Hard Decision

stormtrooper

I'm an international student for EU and US/CA. Currently attending University of Toronto (M.Sc. of computer science). I've received good news from the University of Oxford (computer science) for my PhD. Now I am wondering which way is better:

1. Stay in Canada and do a PhD here

• Pros: I can get Canadian Citizenship after graduation && I'll have a North American PhD which I've heard is kinda better than UK's && No racism felt here
  • Cons: UofT QS-rank is 20 in CS && It's god damn cold here

2.  Go for the U of Oxford

• Pros: Global reputation (QS rank in CS: 3rd) && I like cloudy weather  
  • Cons: A UK PhD or a US PhD?!! && It will take 5 years to get permanent resident card && British racism 

I have also applied for "MIT", "Cambridge" and "ETH Zurich" but not received anything yet. 

Thanks

Umm could you clarify what you mean by British racism? 

Nowhere in your post do you mention about the living costs, programme costs, programme content, anything like that. The UK programmes are still very highly regarded and it will depend where you are planning on building your career as to which is more appropriate for you. 

2 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

Umm could you clarify what you mean by British racism? 

Nowhere in your post do you mention about the living costs, programme costs, programme content, anything like that. The UK programmes are still very highly regarded and it will depend where you are planning on building your career as to which is more appropriate for you. 

No offence, but I just have seen(on internet) or heard bad things about the way British people treat foreigners. I've never been there.

As for the living cost or program cost: it's not my first concern; Fortunately, I was lucky enough to get scholarships both from Toronto/Oxford and my home country support program. I have no preference between starting my post graduation career in EU or US/CA and I think that's making me confused here. However EU is closer to my home country/family while I think the opportunities in EU are much less than US/CA.

Thanks

Okay so I'd say you're way off base with your perception of the UK. Of course there are some racist people, just like any other country in the world, but the vast majority are not. Especially in the institutions you originally listed, they are more than used to international students and there's very little institutional racism (of course again I can't speak for individuals, but many of my friends graduated from both Oxford and Cambridge, of a variety of ethnicities and nationalities, and had no issues. Partly this is to do with your own attitude too.)

With regards to living cost, you are fortunate that program costs are not a concern, but I know both Oxford and Cambridge aren't the cheapest places to live. Having lived abroad (US, Australia, Canada, other european countries, and Thailand) I am conscious that the UK (especially Oxford and Cambridge) is expensive. Just wanted to raise that for others who might be reading this thread.

I myself have a UK masters degree and will (hopefully) be attending the US for my PhD. This is personal preference for a whole host of reasons, but not because the UK PhD is of any less worth than that in the US. At the end of the day, your choice is your own and it will be based on a variety of factors. I just wanted to clear the air on some of your misconceptions of the UK.

5 hours ago, stormtrooper said:

No offence, but I just have seen(on internet) or heard bad things about the way British people treat foreigners. I've never been there.

Hmmmm I read the news and talk to people more well traveled than I on a daily basis and you know what I read and hear?  Bad things about the way people in every single country that exists (including my own!) treats foreigners.  You know what else I hear?  How wonderful and welcoming people (including me!) in those same countries are.  If I let the bad things stop me then I'll never accomplish my dream of seeing the whole world.  When traveling I expect I can do exactly what I do in my home country.....seek out those who are welcoming and kind and make me a better and more informed person.