Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

Hi, all! 

The first sociology interview has been posted on the Results page, so I figured I'd kick off this thread. 

Post results here, should you feel inclined, and this can be general discussion on Acceptances/Rejections/interviews as well. 

So, anyone wanna claim that University of Virginia interview? 

Yes, it's getting quite real!  It's a bit sad ... I have a spreadsheet with a timeline of when I *might* hear back based on three years worth of data from the Results page ... and I put the timeline into my calendar ... I'm glad school will start back up soon so I'm doing other things! Luckily, I also talked with my thesis advisor about things to do now that the holidays are over, so I have that to concentrate on instead of focusing on the waiting game!

So stressed, watching the results board. Saw that a couple of the schools that I applied to didn't send out notifications until late February/ early March, last year!!!

Hitting the gym like a beast, for the sake of distraction. Can't wait for Spring term to start!

BTW, swiped your signature format, gingin. Love when members share full details, gives me a benchmark by which to measure my own candidacy. 

Edited by Shay825

1 minute ago, Shay825 said:

So stressed, watching the results board. Saw that a couple of the schools that I applied to didn't send out notifications until late February/ early March, last year!!!

Hitting the gym like a beast, for the sake of distraction. Can't wait for Spring term to start!

So much better than stress eating and drinking coffee. 

In terms of acceptances, interviews, and rejections, some folks on the results page have been saying their acceptance/interview/rejection emails have been going to Spam: So, make sure you check your spam folder, all! 

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

Yes, it's getting quite real!  It's a bit sad ... I have a spreadsheet with a timeline of when I *might* hear back based on three years worth of data from the Results page ... and I put the timeline into my calendar ... I'm glad school will start back up soon so I'm doing other things! Luckily, I also talked with my thesis advisor about things to do now that the holidays are over, so I have that to concentrate on instead of focusing on the waiting game!

Would you mind sharing the expected calendar/results schedule you figured out?

7 minutes ago, hazenyc said:

Would you mind sharing the expected calendar/results schedule you figured out?

Sure! I've attached mine to this post. Keep in mind this is based on data from the results page and isn't absolutely true/won't be representative. So, they are only estimates. But it gives me some semblance of an idea of the earliest dates when I *might* hear back (so, I used the earliest dates I from the Results page in my table)!

I've only made the timeline for the programs I've applied to, but you can do the same by searching on the results page (http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php). 

Type into the search bar "program_name (sociology)" (f or example, "emory (sociology)" ) to narrow your search. Then find the dates accordingly. 

In my table, "I" means "interview notification," "A" means "acceptance." The letters in parentheses after the dates correspond to the days of the week.

Also look back through past acceptances/rejections threads within the sociology forum for more specific posts.

Hope this is useful to you, and I hope folks don't find me too weird for making a spreadsheet for this haha.

ARTimeline.png

Edited by gingin6789
clarity

1 minute ago, hazenyc said:

@gingin6789 Ahh we actually have no overlap - I am applying to economic sociology & organizations programs .. I have the awful feeling now that I will be rejected from all 14 programs I applied to :( 

What do you mean by overlap, and why do you feel that you'll be rejected now? Which programs did you apply to? I'm a bit confused by your post. Whatever you do, don't panic until you've received official word. Easier said than done, I know!

In hindsight I should really spread out a little bit more...I'm only applying to eight of the top 20 programs and I always get the weird feeling that sth is off with my application and i'll be rejected by them all :(

but then may be not cos i'm international and a lower-ranked program really is a waste of time :(

arghhhhh pls end this torture soon

I've used gingin's template to track the colleges that I've applied to. Looks like I've got several more weeks of waiting before I can expect to hear anythig. Grr!

Did anyone else apply to these schools?

Program Acceptance Start Date Acceptance Via  Rejection Start Date Waves? 2015 2014 2013  
Harvard Acceptance: Early-Late February Phone/Email Late Feb-Early March No 7 ( R); 2 (A-PhD) 5 ( R); 1 (A-PhD) 9 ( R); 4 (A-PhD)  
Brown Acceptance: Mid-Late Feb; No Interviews E-Mail Mid-Late February No 10 ( R); 7 (A-PhD) 9 ( R); 4 (A) 16 ( R); 5 (A)  
UPenn Acceptance: Early February- Mid March E-Mail Late Feb-Mid March No 2 ( R); 1 (W); 1 (A) 5 ( R); 1 9W); 2 (A) 10 ( R); 8 (A)  
Boston U Acceptance: Mid-Late Feb; No Interviews E-Mail Mid-Late March No 5 ( R); 2 (W); 2 (A- PhD; Full Fund 5 Yrs) 6 ( R); 2 (W); 2 (A-PhD) 18 ( R); 4 (W)  
Boston College Acceptance: Mid-Late Feb; No Interviews Post/Email/Phone Late Feb-Early March No 5 ( R); 1 (W); 2 (A-PhD) 5 (W); 1 (A- M) 3 ( R); 1 (W); 3 (A-M); 4 (A-PhD)  
Northeastern Acceptance: Early February- Mid March E-Mail Late Feb-Mid March No 8 ( R); 2 (A) 3 ( R); 3 (A) 8 ( R); 4 (A)  
UMass Boston Rolling E-Mail Rolling N/A 1 (A) 1 ( R) N/A  

@redhillgirl, edit bc I misunderstood your post! I feel the same way!! I'm nervous I screwed up one little thing that'll ruin my chances, even though I rationally know I've done my very best! 

