Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

2 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

I can tell 148/143 will never get into UW unless the applicant's parent is donating a library to the school. That should be a trolling post.

This is not being harsh, but I don't really believe an applicant shines elsewhere can score that low in GRE.

Wow. Just wow. 

16 minutes ago, applicant2016 said:

Wow. Just wow. 

I think that is the truth...like it or not. Goofylemon didnt set the rules, grad schs did. If u read the adcomm thread pinned at top of this forum, it tells u the same thing.  If GRE scores dun matter they cud hv spared us the time and money really. 

9 minutes ago, redhillgirl said:

I think that is the truth...like it or not. Goofylemon didnt set the rules, grad schs did. If u read the adcomm thread pinned at top of this forum, it tells u the same thing.  If GRE scores dun matter they cud hv spared us the time and money really. 

That doesn't make any sense... what "rules" are you referring to specifically? Last time I checked, there really aren't any rules to this game (unless you like, you know, have a rule book for graduate school admissions that states one ought not admit scores below a 160, etc. Lolz). And if GRE scores "dun matter," your GPA, publications, and/or work experience still does...  and if you should be spared any time/money prepping for the test (I'm assuming that is what you're referring to) that only proves the GRE are simply an extension/translation of a capital/worth. ;) 

Edited by s0ciology1992

38 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

I can tell 148/143 will never get into UW unless the applicant's parent is donating a library to the school. That should be a trolling post.

This is not being harsh, but I don't really believe an applicant shines elsewhere can score that low in GRE.

Edit:  A Math 143 is 18% percentile. A Verbal 148 is ~35% percentile. Both of the percentiles run far below the average. I know some sociology candidates score low on Math, which may be fine. However, low scores on both sections will never survive in any program with healthy reputation. The math is especially problematic, because UW is considered one of the most quantitative-leaned programs across the country.

I don't think this should sound sting or inconsiderable to anyone. So far no one in this thread run 18/35 on GRE, and claim to applying Soc PhD.  One should note out of fairness, a person with that kind of promise entering a highly-ranked program like UW is, in fact, truly devastating to many better-deserved applicants. 

Even some test takers are not good at standardized tests or multiple choice, the percentiles combined are still too significant as an evidence of ineligibility to be admitted to UW. Well, I think I may receive many downs for this answer, but this is just to be honest. 

http://ssc.wisc.edu/soc/grad/Admission%20advice.pdf

Read #5, page 2.  

8 minutes ago, s0ciology1992 said:

That doesn't make any sense... what "rules" are you referring to specifically? Last time I checked, there really aren't any rules to this game (unless you like, you know, have a rule book for graduate school admissions that states one ought not admit scores below a 160, etc. Lolz). And if GRE scores "dun matter," your GPA, publications, and/or work experience still does...  and if you should be spared any time/money prepping for the test (I'm assuming that is what you're referring to) that only proves the GRE are simply an extension/translation of a capital/worth. ;) 

No thats not what i mean at all. And seriously, everything is an extension of capital/worth. The smartest students dun always get the highest grades dun they?

The various sources (i cant quote here as im on mobile,  but like i said,  there are a few useful posts in this forum) that hv been posted on this website and elsewhere make us reasonably believe that GRE is used 1st as a cut-off/filter and 2nd is used to determined who gets some fellowships. Not saying it's everything. AT ALL. In fact if it was, goofy's 167/170 wud hv triumphed over my 166/155 n got into UW (and in fact any program) . But i wud agree with goofy that GRE scores matter to the extent that they are the only common indicator of candidates ability,  and yes, top programs like UW cares about GRE. 

Edited by redhillgirl

5 minutes ago, s0ciology1992 said:

Maybe, but it is not a "below 160". It is 18/35. We really need not to say GRE is that not important, although I will have no evidence to disagree with the saying that "GRE is not that important". 

5 minutes ago, DaisyGamble said:

@goofylemon and @nowayjose, it is also possible that person has a disability that impacts standardized tests but not research ability. We can't know. If we knew they didn't then I would tend to agree, but we don't. 

GRE has disability accommodations.  In that case, GRE will either provide supplements or extra time. Disability is not really a factor with that scores of GRE still being possible for UW.

4 minutes ago, XXXYYYZZZ said:

Yeah, below 50%. For BOTH sections? plus 18% for a quantitative program?

I bet you have taken GRE before and knew that math section does not actually require any college-level math.

143 may be barely acceptable in some qualitative programs like NU, but no, I bet it is never possible for UW. (does not matter Wisconsin or Washington).

Law schools also said LSAT+GPA are not the only factors, but that's just being polite. You may try to have a low LSAT and mediocre GPA and apply to YLS :) see if it is ever possible.

@XXXYYYZZZ With the Ether! (Nas reference for those unfamiliar). There are always reasons for not performing well on standardized tests. I am one of those people as well. I prepared extensively for the GRE and still did very mediocre. But the rest of my record will speak for itself. A 4 hour exam is not indicative of my ability as a sociologist. My entire academic record, ability to write (via personal statement and writing sample) and strong letters of rec will tell you MUCH MORE about my ability to succeed in a program than a 4 hour exam.

Now, I am not saying that those who do perform well on GRE's don't matter (obviously not true), but everything really does have to be treated on a case by case basis.

I'm sure everyone has seen, but Texas has been updating their website with decisions throughout the day.

