Acting MFAs 2016- Who else is applying?

seizing

I see next to nothing in regards to forum posts talking about the process of applying for MFA in Acting programs. Let's have a thread to talk about the goods, the bads, and the challenges of applying this current year!

I am currently applying to 3 programs specifically and also going to URTAs in San Francisco this year. My current top three are NIU, Penn State, and UMKC (in no particular order). Hopefully some schools at URTA like me too! Definitely a cool process as it is currently. I am sure it will become a mountain of stress as transcripts start to get sent out.

So how is your process going? Good, bad, etc? 

Hi Seizing. I am just noticing the tension of all this coming up. It's not bad. Just, THERE, you know? I am on the west coast, too, but I am doing the New York URTA weekend. I can't say I have a top three right now. I enjoyed visiting UCI the most. CalArts the least. I am really digging the faculty at South Carolina as they seem to be deep into what I want to be better at. It is a really educational process when I remind myself not to start the magical thinking machine. So far my favorite part of the process has been the support of my friends who have gone through this before. They have mostly been really generous with time, rec. letters and support. So when I get the anxiety I try to remind myself I got people I respect rooting for me. So, I will just start my part of this thread off with the hope we all find our light, be our best selves and fake it like hell if we have to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! This is gonna be my second year applying for an MFA in Acting! Last year I had callbacks from CalArts and East 15(UK). Ended up getting an admit from E15 but didn't take it up cos it was proving to be very expensive and I'd just moved from another country to the US. I think I'm better prepared for auditions this year. Didn't get to visit any schools except NYFA (which is the only film school I'm applying to) I'm planning to attend URTA next month in Chicago and SETC in March!

The application process went quite smoothly! Is anyone else here auditioning in Chicago?

I was just wondering - are there any groups on Facebook where 2016 MFA Applicants interact with each other? I wish there was!

Hey Priyonder! I hope you do great. I have not seen anything but their regular one. But I will keep a look out. I have CalArts out here in LA this weekend.  Should be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad you enjoyed visiting UCI, TicTac! :-) I am currently finishing their undergrad program in Drama, it really is a nice place to be. High hopes for you! And I hope you broke legs at CalArts this weekend!

Priyonder, I haven't seen any facebook groups specifically tailored to MFA applicants, though I try to follow the pages that represent the school's grad programs. It keeps me informed about what they are doing, what is currently happening, and just excites me about the process. You could browse Instagram as well and find some programs on there. USC's School of Dramatic Arts constantly posts there. 

I had my audition for Penn State in LA two weeks ago! I felt really good about it since I was prepared for the questions that they were bound to ask, as well as the audition itself. It was the second time my degree worked for me, as the guy that I was auditioning for said that he knew one of the professors at my school. It feels good to know that the places I have auditioned thus far know the program and also some of the people in it. Recently got an email saying I didn't get a callback from Penn, so I got a confirmation at least. Now I just need to wait two weeks for URTAs and then I am in the clear. 

Edited by seizing

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2016 at 10:16 AM, Priyonder said:

Hi guys! Do any of you know about the MFA program at Purdue? I met the faculty at the URTA callbacks and thought it might be a great program for me!

It is an excellent program! Hope it works out for you.

Haven't heard anything yet! Expecting at least one of them in April, as they told me that would happen. Also applied for Teach for America as a backup, so the wait stress is real. 

I looked at old posts here saying that some people got their letters pretty late in the game, for what that is. 

I applied to UNC and USD. For URTA schools (UNC for me) they can't require a response to an offer before March 13 this year (this Sunday). It's almost certain that offers are out at this point, but things will probably change after this weekend as people accept offers (and turn down others). For non- URTA schools, they can set their own schedule for these things, so who knows. For USD I've heard "mid-March" for acceptances but idk what that means. 

At this point I assume I'm hoping I'm high on the wait list and the person that is my type that they've offered decides to go elsewhere.

Huh I didn't know that about URTA schools (I auditioned for UNC separately). Thanks for the info! I posted on Audition Update about Playmakers and someone said they emailed Ray and he let them know all offers were out an accepted. But, you never know with things you hear through the grapevine. I think my ship has probably sailed this year, but best of luck to all of you! And congratulations to us all for making it through this process. Woof. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I have been waiting for the responses from UNC and UNCG.

I emailed them both. No reponse yet from UNCG. However, Dooley did respond with an ambiguous "We wish you every good thing". So I am pretty sure they probably have their class composed.

I also auditioned at the UNC location.

Hi @TheWaitIsReal !

I've been waiting on  UNC as well, but I'm assuming their class is finalized at this point. I did email Ray a couple weeks ago and pretty much got a 'stay tuned' answer so I've been debating shooting him another email. Did he say the class was finalized? If so, I probably won't bother. They're all so nice though. 

Immw,

I am not entirely sure, like I said it sounded rather ambiguous. The email was sent last Tuesday. The response "We wish you every good thing" to me sounds more like they have already decided who they wanted. But maybe I could be wrong?

They are very nice people! At the audition they were awesome.

I am in the same boat... I wanna send another email, however, I also don't wanna be annoying! 

Hmm, I'm surprised he didn't give you more info than that. Seems like if the class was finalized they would be giving out firm 'no's' to people but who knows. This whole process is slightly mystifying to me. But anyways, good luck! Let us know if you hear anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

Heard back from NIU- rejection. I wasn't really expecting that.

Still haven't heard back from UMKC, but according to some internet sleuthing I know some offers are out. I sent an email to the academic advisor about if they have sent out all of their offers, but haven't gotten an email back. 

If this season isn't for me, I will probably be okay. I think I will take three years before applying for schools again. It would give me enough time to pay off loans and get some experience outside of school. I can also broaden my horizons for what programs to apply for- probably add on applications for Directing and Playwriting. 

Best of luck for the rest of you!