Keep in mind, too, that research/publication experience and/or teaching experience is important, too! Rank isn't absolutely everything. 

I'm not saying that to invalidate your feelings!  I'm saying it to reassure you. :-)

@shay aw yay! I'm so happy my little timeline was useful! Sorry to hear you might have a wait ahead of you though... Having another week or two to wait for me doesn't stop me from checking my email, results page, and forums though haha 

Edited by gingin6789

Hmm, I'm curious to know who got that UVA interview too! Just to make ya'll feel better, I made the cardinal mistake of writing the wrong university name (that too, a rival) in my SOP, d'oh.

Will keep ya'll posted on my decisions: 1) Michigan - Ann Arbor 2) Wisconsin - Madison 3) UC Berkeley 4) UT Austin 5) Johns Hopkins 6) Washington - Seattle 7) Minnesota - Twin Cities 8) Rice

I'm shooting for political and cultural sociology. Most of my decisions should be arriving in mid February. Apparently Minnesota notifies as early as Jan according to its website. All in all, it'll be a long wait.

Shamon, me too!! I'm soooo curious, especially since there was only one posting!! 

You've got a good list! Please do keep us posted! We'll be waiting together! 

That really sucks about your SOP... hopefully the adcomm realizes you're human and that mistakes like that happen! I'm sure they've seen it before! 

I only applied to two programs. I'm completely tired and I still have rec letters that need to be submitted for UMBC. I need three total; two of the three have confirmed that they will send recommendations and one already submitted a rec letter. Working on my master's thesis while trying not to freak out worrying about phd program acceptance. Grad school anxiety related to phd program acceptance should be in the dsm-5. Freaking - out.

Applications:

Brandeis University

University of Maryland Baltimore County

12 minutes ago, MyLife2016 said:

I only applied to two programs. I'm completely tired and I still have rec letters that need to be submitted for UMBC. I need three total; two of the three have confirmed that they will send recommendations and one already submitted a rec letter. Working on my master's thesis while trying not to freak out worrying about phd program acceptance. Grad school anxiety related to phd program acceptance should be in the dsm-5. Freaking - out.

Applications:

Brandeis University

Brandeis buddy!! Let's wait together!! *camps out in thread and makes us some tea*

That sucks about the LORs!! When is the deadline for umbc? 

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

Brandeis buddy!! Let's wait together!! *camps out in thread and makes us some tea*

That sucks about the LORs!! When is the deadline for umbc? 

We can totally wait it out together... I'll pour coffee.  My deadline is Jan 15th --  so I have time before I'm in the fetal position crying.

It may be admitting my insecurities about my own qualifications, but I'm so thrilled that none of the posters to this thread are my competition...so far. 

Meaning, you didn't apply to the same schools I did, not that you aren't all fantastic candidates. :)

Edited by Shay825

Thank you, shay! I will certainly keep that in mind! Are you going to ESS in March? It's in Boston this year :-)

I actually feel differently about other people here applying to the same programs as me ... I feel like if I miss something, someone else applying to the same program might catch it, and we can inform each other! :-) plus, I generally just like knowing we're going through the same thing! 

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

Thank you, shay! I will certainly keep that in mind! Are you going to ESS in March? It's in Boston this year :-)

I actually feel differently about other people here applying to the same programs as me ... I feel like if I miss something, someone else applying to the same program might catch it, and we can inform each other! :-) plus, I generally just like knowing we're going through the same thing! 

I didn't submit a paper for it, but I might attend. I'm planning a ski trip to Vermont around the same time as ESS, so not definite on my plans to attend until the dates for my trip are confirmed. Are you presenting?

17 hours ago, MyLife2016 said:

Applications:

Brandeis University

I got rejected by Brandeis last year, and the committee chair emailed me a followup personalized email that even though I was a very strong candidate bla bla bla, they were only accepting 2 or 3 people out of zillions of applicants.

My point being -- if you are really committed to doing a PhD next year, maybe throw in another application or two with a 1/15 (or later) deadline, to a school with bigger cohorts?

11 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

I got rejected by Brandeis last year, and the committee chair emailed me a followup personalized email that even though I was a very strong candidate bla bla bla, they were only accepting 2 or 3 people out of zillions of applicants.

My point being -- if you are really committed to doing a PhD next year, maybe throw in another application or two with a 1/15 (or later) deadline, to a school with bigger cohorts?

Yeah, applying only to two schools is a pretty brave (risky) move. Unless you are very confident you will get in, but it doesn't sound like you are.