Are all LOR's supposed to be submitted before the deadline? Please help

LitMwalz

Hello everyone, This is my first post and unfortunately enough I just discovered this group now. Everything else concerning my application is ready but my recommendation letters and the deadline I believe is in two days. Does anyone know if the recommendation letters can be handed in after an application? and if so how much time would be allowed to hand them in? Can I still submit my application?

Thank you

I think that really depends on individual programs. Most programs seem to have grace periods for late letters. One of my professor submitted my recommendation almost a month after the deadline, but he told me that he had talked to some people in the admission committee in that university and found out that the committee still hadn't met to review any applications until his letter was submitted. But some of the other universities I've applied to explicitly stated in their website that late recommendations will not be accepted. I'd contact the university individually and try to find out whether they'd accept late recommendations.

You can still submit your application.  My understanding is that as long as your application is in on time you're okay.  For 3 programs I applied to, 2 of my letters were submitted 3-6 days late.  One PI emailed me suggesting I follow up with my writers.  The other departments didn't seem to care.  So far, I've been invited to interview with one of those programs, so I can at least say my late letters did not disqualify my application.

• 2 weeks later...

You're gonna be fine, just get the application submitted. For most programs, that's all you need to get your foot in the door, and then the rest can be accepted within a reasonable time frame (I'd try not to push it beyond a week though). But, I've also seen people post that their application was not even up for consideration due to just one LoR being a day late, so I'd do everything you can to get the letters in before deadline. Don't by shy about sending your letter writers multiple reminders.