Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

wooooww...conversation thread got locked by a senior mod because of ppl fighting. so dumb... meanwhile, acceptances have been posted from places I've applied and I've gotten neither a rejection or acceptance. purgatory. this is awful....................................................

22 minutes ago, KLPLANTER said:

wooooww...conversation thread got locked by a senior mod because of ppl fighting. so dumb... meanwhile, acceptances have been posted from places I've applied and I've gotten neither a rejection or acceptance. purgatory. this is awful....................................................

Yeah, I kindly asked the mod to lock the thread because the conversation was going downhill. I was part of the reason it was going downhill, for which I sincerely apologize. I got way too overbearing with tone policing, and I wasn't helping anything! 

I know how you feel ... I've seen interviews go up for Emory and Rutgers, so naturally the dreams of receiving acceptances/rejections have started back up again.

We'll see if any news arrives today! 

Congrats to everyone! Hopefully people continue to put up their stats in the results forum...I know a lot of people (myself included) find them very helpful.

I was hoping we'd see a little more movement today after the frustrating wait of the weekend. Ah well, hopefully it picks up later this week!

On 1/13/2016 at 0:32 AM, kameldinho said:
16 hours ago, Katastrophe said:

Congrats to everyone! Hopefully people continue to put up their stats in the results forum...I know a lot of people (myself included) find them very helpful.

I was hoping we'd see a little more movement today after the frustrating wait of the weekend. Ah well, hopefully it picks up later this week!

@Katastrophe What areas of research are you interested in? Recall your POIs for Harvard and UPenn? Congrats on Ohio and UMinn! :)

Edited by Shay825

I agree about wanting to hear some news... I saw the one Emory interview and the one Rutgers interview posted, and I've been pacing ever since. I just need to be patient. We're one day closer to knowing either way... 

Oh my goodness, another Emory interview on the Results page! Congrats to whomever it was! I'm getting so worked up at the prospect of possibly earning an interview or hearing back at all! 

1 hour ago, redhillgirl said:

I am thinking maybe we will hear frm WashU today or tmr?  Not my best fit but I desperately need some news :( im already travelling but cant seem to shake off the worries

Just in case you didn't know and you talk/email to folks at UW... annoying semantics, but WashU generally refers to Washington University in St. Louis, not University of Washington! :)  People can be kinda weird about that kind of stuff.

side note: I hadn't realized before searching for programs that WUSTL didn't even have a soc undergrad department for awhile and are only recently resurrecting it.

1 hour ago, mm3733 said:

Just in case you didn't know and you talk/email to folks at UW... annoying semantics, but WashU generally refers to Washington University in St. Louis, not University of Washington! :)  People can be kinda weird about that kind of stuff.

side note: I hadn't realized before searching for programs that WUSTL didn't even have a soc undergrad department for awhile and are only recently resurrecting it.

Thanks n you're right! I never use these abbr. in formal communications tho :)

Been monitoring the results board like crazy...anyone else applying to the schs listed below? Lets wait it out tgr...

1 hour ago, redhillgirl said:

Been monitoring the results board like crazy...anyone else applying to the schs listed below? Lets wait it out tgr...

I applied to northwestern. 

3 hours ago, mm3733 said:

Their program was sanctioned and dismantled after laud humphrey's seminal/unethical study published as "tearoom trade." It was a big moment in LGBQ studies; bad moment for research ethics. They have done a number of AP and advanced AP, and tenure-hires in the last two years, all from elites programs. Clearly relaunching and aiming for high-ranked grad dept. 

2 hours ago, KLPLANTER said:

Their program was sanctioned and dismantled after laud humphrey's seminal/unethical study published as "tearoom trade." It was a big moment in LGBQ studies; bad moment for research ethics. They have done a number of AP and advanced AP, and tenure-hires in the last two years, all from elites programs. Clearly relaunching and aiming for high-ranked grad dept. 

Oh, DUH! Thanks @KLPLANTER. I'm quite familiar with the study, it's one of those they drill in your head, especially in public health and discussions of research with "vulnerable populations" and legacies of distrust. I didn't know he came out of WashU but that makes perfect sense then. I noticed all the hiring they've been doing but that makes it much more clear why it was gone. 

7 hours ago, redhillgirl said:

I applied to Wisconsin and Washington. You've got a bunch of good schools on your list, which specifically are you shooting for?

18 hours ago, redhillgirl said:

I will join you in agonizing over Northwestern, Cornell, NYU, Wisconsin and Washington :)

I'm on mobile so I can't see red's signature/list of programs! 

Of all days for my Internet to go out, and I'm left with fussy 3g! At least I have 3g, but it only works when it feels like it. I do not wanna miss an email! 

22 minutes ago, gingin6789 said:

I'm on mobile so I can't see red's signature/list of programs! 

Of all days for my Internet to go out, and I'm left with fussy 3g! At least I have 3g, but it only works when it feels like it. I do not wanna miss an email! 

I noticed that you are applying to CU Boulder. I did my undergraduate there. You should PM me if you want some details on the program. Things you should know.

4 minutes ago, isthisagoodidea said:

I just received word a publication submission has been accepted by a law journal (I'm applying for sociology of law). Should I let departments know? If so, how? Maybe it's too late to matter?

You should definitely let them know. I'd email the graduate coordinator and the grad chair. Just say you wanted to inform them of a CV update/that you have been published in a relevant journal.    

5 minutes ago, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

You should definitely let them know. I'd email the graduate coordinator and the grad chair. Just say you wanted to inform them of a CV update/that you have been published in a relevant journal.    

Ok, so not the admissions department? You don't think emailing the grad coordinator/chair is too direct? Should I actually include an updated CV, or just let them know of the development?

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by isthisagoodidea

12 hours ago, fall2016applicant said:

I applied to Wisconsin and Washington. You've got a bunch of good schools on your list, which specifically are you shooting for?

Actually i didnt eventually apply to Cornell.  Im interested in com-his sociology and critical theories :) my best fits are Wisconsin,  NW, Yale and NYU

1 hour ago, Katastrophe said:

I will join you in agonizing over Northwestern, Cornell, NYU, Wisconsin and Washington :)

Yay! What r ur interests?

I think washington shd start informing some of the admits this week or next.....

Edited by redhillgirl