, that professor goes to the bottom of the list and waits for their turn again. They generally do not get to offer a spot to their second choice immediately after their first choice chooses to reject. 

THANK YOU!

Just now, asa.pearl said:

THANK YOU!

You're welcome! Depending on where your POI is on the list of professors waiting for a student, you may be the first person to be accepted if anyone rejects an offer! 

Edited by clinicalapplicant