Denied here. Which is a shame, as I'm from Oklahoma and it's easily my closest application.

The sticky thread indicates that ONE top-20 school has a graduate school-wide GRE cutoff at 300 combined scores; that doesn't mean that all of them do.

I don't know why somebody would post a result with precise stats and everything just to troll people. I'm inclined to believe that it's a real acceptance, and therefore, the person effectively convinced the adcom that they were a qualified candidate despite the low scores. There are a million ways that could have happened, none of us can even guess what kind of background the person has unless they post here to tell us. The process is mysterious and unpredictable, didn't we know that already? That result makes me a little less cynical about the process, honestly.

As someone with a disability, I gotta say even with accomodations the test was one of the most miserably tough experiences of my life - including childbirth. As a single-mom who could not afford test prep classes or materials other than free ones, I also think background, class, and culture can impact scores too. All of that was reflected on my scores.

Sooo, all that being said, I vote to agree to disagree :) and be happy for those who have done well. Wishing you all the best and lots of acceptances!

2 minutes ago, DaisyGamble said:

As someone with a disability, I gotta say even with accomodations the test was one of the most miserably tough experiences of my life - including childbirth. As a single-mom who could not afford test prep classes or materials other than free ones, I also think background, class, and culture can impact scores too. All of that was reflected on my scores.

Sooo, all that being said, I vote to agree to disagree :) and be happy for those who have done well. Wishing you all the best and lots of acceptances!

Thank you for sharing @DaisyGamble. I share many of those same characteristics. And yes the GRE was a miserable experience. I am happy for all of those who've gotten accepted, both with high and low GRE scores. CONGRATS!

10 minutes ago, goofylemon said:

Yeah, below 50%. For BOTH sections? plus 18% for a quantitative program?

I bet you have taken GRE before and knew that math section does not actually require any college-level math.

143 may be barely acceptable in some qualitative programs like NU, but no, I bet it is never possible for UW. (does not matter Wisconsin or Washington).

Law schools also said LSAT+GPA are not the only factors, but that's just being polite. You may try to have a low LSAT and mediocre GPA and apply to YLS :) see if it is ever possible.

you do recognize the source of this document and can differentiate PhD from JD, right?  Research ability can be sufficiently proven by other means.   

7 minutes ago, DaisyGamble said:

HOLD UP @DaisyGamble, you're not really trying to ask a group full of wanna-be sociologists to consider the intersection of class, race, culture, etc. on standardized test scores, are you? I think you're asking a little too much here. ;-)

Cheezburger awkward shocked prince yikes

3 minutes ago, mm3733 said:

HOLD UP @DaisyGamble, you're not really trying to ask a group full of wanna-be sociologists to consider the intersection of class, race, culture, etc. on standardized test scores, are you? I think you're asking a little too much here. ;-)

Cheezburger awkward shocked prince yikes

HAHA @mm3733  :lol:.... I know right lol

@ConsciousSteph and @mm3733, LOL!! ;)

@Katastrophe: VERY slow!! I was really hoping Berkeley would notify today :( I think we are all getting restless.

22 minutes ago, BoomSoon said:

I'm sure everyone has seen, but Texas has been updating their website with decisions throughout the day.

Denied here. Which is a shame, as I'm from Oklahoma and it's easily my closest application.

I'm sorry you didn't get in and hope you hear some good news soon!! *hugs*

1 hour ago, goofylemon said:

Edit:  A Math 143 is 18% percentile. A Verbal 148 is ~35% percentile. Both of the percentiles run far below the average. I know some sociology candidates score low on Math, which may be fine. However, low scores on both sections will never survive in any program with healthy reputation. The math is especially problematic, because UW is considered one of the most quantitative-leaned programs across the country.

I don't think this should sound sting or inconsiderable to anyone. So far no one in this thread run 18/35 on GRE, and claim to applying Soc PhD.  One should note out of fairness, a person with that kind of promise entering a highly-ranked program like UW is, in fact, truly devastating to many better-deserved applicants. 

Even some test takers are not good at standardized tests or multiple choice, the percentiles combined are still too significant as an evidence of ineligibility to be admitted to UW. Well, I think I may receive many downs for this answer, but this is just to be honest. 

Hey @goofylemon, for me, I think, the thing that probably makes this a bit unpopular is the reality that most folks with lower GRE scores (especially quant ones) are well aware this is a limitation in their application. So, as lovely as it is for you to point it out, it can really begin to rub people wrong when you make statements like:

"One should note out of fairness, a person with that kind of promise entering a highly-ranked program like UW is, in fact, truly devastating to many better-deserved applicants."

I find that pretty interesting. So, what we're saying here is, I don't think it's fair that someone would get in above me (or others like me) as we have higher GRE scores, which make us more deserving. You also equate GRE scores with promise.  Sure, in many cases they represent ability or 'potential ability.' But let's be honest, if an applicant makes it to a finalist round or acceptance at a school, you can pretty safely assume they have this "promise" you speak of.

Last time I checked, for example, journals didn't require GRE scores for article submissions and publications. Nor do great mentors require them before you begin to work on their projects, which is pretty common if you've come from an undergrad with RA positions, or been in a master's program.

All this to say is that for the most part, this forum has been pretty positive. I think it's fairly mean-spirited, assuming that's not the "troll" acceptance you think it is, to speak as if that person is less worthy of their acceptance than another person because of one portion of their application.